PDA

View Full Version : How to get good really fast!!

06-14-2002, 07:41 AM
I think it's funny how many people now and days want the "quick" solution to everything. 100 years ago the word quick was used for very few things I imagine.. and best selling books are ones that claim to teach you how to do something in "7 days or less.." or whatever. I don't doubt that a pool school can cram enough information and technique in you to get better quicker.. but you still must put in time and effort.

Anyway, my solution to getting good quick is this: The pro players we see on TV have probably been playing pool since they were 8 years old, and have made about a million more balls than you or I.. so the quick solution is to spend 8 hours a day, 7 days a week playing.. hopefully twice the amount that your favorite pro player played as a kid.. and try to sink as many balls and play as many games as they have in the next 7 to 10 years, and you'll probably be better than they are. Thats my quick solution, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the best players in the world were patient enough to keep playing even when things weren't going well, and patience being a key element in the game of pool. Just a thought.

Chris Cass
06-14-2002, 07:57 AM
Hey Seattle,

The pros you see today started much earlier than 8. My friend Jesse started at 3 yrs old. That's all he's been doing since. He's not even 21 yet and the limits he'll reach is endless.

I put my son on a chair along the side of a bar box at 1 mth shy of 3 yrs old. I set up the balls in the pockets and gave him a shaft. He played 2 hrs straight. The owner at the ph was so impressed he gave him a trophy from a past event. The attention span at that age isn't that long. I was shocked.

I brought him there every week. He wanted to play forever as Duaine, Jesse's dad kept rewarding him with these trophy's. It was that time Jesse started. To make a long story short. I put him in karate. He's been in 4 yrs now and he's a second degree brown. He also gives Heide hell on the table too. LOL

I say with the dedication, instruction and the material out there someone could obtain a "A"level in 1 1/2 yrs. That in my estimation is quick. As far as knowledge goes. That takes yrs of senerio's.

Regards,

C.C.

06-14-2002, 07:19 PM
Quoted:

I put my son on a chair along the side of a bar box at 1 mth shy of 3 yrs old. I set up the balls in the pockets and gave him a shaft. He played 2 hrs straight. The owner at the ph was so impressed he gave him a trophy from a past event. The attention span at that age isn't that long. I was shocked.

I brought him there every week. He wanted to play forever as Duaine, Jesse's dad kept rewarding him with these trophy's. It was that time Jesse started. To make a long story short. I put him in karate. He's been in 4 yrs now and he's a second degree brown. He also gives Heide hell on the table too. LOL

I say with the dedication, instruction and the material out there someone could obtain a "A"level in 1 1/2 yrs. That in my estimation is quick. As far as knowledge goes. That takes yrs of senerio's.

endquote_____________________________________

I think you're probably true there.. I know Efren grew up in a pool hall. I wish I did, and if I ever have kids, I'll make sure they start doing things VERY early in life, as you are doing. I think that will help their confidence and self-esteem even though they don't know it, to be good at something before they even know what it is. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

I think you could achive an "A" game in a year and a half, but it would be dedicated practice, probably need some pointers from a good teacher, constant practice, etc etc. The thing is, most people don't want to put in the time and energy it takes to become good.. they want a quick miracle cure.. and if getting good at pool was easy, we'd all be pro's. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Anyways.. it helps to have a pool table in your living room when it comes to becoming a decent player.. it's hard to practice all the stupid little drills and crap at a pool hall when people come up and ask what you are doing, and why.. etc, etc.. hahah /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

SPetty
06-16-2002, 07:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Seattle-kid:</font><hr> The thing is, most people don't want to put in the time and energy it takes to become good.. they want a quick miracle cure.. and if getting good at pool was easy, we'd all be pro's. <hr></blockquote>Hi Kid,

Or, like most of us, we have full time jobs and families and, for me anyway, killer commutes that eats our time so that although we have the desire, we don't have the time.

Just a thought.

9 Ball Girl
06-18-2002, 01:53 PM
I know what you mean, SPetty. I have a full time job. I need to work in order to play and I need to play in order to work! I started playing at the age of 7 with my Dad's shaft (he had hiw own cue) and then I stopped playing because he used to make me stay down 'til the cue ball stopped. I thought it was some sort of punishment and lost interest. At 17, I started playing everyday for 4 hours a day. I WISH I had someone teaching me back then 'cause I just knew no one could beat me!

Anyway, to make a long story short, I stopped playing at 22 'cause my parents said that pool halls weren't for ladies. Needless to say, I picked it up again at 26. I'm 28 now and curse myself for listening to my parents!

I try to play everyday, but like you said, full time job.