PDA

View Full Version : Secret Systems

wolfdancer
06-26-2005, 01:54 PM
I used to play in the small, 5 table pool room, located in a bowling alley. The aiming system employed there, as used by the "old-timers" was to aim at the convergence of the two shadows, created by the overhead lights. Don't know if it really worked....I couldn't make a ball on those 9 ft'rs, and it may just have been an urban legend designed to relieve a neophyte player like me, out of their drug and alcohol money.
The next system that I was shown...I've mentioned here before...an 80 yr old, Damon Runyon type character...reputed to be one of San Francisco's finest pickpockets in his younger days, but was now just a small time "booster" (re: shoplifter)....ah, the infirmities of old age...anyway, he told me that the secrets were to
A...grit my teeth
B..."fire" on the third stroke, or was it the second?
The complexities of the system eluded me though, but I did manage to chip a tooth.
My new secret system....is to hit point "X" on the O.B. with point "X" on the cueball....occasionally they do intersect, with some positive results

Cueless Joey
06-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Center of the cb to center/contact point of ob.
Edge of cb to center of ob.
Edge of cb to contact point of ob.
Edge of cb to edge of ob.
Side of ferrule to contact point.
All I need to do now is get a protractor and some those donut stickies so I can test em all.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
06-27-2005, 06:33 AM
Here are some non secret systems:

Geometrically Correct:

Double the distance
Center of the overlap

Ecclectic:

Edge of ferrule
Tip to contact point
Points of Light
The Ultimate Aiming Method
The IMMSHARMA method

and of course any of the Houle methods:

Edge aiming
Small Ball
9/16ths
Shish Kebab

--------------------------------------------
Fred

Voodoo Daddy
06-27-2005, 08:04 AM
The 2 clocks, the mirror and the 7 table systems are my choices...<thanks to Johnny Ervolino, Dan Carlson and Danny Gartner>. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
06-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Fred, living a sheltered life, I haven't been exposed to many of the systems that you mentioned.
IMMSHARMA actually has a viable system?
9/16"...never heer'd of it..... when I was in the Navy,I carried around a small crescent wrench, that opened up to 9/16"...it fit so many hex head screws that we used to say you could take the whole sub apart with a 9/16" wrench.
Shish Kebob???
Here's something I found interesting, ironic even???
Hal "chewed" me out for implying that a 1/2 ball hit would make all cuts.....not quite what I was trying to say though.
So last nite I giggled "Hal houle"...or is that Googled?
and there it was, on the Johnny Archer site:
" When players write to you, asking how to aim, your pat answer is to say that you get three feet back from the shot, then you shoot parallel lines. That is all hogwash. That is not how you aim. Why don't you level with these recreational players? You use the aiming system whereby you aim the center of the cue ball at the edge of the object ball for any and all shots. You know exactly what I am talking about. We both know about placing the cue tip either left or right of cue ball center, and you know why we do that. Get honest for a change. These recreational players are no threat. Tell them the truth. - Hal Houle
To: Hal Houle: I really don't know why you keep writing about my aiming system. Everybody that is listening, IT IS MY AIMING SYSTEM. I hope this would relieve some pressure that you have. Thanks, Johnny"

.........Kind of what I do for a variety of cut shots.

You omitted one very important method.....Jimmy Reid's
He states "hold the cue out at about a 45'angle (port arms)
see the shot in the air, step into it, drop down and shoot...."

And the parallel line method at least gives you the contact point on the cueball....so many new players see the OB aim point...but...
I saw one other aiming system a few years back.
Think of the O.B. as having two dividing lines running
through it one parallel to the long rail...the other the short. It's an equal/opposite method that is easy to visualise.
Shish kebob??????????

Well most of us agree that there is something to Hal's many methods....and they can help you pocket a ball.....
but can they help,say tell you when and how to miss the shot???