PDA

View Full Version : Top of the line - "no frills" cue stick

megalomando
06-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Hi all,

I'm tired of using the "stock" cue sticks at the local pool halls and would like to get a really excellent one for myself. I would like a top of the line cue but one without any frills. I'm happy to have one made of excellent materials and with no points or inlay of any kind.

I would also like one with no taper for the first 11" or so.

There's no place locally to look at various cues so I would appreciate advice on which model of a McDermott or other USA maker would I be best to look for.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thank you

Gary

1Time
06-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Welcome. It probably will help to give some sort of price range. The points on some cues like Meucci arguably make the cues better. The best thing to do is shoot with as many different cues as you can to get a feel for what you like. If you're not able to do this and just want a "blind" recommendation, you're likely to get a few here shortly.

Drop1
06-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Try the most expensive cue you can afford,that looks like want you want. Then take your stock cue,and go practice basics /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PQQLK9
06-26-2005, 01:33 PM
http://www.schoncues.com/assets/images/stl1-200.jpg

Here is a basic Schon that you might like. I use a Schon and love mine.

Of course you can have one Cu$tom made.

Good luck in your search and welcome to the best Pool Forum on the web.

Leviathan
06-26-2005, 01:55 PM
You might take a look at the Mezz Exotic Hardwood Series cues: http://www.miki-mezz.com/english/EC-SERIES.html . Good materials and workmanship--more or less the Japanese equivalent of the cue Nick recommends.

AS

Billy_Bob
06-26-2005, 02:03 PM
The following place on the internet gives you many choices. Here is an example of all the options you can choose.
(Scroll down half way to Custom...)
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/viking/viking_f70_pool_cue.htm

Keep in mind some cues come with weight bolts which can be changed to change the weight of the cue somewhat. Best to determine what specific weight you want first though.

And for size of the shaft at the tip, you can have 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, etc.

Then a leather tip, pig skin tip, etc.

A dime shaped tip, a nickel shaped tip, etc.

A pro taper or euro taper on the shaft.

A wrap on the butt or no wrap.

And there are many different types of joints...
http://www.predatorcues.com/english/jointtypes.htm

megalomando
06-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Hi & thanks for the responses thus far.

There aren't many really nice pool cues around the area for me to try. I suspect they're around but not where I have seen them. I have seen mostly low end sticks from good manufacturers like $250 retail McDermott & Viper sticks but nothing mid & upper range.

I'm a professional musician and I know when I look for an instrument, the first thing I do is listen for the sound it makes. The second thing I do is look at the condition & construction (Flimsy vs well crafted). The next thing is how it is set up to play and least important is the looks. A collector of instruments wants the detailing & inlay work for an investment. I want an axe to make a living with If it meets my needs and is a plain Jane, I'm happy.

The price I will pay for an instrument depends on the first two criteria, not the later two. It is my expectation that anything I want that is constructed would follow the same patterns of importance. In cue sticks, I want the best functionality and components, I am not thrilled with inlay. The price I will pay depends on the functional quality of the cue stick.

I would consider paying up to $450 at one of the discount cue brokers.

If the price difference between the sticks comes down to the degree of detailing on a stick then what stick would be considered the minimum priced but still as excellent in function as a McDermott Elite stick with all the inlaying?

Hope this clears up my question

& thank you again,

Gary

GStrong
06-26-2005, 03:13 PM
I have a Predator 4K1 and love it. NO frills, just beautiful high polished black, double silver rings, and of course a 314 shaft, Retails for $420.

kenz54
06-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Just my opinion but I have tried many types of sticks and what I think is the best quality for the money is a schuler cue. I have 7 of them. They start at $350.00 for a solid, non fancy cue. They even have 10 different shafts you can choose from. check out www.schulercue.com (http://www.schulercue.com)

sneakypapi
06-26-2005, 07:59 PM
I would like to point out that for $450 or so you can get a custom made plain jane model made by a few american cuemakers. When you order a custom cue then you can specify taper, tip size, weight and balance points (some cuemakers cues play a certain way and are known for their hit). You have mentioned McDermott a few times, for $450 you can get a fancier model, since it is production most models will play the same you are just paying for more intricate work.

