PDA

View Full Version : Cue balance question

tjlmbklr
06-26-2005, 01:52 PM
I recall in the past from insructual books and videos that the cue should be gripped about 6" behind the balance point. Me being 6'0" with what I believe to be long arms, makes this seem out of proportion when gripping the cue. The bridge address is about 5-6" very short, with elbow at less then 90 degrees. If I grab the cue so my arm is at 90, at address, then I am gripping almost on the end of the cue At this point the wrap has no function, only cosmetic. I have considered a custom cue, so what do I make longer, the shaft, won't this bring the balance forward, furturing my issue. Any advice.

pooltchr
06-26-2005, 03:21 PM
Don't worry about the balance point...it is going to be forward of your grip.
Your forearm should be 90 degrees at the time when your tip is within a quarter inch from the cue ball.
A longer custom cue might be more confortable for your body size.
Steve

Regulator
06-26-2005, 11:05 PM
"I recall in the past from insructual books and videos that the cue should be gripped about 6" behind the balance point."

No disrespect, but you have faulty recall. Since the balance point is typically 1/2" to 3" above the wrap, your grip would be way too far forward.

Most pictures of pros in competition show their grip near the end of the wrap or even a finger or two below the wrap.

90 degrees is the ticket.

tjlmbklr
06-27-2005, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
your grip would be way too far forward <hr /></blockquote>

I agree, which is the reason for my confusion, and this post!