PDA

View Full Version : Follow

poolcrazed
06-28-2005, 08:24 PM
I have heard a couple different answers to which tip position will cause natural roll immediately after leaving the cue tip (one tip up, three tips up). I have also heard that it is not possible to impart any spin faster than natural follow using a level cue. My question is, what happens to the energy from the cue stick that should be tranferred into rotational speed when hitting above center on the cue ball? Then, if we can't spin a cue ball faster than natural roll, where do the extreme follow effects come from?

Billy_Bob
06-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Practice the following "force follow" shots. Black dot on cue ball indicates where I hit it.

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/
(Copy from START to END and paste at above link.)

Hit following hard high and a little left and a LOT of follow through.

START(
%AD2D4%FD1Z8%Pg6G8%WE7E3%Xf7G5%eB0`5%_E2X6%`F9N0%a C7E7

)END

Hit following with medium stroke, high center, and a LOT of follow through. Makes object ball into side (actually a slight left cut) and cue ball deflects to right, hits rail, then goes down table.

START(
%AZ3Z7%PM3P4%WY1Z1%XM7Q0%eB4`5%_n4Y8%`[6Y6%aX5[1

)END

Jal
06-02-2006, 02:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolcrazed:</font><hr> I have heard a couple different answers to which tip position will cause natural roll immediately after leaving the cue tip (one tip up, three tips up). I have also heard that it is not possible to impart any spin faster than natural follow using a level cue. My question is, what happens to the energy from the cue stick that should be tranferred into rotational speed when hitting above center on the cue ball? Then, if we can't spin a cue ball faster than natural roll, where do the extreme follow effects come from? <hr /></blockquote>Not exactly a timely answer but:

To get natural roll immediately, the tip offset is 2/5's of the cueball's radius. Since you can reasonably hit up to about 1/2 the radius without miscuing (hopefully), you can induce a little more than natural roll spin, but not much. So the extreme follow effects come from just hitting hard. When the cueball comes to a stop, or nearly so after contacting another ball full or almost full, it still has most of this topspin which then propels it forward.

Jim