PDA

View Full Version : high-speed video of Dr. Dave's dog

dr_dave
06-23-2005, 02:57 PM
The end of my August '05 BD instructional article (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/bd_articles/aug05.pdf) just got cut by the editors at BD due to space constraints. (That's right, we have to write these things two months in advance.) The portion that won't appear in the print edition starts at the bottom of page 4, after the HSV A.60 reference. It describes and shows some high-speed video footage of my dog that passed away recently. You might be asking yourself: "Has Dr. Dave gone nuts ... why the heck is he telling us about this?" Well, I have two reasons:

- I want people to be able to read the cut material because it is important to me and because I went through the trouble to write it.

- "Girl" (my dog's name) demonstrates a skill important in pool. You will need to look at the article (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/bd_articles/aug05.pdf) to know what I mean.

The video clip can be viewed at: Dr. Dave's non-pool high-speed video website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/high_speed_video/) ("dog bone catch" in the Hall of Fame).

Enjoy!

theinel
06-24-2005, 03:29 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your dog and I'm sorry to hear that your article got cut as well.

A few years back I remember seeing a video of a golf club striking a golf ball and the lighting was so hot that the tee the ball was sitting on was smoldering. I know that cues are slower than golf clubs but did you have any problems with the heat generated by the lighting? With a faster camera and more/better lighting do you think that anything we aren't seeing in your videos would be revealed? Just curious.

Billy_Bob
06-24-2005, 06:45 AM
Well I hope they left in the part about the making of high speed videos. These videos have been a very important part of my learning to play process.

Unfortunately, I can't take your videos to the pool hall to show other players, who do not know how to use a computer.

I wish I could show them a high speed video of a double hit.

Everyone is hung up on the "chalk cube's distance" thing with double hits and say you can't have a double hit if the cue ball is more than this distance from the object ball.

I don't know... Maybe you could do an article on double hits with the cue ball 4 inches away from the object ball?

Show a picture of the shot on the pool table, then below that show clips from the high speed video.

Then maybe some of these players would see that and understand double hits better? I try to explain these things, but other players just don't get it.

As they say, a picture is worth 1000 words...

dr_dave
06-24-2005, 08:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr>I'm sorry to hear about your dog and I'm sorry to hear that your article got cut as well.<hr /></blockquote>
Thank you for your symapathies. I miss her. It seems like she was the only constant in my life for 13 years. Dogs really can be a man's best friend.

Concerning my article, only the last part was cut, not the entire thing. But I really liked the last part.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr>A few years back I remember seeing a video of a golf club striking a golf ball and the lighting was so hot that the tee the ball was sitting on was smoldering. I know that cues are slower than golf clubs but did you have any problems with the heat generated by the lighting? With a faster camera and more/better lighting do you think that anything we aren't seeing in your videos would be revealed? Just curious.<hr /></blockquote>
With high-speed photography, in general, the more light the better (smaller aperture, better clarity, better depth of field, etc.). Things I have experienced with the high-intensity lights I use are:
- sunburn
- burnt hairs on my arm (smells really nice)
- lots of squinty eyes (while trying to execute shots with the hot lights on and with reflections off the cue ball).
- smoke coming off the finish on my rail (when I take too long to execute a shot).

High-speed photography can be quite fun.

Dave

dr_dave
06-24-2005, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> Well I hope they left in the part about the making of high speed videos. These videos have been a very important part of my learning to play process.<hr /></blockquote>
Yep. They cut only the part about my dog.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr>Unfortunately, I can't take your videos to the pool hall to show other players, who do not know how to use a computer.<hr /></blockquote>
Actually, you can with a laptop, if you copy some of the clips to your harddisk or if you have a copy of the CD-ROM.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr>I wish I could show them a high speed video of a double hit.

Everyone is hung up on the "chalk cube's distance" thing with double hits and say you can't have a double hit if the cue ball is more than this distance from the object ball.

I don't know... Maybe you could do an article on double hits with the cue ball 4 inches away from the object ball?

Show a picture of the shot on the pool table, then below that show clips from the high speed video.

Then maybe some of these players would see that and understand double hits better? I try to explain these things, but other players just don't get it.

As they say, a picture is worth 1000 words... <hr /></blockquote>
I assume you have seen HSV A.9 through A.12 (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/high_speed_videos/index.html). I think they tell the story fairly well. Maybe I'll write an article on this soon and provide normal videos to go along with the HSV clips. That way people can also hear the action and see what the shots really look like.

Thanks,
Dave

Qtec
06-24-2005, 11:23 AM
dave, I know how you feel.
I shot this a few years ago. She was the best and sweetest dog I,ve ever had.....and the biggest! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Enjoy.

my dog (http://members.lycos.nl/agli2/)
Scroll down to my dog Susie.

Qtec

bluey2king
06-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Dr. Dave Good video!
More Importantly Great Dog!! I also know what it is like to lose a Great Dog. I did find comfort after a while. A friend at work suggested I go to the Big dog show in Denver in Feburary. I did and I got hooked up with the Rescue folks. In my case it was a Rottweiler I lost "Yogi" They are Great folks that do what they do for the love of dogs. They were very protective and I had to pass their approval of being a good owner. (Rotties are very good but a lot of people want them for the wrong reasons) They did a great job matching the right dog for us, so well a year later we adopted another one she was rescued on 9-11-01. I pass this on to you because I know what that hole in the heart is like and it can be filled again. I hope it will be.
your friend

dr_dave
06-24-2005, 01:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr> Dr. Dave Good video!
More Importantly Great Dog!! I also know what it is like to lose a Great Dog. I did find comfort after a while. A friend at work suggested I go to the Big dog show in Denver in Feburary. I did and I got hooked up with the Rescue folks. In my case it was a Rottweiler I lost "Yogi" They are Great folks that do what they do for the love of dogs. They were very protective and I had to pass their approval of being a good owner. (Rotties are very good but a lot of people want them for the wrong reasons) They did a great job matching the right dog for us, so well a year later we adopted another one she was rescued on 9-11-01. I pass this on to you because I know what that hole in the heart is like and it can be filled again. I hope it will be.
your friend<hr /></blockquote>
Thanks for the kind message. I might get another dog; but with a hectic year of travel ahead, I might wait a while.

Thanks again,
Dave