PDA

View Full Version : No foolproof aiming systems? Thank goodness!

BillPorter
07-05-2005, 08:24 AM
It occurred to me as I was thinking about some of the posts on aiming systems that if there were a foolproof aiming system, and if that system were widely known and applied, pool as we know it would no longer exist! Just imagine if every ball-banger out there suddenly became able to aim and make every shot. Position play wouldn't matter much and the winner of a session would be determined by the rolls, not the skills of the players. Hey, it was just a thought.... And I guess you could argue that a player would still have to have a straight stroke....

HALHOULE
07-05-2005, 09:41 AM
ON THE STRAIGHT STROKE THAT YOU MENTION. NICK VARNER HAS A STROKE THAT RESEMBLES A GIANT BANANA, BUT THAT LITTLE DEVIL HARDLY EVER MISSES A SHOT. IF YOUR STROKE IS NOT STRAIGHT, AND YOUR CUE TIP DID NOT HIT DEAD CENTER ON THE CUE BALL, THEN YOU WOULD STILL POCKET THE BALL, BUT WITH SOME SPIN, WHICH EQUATES TO BHE APPLIED.

HAL

BillPorter
07-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Yes, if you didn't know who Nick was and simply observed his stroke (without observing the object ball going into the pocket!), you'd probably never figure him for a top player. Dick Lane, an older player from Texas, has a tremor in his stroking arm that makes it look like he would never be able to make a ball, yet he has run 100+ in straight pool countless times. Go figure....

ceebee
07-06-2005, 08:40 AM
I am a firm believer that aiming systems are probably very usable to attain high percentage of made balls.

A straight stroke is great to have, but if the player with a straight stroke addresses the shot incorrectly, the shot will be missed.

I believe the address is the most critical part of making the shot. I tell my students this... a good rifle, pointed in the wrong direction, will cause the bullet to miss the target.

Some shots require a contact point tolerance of less than a 1/16th of an inch. How many players set their feet to the shot line, within 1/16th of an inch?

Chopstick
07-06-2005, 11:08 AM
I am going to disagree with you guys and here's why. If you make every ball you can see you will still lose. Years ago I practiced more than anybody. Not less than 8 hours a day and sometimes as much as 16 hours day for 6 1/2 years and never missed a day.

One day after losing again, I sat down at the counter next to this old player named Mac. I said Mac I don't know what else I can do I practice more than anybody and I still lose. He told me something that I believe is more important than any thing else I ever heard. He said "You pocket balls as good as anybody I have ever seen. But, you don't play like a player."

I thought about that statement for another 15 years before I started to understand what he was talking about. When you get past making balls you begin to play the game.

Stretch
07-06-2005, 02:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> I am going to disagree with you guys and here's why. If you make every ball you can see you will still lose. Years ago I practiced more than anybody. Not less than 8 hours a day and sometimes as much as 16 hours day for 6 1/2 years and never missed a day.

One day after losing again, I sat down at the counter next to this old player named Mac. I said Mac I don't know what else I can do I practice more than anybody and I still lose. He told me something that I believe is more important than any thing else I ever heard. He said "You pocket balls as good as anybody I have ever seen. But, you don't play like a player."

I thought about that statement for another 15 years before I started to understand what he was talking about. When you get past making balls you begin to play the game.
<hr /></blockquote>

Chop's! Great post. Very profound. St.

HALHOULE
07-06-2005, 03:43 PM
YOU DO NOT NEED CONTACT POINTS. THEY ARE INVISIBLE. THERE ARE SO MANY OTHER WAYS TO AIM BALLS ACCURATELY AND CONSISTENTL.

HAL

HALHOULE
07-06-2005, 03:50 PM
MAKE EVERY BALL YOU CAN SEE AND STILL LOSE??????????????

CANNOT SEE THAT HAPPENING.

HAL

Stretch
07-06-2005, 04:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HALHOULE:</font><hr> MAKE EVERY BALL YOU CAN SEE AND STILL LOSE??????????????

You missed his point. St

HAL <hr /></blockquote>

theinel
07-06-2005, 09:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HALHOULE:</font><hr> MAKE EVERY BALL YOU CAN SEE AND STILL LOSE??????????????

HAL <hr /></blockquote>
The key words are "CAN SEE". If you make a ball but can't see your next ball then losing becomes very possible.

ryushen21
07-06-2005, 11:19 PM
wow, that's two posts where this guy has made an ass of himself.

Righty
07-07-2005, 04:31 AM
When my opponent is not looking I sucker punch him and take the money...i have an aiming system for my fist to his face

PQQLK9
07-07-2005, 04:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Righty:</font><hr> When my opponent is not looking I sucker punch him and take the money...i have an aiming system for my fist to his face <hr /></blockquote>

What would you like to be when you grow up?