PDA

View Full Version : CCB, Do We Represent Billiards For The Nation?

06-14-2002, 06:18 AM
I wondered what the thoughts are from y'all on what "cross-section factor" that you feel is represented here on the CCB. I personally feel that the crem ala crem(sp?) has collected here over the years(generally comparing CCB to all other boards) that BD has had this board available, but I field pessimism from some when I promote the uniqueness and depth of this board. Many non computer types simply state "YOU CAN'T LEARN TO PLAY POOL WITH THAT BOARD!" It is frustrating to try and explain that you CAN learn to play better FASTER with this wealth of experience(IMMHSO.) Skeptics, what can you do?

Tell me, should I shut my mouth or find a taller soapbox???sid

Q-guy
06-14-2002, 07:26 AM
Why would you become frustrated? You say they don't even have computers, so they are not even in a position to have an opinion. Why is the conversation even taking place? Regardless who is right or wrong, even if there is a right or wrong. You have appointed yourself as their teacher of truth and they may take offense to it. I would mind my own business, always a good policy in all cases. Makes life much more pleasant.

06-14-2002, 08:59 AM
Frustrated was a hasty description, probably over expressive but it was before my morning coffee. Also, I'd like to add that possibly half the opposition to a good opinion to boards such as CCB do run PCs and are connected. As far as minding my own business...well I merely try to relay anything helpful to those I call friends. Sorry if I made it sound like I was hammering on them, I quit talking as soon as the adversion is apparent, just my style. It's their loss and I felt it was an adequate question to ask here inside the group...sid

06-14-2002, 09:12 AM
I cant honestly take one piece of information that I have gotten off of this board and say that it has bettered my game in any way... mind you 90% of my friends are pool players and these kinds of conversations take place within our group on a daily basis, so this board is mostly a continuation of my real life discussions... others who might not have access to the quality of players that I have may find the information here much more valuable. I find that if I can weed through all of insults, belittlings (that a word?) and ego based coversations. Every now and then I will read something that is *interesting* to me and worth further evaluation. But mostly I am just having conversations with people that have something in common with me.

Rich R.
06-14-2002, 09:55 AM
I'm not sure you can learn how to play pool by reading the CCB, but you can skim a lot of good information and advice from this board.
My pool playing friends are mostly recreational players with no real desire to improve their game. I'm not a great player, myself, but I do want to improve and I have, since I started checking in on this board.
You still have to put in the table time, which is hard with all the other pressures of a busy life, but there is a lot of good to be found here.
Rich R.

SPetty
06-14-2002, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr> I cant honestly take one piece of information that I have gotten off of this board and say that it has bettered my game in any way... mind you 90% of my friends are pool players and these kinds of conversations take place within our group on a daily basis, so this board is mostly a continuation of my real life discussions... others who might not have access to the quality of players that I have may find the information here much more valuable. I find that if I can weed through all of insults, belittlings (that a word?) and ego based coversations. Every now and then I will read something that is *interesting* to me and worth further evaluation. But mostly I am just having conversations with people that have something in common with me. <hr></blockquote>Hi d0wnt0wn,

You've just described me. Although I play in league, the people aren't really as serious about improving their game as I want them to be. Since they're not all about me, they're not being the serious pool players I want them to be. /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif Anyway, I mention almost every week that "I've read something on a pool bulletin board...", but no one has ever asked about the board. I was elated when I found it (all by myself, no one told me about it) and thought others might enjoy it as well. But if they have no interest, I'm certainly not going to force it on them. The last thing we need is more people who provide "insults, belittlings (that a word?) and ego based coversations" without contributing more to the board.

I don't have "real" pool players to hang around with. Since I am probably a lowly C player, I can't force myself into the "good" players clique even if I could find one.

