PDA

View Full Version : Breasts Not Bombs: Topless peace protest

SnakebyteXX
07-01-2005, 05:31 AM
Antiwar protesters go topless in Union Square
Meredith May, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, June 30, 2005

A dozen antiwar activists from Mendocino County took their tops off in San Francisco's Union Square shopping district Thursday, using what they said was their best weapon to get the public's attention.

The topless protest drew gawks and stares from passersby, some of whom couldn't believe what they were seeing.

"Whoa, get out your cameras and cover your children's eyes," said the driver of a motorized cable car packed with tourists, as he pulled to a stop in front of Macy's.

Members of the au naturale contingent Breasts Not Bombs said the war is indecent, not their nakedness. "Boobies never hurt anyone," said Sherry Glaser. But after more than two years at war, the public has become desensitized to protests, they said. So if they have to show a little skin to get attention, so be it.

web page (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/06/30/BAtopless30.DTL)

http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4936/banakedwar01ch695sk.jpg

SnakebyteXX
07-01-2005, 09:08 AM
Breasts for Bombs: Commentary

Date: 2005-07-01, 7:53AM PDT

Okay, since I was only visiting SF, I’m not sure if this qualifies as a SF post. But it happened in SF, and I was "lucky" enough to witness it in SF, so that seems close enough for government work.

And speaking of government work.

Yes, the War in Iraq is an abomination. Yes, the fact that I live in the same millennium as George W. Bush and "my time" here on earth coincides with what will undoubtedly be known through history only as "the short time before…" (as in Before and After—that is, if there is an After) keeps me up far too many nights.

But really, people. "Breasts for Bombs"? "Tits not Targets"? This was the apparent platform of a loosely (and I mean no visible underwires in evidence) organized, topless war demonstration by female protesters yesterday at Union Square. Did I mention the topless part?

Where to start. Well, the obvious is always a good place. The foundation of all valid rhetorical debate, never mind serious protest, is what we with the opposing thumbs call "logic". And try as I might, I simply have not been able to get my head around the reasoned thought process that leads to substituting mammaries for missiles in any relevant context.

How exactly would this work? Are we talking dropping dismembered boobs on Falujah? An engaging vision, no argument. And one has to assume the casualty count would be substantially less—another check in the "pro" column.

But let’s think about the message this sends our broader audience, shall we? Surely this would be the last straw for Tony. And as for the traumatized bombees, the best I could come up with was "Oh, it’s just those crazy infidels letting us know a woman has been made Secretary of State." Yeah, that must be it.

Now, onto the actual execution phase of the protest. As I strolled by the protesters once, twice…okay, three times (I couldn’t make up my mind which way Sutter St. was…) I counted 4 women, naked from the waist up. There may have been more. But let me say, the ones I saw were doing nothing for their cause.

First, Ms. There Is No Bra Anywhere Big Enough To Holster These Babies (actually, they were bigger than most 6-month-olds I know), do you not realize you are working against your own manifesto?!!

Again, presuming "Breasts not Bombs" as your platform—sweetheart, those puppies (a paltry metaphor) would do more damage from the top of a 3-story building than most air-launched Tomahawks!!!

And you, Ms. Bearded AND Topless. One word: Distraction. NOT GOOD in effective, focused communication of a central idea. The questions in my mind were endless: Did she take steroids to grow the beard? But then, how did the 40 Double D’s remain undiminished? Did any of this involve surgery or implants? And what was it you were saying, again?

Since their collective heart (if not the flesh covering it) was clearly in the right place, I am giving this little event the benefit of the doubt, and assuming it was the brainchild of a mind far more highly evolved than mine. And even though the small but mesmerized crowd it drew seemed to be mostly people taking pictures with cell phones, and people who spoke another language taking pictures with cell phones, you have my "Cross my Heart" support. I’m just afraid a 36 B, even with underwire, isn’t going to do much good. But anything for the cause. Peace off.

web page (http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/rnr/81971016.html)

AmazingBrewdini
07-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Jeez, seeing an old hippie azzed lesbian's boobs just make me wish we'd drop a couple of hundred MOAB's. Yeah that's what everybody wants to see: sagging old boobs on gray haired lezzies. Uh-huh yeah right. What's next shriveled old scrotums on display by old farts? Yeah that would really work! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif