PDA

View Full Version : Questions and opinions about the "TR" fundraiser.

Tommy_Davidson
06-14-2002, 01:42 AM
> I have read a few of the posts about the Tony Robles fundraiser,and have a few questions about it. Are the proceeds from this event going to pay Tony's expenses while he is trying to qualify,and will any overflow of this fund be going to pay his expenses for attending Cardiff? Or is he paying his own expenses to qualify,and the fundraiser is to be used to defray his expenses for Cardiff? I ask these questions so I can better understand the situation. I personally would be absolutely thrilled at just the thought of someone doing this for me,even if I jokingly suggested it to people,much less if it actually happened. Without speculating on Tony's finacial situation or obligations,it must make him cry to think that people believe that much in his game,and think that much of him as a person,not to mention the good-sized finacial burden that has been lifted off his shoulders by friends,acquaintances,and complete strangers. That may also provide him with a little extra incentive,to practice more now that the issue of finances has been taken care of,and to play harder in Cardiff should he make it. I'm not sure how I'd go about thanking the people that organized something like this on my behalf,other than killing myself trying to make sure it reaps the reward that everyone wants it to,which a World title for their exceeding generousity. If Ginky volunteered for this act of total generousity for and faith in the recipient,that makes it even better,because Ginky very easily could have said "hell no,just another great player to have to worry about". He didn't,which speaks volumes for Ginky,who is also a close friend of Tony's,which makes it even sweeter. Who complained about this in the first place? Kind people that love the game,love a particular player,person,and a fellow competitor enough to offer to help pay for a great guy to try and accomplish a lifelong dream,and the goal of every serious player that ever lived,what can possibly be wrong with that? Even if there was more than enough money made to accomplish their goal,what difference does it make where the excess goes? Do you think the people who contribute to the Make-A-Wish Foundation or the Children's Miracle Network care,I think not. This was an effort to contribute to an cause which while not as important as granting a dying child's wish,as I have just used as an example,is just as sincere. Tommy Davidson.

06-14-2002, 03:06 AM
if you sift through all the junk on the robles thread, there was no complaint. not that i read, anyway. there was an offering of a suggestion. but like any message board, feuds take on a life of their own.

i think ALL the money goes to all expenses incurred at cardiff.

06-14-2002, 07:40 AM
Yeah, this fundraiser is beginning to look more like passing a bill through congress!!! With every step taken, there's another issue tacked on!

I hope people remember that this is about sending Tony to The World Championships, nothing more. I know that Ginky was supposed to participate in the fundraiser but at this point in time, that is no longer case. Ginky has practically been AWOL from the poolscene the past couple years so I was looking forward to such a match-up, especially with Tony in top form.

However, tomorrow is Tony's day and those that want to contribute will be given the opportunity to do so under the gracious generosity of Corner Billiards. It's a real shame that there are people who inadvertenly got upset by all this. I don't believe that was the intention of anyone on this board. Let's try and keep our eyes on the prize here and quit the filibustering!

Jude M. Rosenstock

06-14-2002, 10:04 AM
Jude Rosenstock: As always, you have cut through all the BS and hit the target on the mark....Filibustering sucks....

NYCPoolGuy