So, I can take several pieces of info that I've gotten directly off this board that have immediately improved my game in some small way. For example, the one I remember the most because it made so much sense was when aiming a straight in shot with no english, aim at the part of the object ball that touches the cloth or aim at the peak of the object ball. I had always aimed at the center of the ball, which is a little more difficult to find. I wish I could provide attribution, but I didn't remember who said it here.

stickman
06-14-2002, 10:20 AM
I feel that I have gleaned some pretty good information from this board. Where I live and play it's amazing how few players study the game. I have found a few that I can talk to that have read books, taken lessons, or in some way studied the game in an attempt to improve. Most of the players around here Just Play. It's funny, I was at the poolhall last night and talking to a friend about instructional tapes, books and such, and I mentioned the CCB to him. He has a computer, but said he doesn't like chat rooms. I explained that the forum isn't a chat room, that you can post a question and return later to see what replies you get. He didn't seem interested, so I left it at that. I certainly can't find the variety of talent and experience found here anywhere else that I know of. I sure won't find it in my hometown.

06-14-2002, 11:54 AM
Stickman,

I have definitely shared your experience in that many people that I know and shoot with have little desire to truly improve their game.

Some spend a great deal of time "practicing", but shooting out racks does nothing to improve your game if you do not improve your technique. When shooting league, I have offered my collection of books to anyone on my team that was willing to take the time to read them, but my offers have only drawn limited interest.

It gets frustrating when a player complains that he/she missed an easy shot or lost a match that should have won when they are not willing to put forth the effort to take their game to the next level. They say that it's just a "game" and they are out just to have fun, but I don't see those same people having fun when they are getting their tails handed to them by someone that's a student of the game.

The main problem with these people is that they have yet to even learn the true fundamentals of the game. I am not a big proponent of the works of "The Monk", but "Point the Way" is an easy read for someone that needs to learn to focus on the basics.

Just my $.02 on the subject...

06-14-2002, 11:57 AM
here stickman I could use a little information from you.. what do i have to do to get a graphic into my posts like your lil stick dude there??

06-14-2002, 12:01 PM
My girlfriend plays in the same league as me on a trophy division team.. sometimes she gets so upset about how she played that nightthat she almost starts to cry.... I get a little upset with her at times and tell her .."how can you be upset when youwont take any of my instruction and you never practice... what do you expect?".... you are right it is very frustrating.. I have since stopped trying to help her in any way.. keeps our relashionship on more stable ground.

Tom_In_Cincy
06-14-2002, 12:08 PM
Hey Sid,, been a long time, good to see ya posting again,

Do we represent Billiards for the Nation?
Of course we do, but to what degree? I think it is probably a "fair" cross representation, but not one that would be considered scientific at all.

Being able to articulate the opinion of why what does what in a pool discussion forum like this, is not what I would consider a valid source. Many players that have computers, may not be good enough players to explain the "whys" or "why nots" of any particular shot. But, they do have an audience.

CCB may emulate a very large pool hall with a section designated for player discussions. You have the opportunity to come to a pool hall, play and enjoy your competition, and then choose if you wish, to come to the CCB section to discuss pool at any level you wish, or go to the bar and have a few, or just go home.

This is just an amature discussion forum, not much more. I have learned much about pool history, gamemanship, sportsmanship and most importantly, how other pool players think about competition and practice. All, very enjoyable subjects for me.

Sure CCB represents Billiards for the Nation, but so does every pool hall player, bar league player and newbie just getting started wanting to know what cue to buy.

cheesemouse
06-14-2002, 12:08 PM
Sid,
A year ago today I would have been doing the very same thing I'm doing today. Watching the U.S. Open Golf tournament, sitting in my favorite swivel rock, all the stuff I may need surrounding me, my dog at my feet but what's different this year is I have my laptop typing this response. The ccb has added a most enjoyable dimension to my Internet experience. While I agree that this site isn't the be all to end all in learning how to play the game it is full of informative, humorous, accomplish, interesting, prolific, jam-up players, beginners, space people, old farts, bubble gummers, foxy ladies and those who choice to remain anonymous by not registering and even the registered with nicknames only. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif With this menagerie of pool freaks one has to pull a nugget or two that he/she would have never come across anywhere else not even the other boards. I have learned to be more disciplined in my practice, how to maintain my table better, I now take better care of my cues, and I have learned that I don't give a $hit about squirt, throw or deflection because if I hit thousands of balls the damn things squirt, throw and deflect according to conditions and I innately adjust without using a slide rule. I am a feel player and that is what I will remain. One more thing about this board; if I was in a poolhall or at a tournament and I over heard someone say "Sid......Sid Vicious, I haven't seen you in........." I would know that I could walk up to you and say "hello Sid, my name is Cheesemouse" and you and I would have something in common. This hasn't happened to me with any ccb'ers yet but I know it will and it will be a good thing.
Others have mentioned that their pool playing friends just aren't interested in something like this board. They don't know what they're missing.......heheehee!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

ted harris
06-14-2002, 05:18 PM
that a word?