JPB
06-26-2005, 09:47 PM
I don't know that you'll be satisfied with a mcdermott or somesuch given how you are talking about instruments. Why don't you think about a plain cue like a scruggs or capone or something. There are other custom cuemakers out there who make plain stuff. If you spend 500-900 I bet you can find something nice. 450 you might not be happy long term.

Regulator
06-26-2005, 10:56 PM
It's tough when you don't live in an area with lots to try.

You're a musician, so you probably get the concept of getting a 'good' instrument, really learning it and then possibly getting an excellent one.

I agree with the http://www.billiardwarehouse.com suggestion, though I'd stick with McDermott because they have the best warranty. (Disclaimer - I own a few McDermotts, though my regular cue is still a Mezz ZZ with a 314 shaft.)

Also, you can buy McDermotts from 'authorized' dealers on eBay at BIG discounts - I've bought a few that way. For example, you can get a M3-9A for about $450 instead of $720 or a M3-9B with case and Lucasi jump cue for $461 instead of over $700.

I've bought from or know people who have bought from:

http://stores.ebay.com/Side-Pocket-Billiards-LLC_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm (bought M3-9A)

http://stores.ebay.com/GoBilliards-com_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm

http://stores.ebay.com/Nielsens-Billiards_McDermott-Sledgehammer-cues_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQpZ5QQtZkm

As long as the Seller has a lot of transactions with near perfect feedback, I wouldn't worry about them - I've bought 12 cues on eBay with only 1 minor issue on a used cue that was easily resolved.

megalomando
06-28-2005, 09:00 AM
Hi again,

Thank you all for your replies. As it is, I did find a cue on the internet. As the fates would have it, I decided to buy one with a cocobolo cue as rosewood is a favorite of mine.

Thank you again for your replies.

Cheers,

Gary

SPetty
06-28-2005, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote megalomando:</font><hr> Thank you all for your replies. As it is, I did find a cue on the internet. As the fates would have it, I decided to buy one with a cocobolo cue as rosewood is a favorite of mine.<hr /></blockquote>Well, Gary?? What cue did you buy? Where did you buy it? Got pictures? How much did you end up spending? Is cocobolo the same thing as rosewood?

dmgwalsh
06-28-2005, 09:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kenz54:</font><hr> Just my opinion but I have tried many types of sticks and what I think is the best quality for the money is a schuler cue. I have 7 of them. They start at $350.00 for a solid, non fancy cue. They even have 10 different shafts you can choose from. check out www.schulercue.com (http://www.schulercue.com) <hr /></blockquote>

Just was out to the factory this weekend and I picked one up with two "American" shafts for 14.1. Very nice hit, feel and balance.

megalomando
06-28-2005, 10:28 AM
<hr /></blockquote>Well, Gary?? What cue did you buy? Where did you buy it? Got pictures? How much did you end up spending? Is cocobolo the same thing as rosewood? <hr /></blockquote>

Well, it's kind of embarassing... I set out looking for a top of the line cue with no frills and ended up with something quite different than I set out looking for. I ended up with a McDermott Bridgeport Photo of the Bridgeport M29B (http://tinyurl.com/7e82l) (click on the photo for a close-up view of the picture) which is probably the anthesis of "no frills". I bought it on ebay. As to the price, it was a bit more than I planned to spend. Yes, cocobolo is in the rosewood family. It's a particularly oily and dense rosewood which when sanded fine and polished gives a spectacular color and grain.

I have a guitar made of Cocobolo &amp; two of old forest Brazilian Rosewood and the Cocobolo is easily the equal to Brazilian appearance &amp; tone wise. When I saw this cue made of Cocobolo &amp; as it has Turquoise inlays (My birthstone) I decided it was calling to me...

