PDA

View Full Version : League break rule - Heard of it

killerstroke
07-05-2005, 09:41 AM
A local league, "VIP League" has probably the worst rule for the break I have ever heard. If you are going to break from outside 1 diamond from the center of the table, you must announce it, then you are not allowed to hit the third ball. Somebody neutral will watch the hit to determine if it was hit. IMO the breaker should be able to hit the rack anywhere. The stipulations can determine if its legal. The only two I know of are, 1) 4 balls must hit a rail or 2) so many balls must go past the side pocket. Has anyone ever heard of this and/or why? This is the kind of rule that make me think, This is why I stay away from leagues like this. I'm sure there are bad rules in all leagues, but this must take the prize.

highsea
07-05-2005, 06:41 PM
APA 8-ball rules specify the head ball or the second ball have to be struck on the break, so the "can't hit the third ball" rule isn't so strange, but I've never heard of "announcing" a side break, that's a new one on me.

killerstroke
07-06-2005, 06:55 AM
Why is this a rule? Who cares what ball the breaker hits. I did witness a break where the guy put the cue about 3" from the side rail, at the headstring, hit it into the rail (like a kick) and broke the 8 in three times in a row.