PDA

View Full Version : Buying a pool table what do u think link inside

kyzersoze
06-28-2005, 02:37 AM
Hello everybody i've gotten into billiards alot this past year. I've been wanting a table for awhile now and found this table for sale. Im a complete begineer but want something thats going to last a long time. Im looking for a 8 foot table with a 1"thick slate. $1500 is the most i can afford. I found this table a couple weeks ago let me know what you think.

Both websites are selling the table
http://pooltabledirect.com/

http://sharkyspooltables.com/

its the tuburon

Tiburon Pool Table - $895
Retails for $3700!

Beautiful 4'x8', regulation size maple wood pool table with trim and molding, has inlaid mother of pearl diamond sites. It comes with 1" thick, 3-piece slate, carved legs, super speed cushions and green felt (optional felt color available). The table comes with plastic pockets. If you like the matching leather pockets like in the Photo Above - additional $100.00

The table comes with warranty and lifetime guarantee on the integrity of the slate.

Place a phone order today, and have the pool table delivered ASAP. Limited quantity, call now, toll free (877) 439-2510.

I went to sharky pool tables. They charge $895 for the table $100 extra for leather pockets (comes with plastic pockets) Its $200 for delivery and they'll set it up for you. the table looks really nice.

Any help would be appreciated

tjlmbklr
06-28-2005, 04:13 AM
Sounds to good to be true. I just bought a Olhausen that I thought was a good deal, this one was also overstock, I paid $1650 for it

JimS
06-28-2005, 04:20 AM
I don't think that the internet is a place to buy something like a pool table. You need to find someplace where you can look under the table to check construction methods/materials. Ask youself why would they get $895 and others get twice that... or more? Also the felt may be just that. Good cloth is imperative and good cloth is expensive.

Look for a good used table.

Fred Agnir
06-28-2005, 05:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kyzersoze:</font><hr> Im looking for a 8 foot table with a 1"thick slate. $1500 is the most i can afford. I found this table a couple weeks ago let me know what you think.

Both websites are selling the table
http://pooltabledirect.com/

http://sharkyspooltables.com/

its the tuburon

Tiburon Pool Table - $895
Retails for $3700!

Beautiful 4'x8', regulation size maple wood pool table with trim and molding, has inlaid mother of pearl diamond sites. It comes with 1" thick, 3-piece slate, carved legs, super speed cushions and green felt (optional felt color available). The table comes with plastic pockets. If you like the matching leather pockets like in the Photo Above - additional $100.00

The table comes with warranty and lifetime guarantee on the integrity of the slate.

Place a phone order today, and have the pool table delivered ASAP. Limited quantity, call now, toll free (877) 439-2510.

I went to sharky pool tables. They charge $895 for the table $100 extra for leather pockets (comes with plastic pockets) Its $200 for delivery and they'll set it up for you. the table looks really nice.

Any help would be appreciated

<hr /></blockquote>For the specs. you listed, you found your table.

Fred &lt;~~~ I might buy it just for the hell of it.

BigRigTom
06-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Buying a pool table is just not as simple as you might think.
You should consider what is important to you and in what order.
Do you want a table that is NICE looking and blends with the furniture (is this the most important thing?) or is it more important to have a good quality table that plays good, is durable and has accurate rails, cushions, can be leveled, standard pockets (or customized to a specific size opening), drop pockets or ball return. This might make the furniture-like look a secondary consideration.

You have started out right....by deciding how much you want to spend. The next step should be to decide on what you wish to spend it. As you probably have found out already pool tables can cost anywhere from a couple of hundred to many thousands of dollars so it is not easy to maximize the value for the money you want to spend. It is however a rewarding experience when done correctly.
If having a good quality table is important and you also want a furniture look then you should look into buying a used table because for $1500 you won't find both those requirements in a new table for that price.
Use 8 foot tables are fairly easy to fine, a lot of people buy a table new then quickly lose interest in the sport then the table is just in the way. It is also not easy to move so people end up taking a beating on the price just to get it out of the house.

Since you say you are new to pool, stick with the brand names of tables and you don't have to worry so much about the way they are constructed. Brunswick, Olhausen, Murray are all good tables and have a fairly wide selection.
I like Brunswick my self.
My table is in my garage so it doesn't have to match the furniture.
I bought a used professional (92"x46" playing surface) 8 foot Brunswick for $250, I then got a friend to recover it with Championship Ultra cloth that was another $300 including the cloth and this table plays a lot like the Gold Crowns you play on at many pool halls even though it was made around 1974 and is now OVER 30 years old.
The point is....there are some great deals out there if you're willing to shop around.
$1500 will get you a GREAT used table but only a fair new one.

Good luck and I recommend you keep shopping for a while, make sure you will be happy with that $895 deal before you spend your money.

Brad
06-28-2005, 10:36 AM
If you're looking for a cheap table that a couple of 14yr old kids can beat the crap out of for a couple of years, and then literally throw away, you picked the right table.

Lifetime warranty? Yeah, who's lifetime? The internet store? The China Factory? Forget it. For $895, you get what you paid for. God bless you.

This table is a POS, period! It will be level for a day or two. Your playfield specs. will never be exact. Your pockets, even if upgraded to leather, will fall apart. The finish on the table will never last a cleaning, so be careful. I think all you people buying these cheap China tables deserve everything you get. I suppose you buy your fine furniture from Costco, too. Or, your fine Rolex from the internet.

I apologize for my sarcasm. It just makes me mad to see people getting sold crap like that. And then you lose interest in the game. Your wife will never let you buy another table when this one falls apart, so you will not be happy.

Please, just visit a redputable dealer oof the tables mentioned above. Let them educate you on the differences. Then, at least, your educated on the products available, instead of just price.

Best of luck

Jude_Rosenstock
06-28-2005, 12:44 PM
I've played on some home-tables and found they can really be hit or miss (no pun intended). My worst experience goes to a family in midtown, New York City. I used to give lessons to their sons twice a month. The pockets were so huge, it gave me a headache.

In my opinion, if you're looking for a table that plays like a poolroom table, only consider commercial models. They're not as pretty and frequently a little expensive but you'll never have to worry about how it plays.

kyzersoze
06-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Thank you for all the replies. I mostly care about getting a well made quality table thats going to last me a long time. Looks come last to how well it plays. The table's going in the garage so furniture matching doesn't matter. These past two days i've been getting educated about tables courtesy of this website and others.I wanted a table so bad i almost bought that tiburon the day i saw it. Luckily i didn't have money on me.Im going to visit aaabiliards.com hopefully today to check out there Olhausen tables. According to there website, they sometimes have used tables at some of there locations.

Has anyone heard of http://www.pooltables.la/? They have a store i might check out this week. They sell Connelly tables.

thanks again

ceebee
06-28-2005, 04:30 PM
ONE THING YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER is this. The table isn't all you have to buy. You have to have good lighting &amp; you need good balls, that alone can add up to a minimum of $700. You will need a couple of good table brushes, maybe a crutch &amp; a cue rack... the list goes on.

Ask yourself these questions? Do I want to be competitive after I learn to play? What kind of table will I compete on? (for most of my matches, 7 or 9 foot table). What kind of game will I choos to compete in. Those 3 questions say a lot for your directional goals. Since most amateur tournaments are on bar boxes, having a Valley Bar Box to practice on is the way to go. If you want to learn Straight Pool or 1-Pocket, a good Gold Crown is your possible target table.

Get yourself an instructor FIRST.

Good Luck