http://www.dictionary.com

stickman
06-14-2002, 06:46 PM
You need to type in a complete url and add the image tags before and after. Like this:

www.yoururl.com/whatever.jpeg (http://www.yoururl.com/whatever.jpeg)

but without any spaces between the url and the tags.

06-14-2002, 06:51 PM
First, let me do some reassuring. According to Webster's: Belittle\ vt lit*tled\ lit*tling:to speak of in a slighting way: disparage.
I think of this board as so much more than a place to come and improve my game. I've picked up far less here than in lessons, or even matching up with a stronger player (almost everyone) /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif, but I've gotten invaluable tips on table maintenance, picking up business, creative promotions, etc. all of which help me be a more valuable employee, and a more well informed person in general. What I treasure most about this board, however, is the social opportunities it provides. I've met some of the most intelligent, fun loving, and gracious people I know through this board. I've argued with fools and with kings. I've even matched wits with an alien! I love it here, even when I'm being slammed! After all, if you have an opinion, there's always sure to be someone who's going to disagree with it (no matter who is wrong!) /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I don't know about cross sections, but I know that the CCB is the place to be, and I'm glad I'm here!

06-15-2002, 01:03 AM
thanks
http://www.geocities.com/d0wnt0wn/scoresheet2.jpg

Sid_Vicious
06-15-2002, 10:30 AM
Perfect solution, if they ain't gonna want the boyfriend's advice then all you are doing is asking for hell if you try to give it. I DON"T know why it is, but women in relationships most always(99%+) NEVER appreciate the true, well intentions of a boyfriend/husband's advice. Have a bum off the street or even a bar player say something and they'll believe it, but you...just asking for trouble :-O sid~~~absolutely amazed at why this is

Barbara
06-15-2002, 10:43 AM
Ryan,

This is so true.

I used to play in a bar league in this area. I started on it 10 years ago. I wasn't too good in the beginning so I got books and tapes and would even play hoooky from work to go to the pool hall to practice. After a couple years I was the feared one. And I still kept trying to improve my game. My teammates wouldn't even think about practicing during the week - even those that had tables in their homes! Sometimes they would just bang out racks. I used to photocopy pages of drills for them, but it was useless. I even bought each girl on my team a copy of Byrnes' pool book. Nothing came of it.

Last year one of the girls from another team came up to me at the banquet and told me that I shouldn't be in this league, that I was too good of a player! Ha! I came real close to getting in her face and telling her all that I did to improve myself, but I didn't.

I'm no longer in that league because I couldn't stand them bitching about when they lost a game or missed a shot. Sure, they were out to have "fun". But wait until the league standings sheet came out each week....

Barbara~~~couldn't take the smoke in the bars anymore, either...

06-15-2002, 10:47 AM
its that venus/mars thing sid

Sid_Vicious
06-15-2002, 10:48 AM
Tom...The true intent of my post was to rate the talent pool here, in general with the rest of the cyber-world of billiard discussion boards. It happened that I was associated a little more with the idea that we were diplomats of the CCB trying to get more associates here, and that was definitely not where I has headed. Thing is, I wanted some insight on the way that the CCB group expresses themselves as a cross section of pool here in the US(and elsewhere.) I personally have never had quite the opportunity to hob nob with the types of experienced and generous players that I find here, and again just personally...I've honed myself in areas with tid-bits of information gotten here about details in my game which I hadn't considered. Also I've noticed that there were many commonalties we seem to share that I would have been reluctant to express with the pool hall gang...some of them are pretty quick to call you down on being far too much of a "pool scientist" with some of the aspects we talk about here. So I dunno, maybe the best thing is to understand what is to be had here and enjoy it, and even if the impact of accelerated learning impressed me,,,well that's enough of an audience, EOS...sid~~~still feels that we are a notch above everyone else discussing pool on the net

