PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Dave's TP _A.11 Revisited

Fred Agnir
06-28-2005, 05:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For shots with cut angles close to one of the three angle references, when I hit the CB where I was aiming, I pocketed balls. For shots like the example in TP A.11, when I hit the CB where I was aiming, I missed.

Often, when I miss a shot, it is because I didn't hit the CB where I was aiming. I think my aim is usually fairly good, but my stroke execution isn't always as good. <hr /></blockquote> In my opinion, the above boldfaced may and should disqualify your observations. I know that stings, but hear me out.

I set up the shot at league play lasat night. The one person who had no chance at making it was one of the top shooters in our league. I stood behind him, and he was clearly outside of the aim to the edge of the cueball. This is a guy who has run 75 balls and doesn't play straight pool. A true APA-7 in APA 8-ball. Nobody would confuse him with anything but above average player (B-B+)He's been playing the way he plays forever.

So, I asked him to align it like he would normally aim. When I stood behind him, lo and behold, he was in the exact line that I asked him to be in the first place, but he didn't see it that way. The coined term from Cuetech Pool School is Centergistics. As in, his centergistics was FUBAR.

Dave, self-diagnosing your misses can be a dangerous slippery slope if you don't use the correct tools, tools you should have learned in Pool School. The shot you drew up in TP_A1.1 can't miss. At least, if you use Hal's System. And the bar table I was on last night has a much smaller side pocket than a normal home or commercial table.

Shoot it at the head of the table. Maybe your spot is bad?

Fred

BoroNut
06-28-2005, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Dave, self-diagnosing your misses can be a dangerous slippery slope if you don't use the correct tools, tools you should have learned in Pool School.<hr /></blockquote>

The only thing you need to diagnose you stroke is a long straight in pot. This and only this shot tells you everything you need to know about how you are not hitting the cue ball in the centre, or are pulling your shot on the follow through. You can cut balls all night and not realise your faulty aim is compensated by your lousy stoke. Straight shots are the easiest shot in the book in terms of leeway on your cueing, but millions are convinced they are the hardest because they never learn to cue straight. Nothing is impossible once you can cue straight.

As far as Dave's tests go, it's the easiest thing in the world to use a line of balls to eliminate the human factor. The end ball can't go anywhere but straight.

Boro Nut