I suspect this will be a cue I won't quickly "grow out of" but again... It's not the "no Frills" top of the line I started out looking for..

SPetty
06-28-2005, 10:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote megalomando:</font><hr> Well, it's kind of embarassing... I ended up with a McDermott Bridgeport which is probably the anthesis of "no frills".<hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Thanks for the response - you made me laugh. Looks like a real pretty cue and I bet you fall in love with it real quick. Thanks for sharing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara
06-28-2005, 10:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote megalomando:</font><hr>
Well, it's kind of embarassing... I set out looking for a top of the line cue with no frills and ended up with something quite different than I set out looking for.
<hr /></blockquote>

Oh yeah, that's definitely a "top-of-the-line, no-frills" cue.

Oh yeah.

Pretty cue.

Barbara

megalomando
06-28-2005, 11:15 AM
<hr /></blockquote>

Oh yeah, that's definitely a "top-of-the-line, no-frills" cue.

Oh yeah.

Pretty cue.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

LOL, Well... I did ask for that.

I followed up with 1/2 of my subject line but blew it on the "No Frills" end....

I passed by a lot of cues because they were so ornate &amp; then when I saw the M29B with it's Cocobolo, I thought it was a true work of art &amp; not just frilly.

So I kinda said well... If I can afford a Harley then why not pay a fraction of that for a cue that is beautiful. I will use the cue daily for many years &amp; the Harley is in bed every day during the winter...

Cough

BigRigTom
06-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Congratulations on the cue and don't forget to enjoy the Harley as well.

I hope you find them both to be great companions for many years to come.

My choice was a Viking VX10 and a Honda GoldWing for much the same reasons...they sometimes call to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

sneakypapi
06-28-2005, 05:05 PM
You want to know something intresting, that cue has a metal joint, not too many McDermotts have a metal joint, is it a quick release joint? or their standard 3/8 x 10 pin? I would bet the quick release hits real nice with that metal joint more on the firmer hit side.

John_Madden
06-29-2005, 08:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote megalomando:</font><hr> Hi again,

Thank you all for your replies. As it is, I did find a cue on the internet. As the fates would have it, I decided to buy one with a cocobolo cue as rosewood is a favorite of mine.

Thank you again for your replies.

Cheers,

Gary <hr /></blockquote>

Cocobolo takes any "no frills" cue out of the <font color="red"> </font color> jane catagory - it is a really beautiful wood. I have a lot of customers who have chosen to have Cocobolo as the wood for their custom plain jane cue (they are all different due to color shades and grain patterns) - Cocobolo just makes a beautiful cue.
Jack
www.johnmaddencues.

theinel
06-30-2005, 08:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote megalomando:</font><hr>...it was calling to me...<hr /></blockquote>
I know the feeling. Whenever I buy something big I start out with a price range and a set of features and then something starts calling to me (and my wallet).

Iconcues
07-02-2005, 08:04 PM
You need to either get a hercek or a schick!! the rest are just buying a name! stay away from rest. I do buy some just for thier name .but if i was on a limited budget(wich Iam not)those are the 2 forget the rest /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

rukiddingme
07-03-2005, 05:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kenz54:</font><hr> Just my opinion but I have tried many types of sticks and what I think is the best quality for the money is a schuler cue. I have 7 of them. They start at $350.00 for a solid, non fancy cue. They even have 10 different shafts you can choose from. check out www.schulercue.com (http://www.schulercue.com) <hr /></blockquote>
Schuler cues do play great!
ruk

iconcuecom
07-04-2005, 01:39 PM
just wanted to make sure people knew the poster i am replying to is an impostor. it's the cross dressing cue broker fromerly known as cuegirl. she did the same thing at azb.
please disregard any posts by this "person". they have nothing to do with me or iconcue.com

thanks