John in NH
06-15-2002, 11:46 AM
Hi Sid,

Congratulations on a great post. For me the answer to your question is a resounding yes.
When I first began posting on this board I was a bit naive about the game of pool and what it represented. Examples of this are as follows. I learned a lot from reading posts from other more knowledgeable CCB'Rs, it's been a humbling experience but truly very rewarding. What the CCB has done for me is given me the courage to step outside my sheltered surroundings and into places that I never would have been. Thanks to the CCB i've been encouraged to travel to Massachusetts from my home State of New Hampshire and compete against better competition, I am even considering going to other States as well. I used to think that I was too old to compete against the younger players but now I realize that age is a state of mind and nothing to do with a pool table.

I've also learned that when it comes to pool and questions come up, the CCB is the best forum to get the answers and the cost is nothing more than a little time and effort, also you get to meet some very interesting people, it's a win win situation.

Regards,

John

Tom_In_Cincy
06-15-2002, 04:55 PM
Sid,
My "favorites" in my web explorer are filled with other Pool related forums. I visit them on a regular bases, lurk and contribute occasionaly. But, I always come back to the best forum..... the Billiards Digest Cue Chalk Board.

One of the biggest reasons is the posters here are not rail bangers for the most part. And, they can articulate their opinions and theroies about this game better than the other forums.

I try not to get involved with emotional subjects, like the current Tony Robels thread. I do not respond to posters that try to instigate negative threads by posting such inane thoughts and opinions.

But, your question "CCB, Do we represent Billiards for the Nation?" is interesting and has provided some stimulation and thoughts about how this board is considered by the industry.. Charlie Williams seems to think that there is something here. Some Cue makers think the same, and even Diamond reps have dropped in to explain things to us.

CCB does have a reputation, to what level? I cannot answer, I can only guess, and my reply would be CCB is the BEST.

Sid_Vicious
06-15-2002, 06:31 PM
John..It is nice to be agreed with, and yet it is also good to learn that I could be more simple and not so eager to "help" people come here to grasp all that seems too valuable(IMO) to pass up. Q-Guy made a good point and I appreciate the advice, thanks! This thread has been an unfolding insight of various opinions and many of these happen to coincide with mine Thing is, I really only started this to find the general idea about how we ranked as a pool think-tank and it then moved into the direction of what this bunch gathered here do for all of us as an individual. What you said last concerning "also you get to meet some very interesting people, it's a win win situation" captures the best aspects of this site. Thanks for the reply...sid~~~hit some good shots today and finished his runs, all in all a great day

heater451
06-15-2002, 07:20 PM
Stickman gave the correct advice, about how to link an image into the board. However, I notice that you post your graphics from a Geocities site, and, well. . . .most if not all of the free sites providers (geocities, anglefire, tripod, etc.) do not allow graphics to be sourced to other sites like that--it's probably a bandwidth issue.

Anyway, your service provider probably gives you 5 meg of space or so, to which to can upload graphics. You would be able to link to them without a problem, since you pay for the account.

Also, the signature graphics in each post are displayed at 65x75, so the graphic you linked to is being stretched--I downloaded and 'doctored' it, in case you wish to pull it from here, and upload it to your own site.

http://heater451.home.mindspring.com/images/scoresheet2b.jpg

One more thing, If you graphic shows up for you now, but disappears later, or you think I am incorrect about the Geocities restriction, because you can see the graphic now: You may still see the graphic in the posts, if it was cached in your browser, but it will eventually become the little white box with the red "X" in it (I believe Whitewolf has the same issue). I've also seen it work the first couple of times, but go away, regardless of caching (I originally linked from a tripod site, but now pull my graphics from a mindspring server).

Good luck with it.

stickman
06-15-2002, 07:35 PM
Heater, I don't know about the other free sites, but you are correct about geocities not allowing direct links to their free web sites. I have tried to link to graphics on my site and they may come up once or twice, but then become the little white box with a red X in it. It's a bandwidth issue, as you suggested.

06-16-2002, 11:51 PM
thanks much