PDA

View Full Version : Intimidator shaft question

megalomando
06-28-2005, 10:05 AM
Hi,

If there is someone who has tried the three different Intimidator shafts; Intimidator I-Series shaft web page (http://tinyurl.com/azhjk) in your opinion how do they compare against other top of the line shafts? I have no doubt that they are excellent shafts but would like to know more about them.

I hear of the 314 & Z shafts as being quite desirable and would appreciate knowing more how McDermott's Intimidator shafts compare to other highly regarded shafts. I'd also appreciate knowing what you base your impressions on.

I tried a search for intimidator here but came up with no finds in the search engine.

Thanks,

Gary

SPetty
06-28-2005, 10:54 AM
You were so nice to me on the other thread...

Here's the CCB's past thread (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=156103&page=&vi ew=&sb=&o=&vc=1) on the Intimidator shaft, including input from Steve Suhm, Marketing Director for McDermott Cue!

drawshot
06-29-2005, 01:15 AM
I have a I2, it's a great shaft. Low deflection. As low as a Predator...pretty darn close. I have one of the original I2's the new ones come with a really short Ferulle. And this would be the probally come close to the Z shaft.

My current I2 has very little flex in the shaft. Mcdermott uses very nice wood. I did change the tip... found the Moori Med. a bit too hard. I am using a Melavia on mine now.

megalomando
07-01-2005, 05:33 AM
Thank you both.

I appreciate the replies.

It's interesting I haven't found a good read on comparisons between the i series & the front runners yet.

It does seem though the i2 is sold out more than the other two.

I do like the idea of minimal deflection. It seems as though the i3 went to a sharper taper to keep the deflection down. Considering the tip dimension perhaps this was the best way to keep the deflection at a minimal amount?

Again, thank you again for the replies.

Gary

PQQLK9
07-01-2005, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote megalomando:</font><hr>It's interesting I haven't found a good read on comparisons between the i series &amp; the front runners yet.Gary<hr /></blockquote>
web page (https://www.platinumbilliards.com/rating_deflect.php?sid=9487592ba907ecf4f6ccf8f2b05 5b8ad)

megalomando
07-02-2005, 05:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote megalomando:</font><hr>It's interesting I haven't found a good read on comparisons between the i series &amp; the front runners yet.Gary<hr /></blockquote>
web page (https://www.platinumbilliards.com/rating_deflect.php?sid=9487592ba907ecf4f6ccf8f2b05 5b8ad) <hr /></blockquote>

Thank you for this link. This does show one aspect of the different cues. It looks like the kind of evaluation I was hoping to find.

Thanks for the time taken to find &amp; post this link.

Gary

iusedtoberich
07-02-2005, 10:35 AM
I have played with a 314 for over 5 years, then a Z for 8 months, and now an I-3 from the time it first came out. When the I-shafts first game out, I spent several hours comparing the 314, Z, I-2 (the first one with the longer ferrule than the I-3), and I-3 side by side and shot for shot. All shafts had soft Moori tips excpet for the I-2 which had a medium Moori. My conclusion was that the 314 and I-2 play almost identically deflection wise and spin wise. The Z and I-3 are also identical in my opinion. The Z and I-3 have noticeably less deflection than the other two.

I found it was really a toss up between the two groups of shafts (Z and I-3 is one group, 314 and I-2 is the other). I am currently playing with the I-3 mostly because the Z was only available in a Uniloc joint when I got it, which limited the number of butts to one that I had available for it.

If you have played with a Predator and don't like it, I can't see how you would like an I-series shaft. They both have to be aimed substantially different than "conventional" shafts. Some previous Predator bashers on these forums now love the I-series shafts. I just don't understand that.

I don't trust the Platinum results. They conflict directly with my observations.

Finally, I rate myself at a low to mid B player. So take that into account when you decide if you want to put much faith in my assessment.

Good luck.

sneakypapi
07-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Actually, when I played with the Predator 314 shaft, I noticed that my accuracy did go down. I decided not to stick it out and try to adapt, for a couple of reasons, I didn't want to depend only on a 314 to play with and then if I had to switch to a regular shaft then what?

Also, tell me about the straightness of the McDermott I series when you roll them? I had a slight wobble in my brand new 314 (not enough to affect play, but it did bother me knowing it was there). How do those I series roll? are they dead straight?