PDA

View Full Version : THe best Pool Table

BigT
07-06-2005, 02:04 AM
Which is the best pool table GC4 or doamond pro?

Popcorn
07-06-2005, 08:19 AM
I never hear Kim Steel mentioned. I played in a tournament with them and many of the players seemed to feel they were the best tables they had ever played on.

bobroberts
07-06-2005, 09:31 AM
How about Connelly or Olhausen.
They all seem to be about the same.Its just personal preference.The GCs are not as good as they used to be.

ras314
07-06-2005, 11:21 AM
I like the Diamond Pro with the pro cut pockets. Out here there are far more Gold Crowns in pool halls but they have bigger pockets so a lot of them are shimed. Some even triple shimmed which makes them a little tighter than the Diamond. That makes speed rather critical and is a real headache far as I'm concerned.

For me even a GC with longer rails to avoid the shims doesn't play as well as the Diamond and all the different setups means your home GC will be different than a lot of the pool hall's.

Of course I'm prejudiced because I picked the Diamond Pro for my table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cueless Joey
07-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Gabriel Pro is the best.

theinel
07-06-2005, 09:52 PM
This is definitely going to be a matter of personal preference. I once liked Gold Crown IV the best but now I much prefer the Diamond Pro. I know a few people who say Gabriels are great but I've only played on their 3C tables and for me pool tables are all about the pockets.

ryushen21
07-06-2005, 11:24 PM
best playing table that i have ever played on was an olhausen champion pro.

yegon
07-07-2005, 01:53 AM
I read that the brunswick metro tables at this years world championships have smaller cut pockets, I wonder if that was done by the manufacturer and if such version of these tables will be available for purchase.

BigT
07-07-2005, 05:04 AM
I e-mailed Brunswick and asked them about their pockets, why they are not as tight as diamond. They said they use BCA stanards so with that in mind Diamond is not in BCA standards. I have shot on both and pref. the gold crown. The rails seem more quiet and solid. I did like the feel of the diamondwood. The game is hard enough why do I want to make it harder. If I was using the Diamond for practice and only practice it would be a great table. I am just trying to get the best table for me.

dad8
07-07-2005, 07:10 AM
The Metro is already in Brunswick retail store's and they don't build a special table for the pros and the tables on t.v. are the same tables you can purchase at any retailer of Brunswick.Duffrin built the Metro Brunswick purchased the design.

ceebee
07-08-2005, 11:10 AM
I have played on Diamond Pros in Dayton, Tulsa & my home town, they are great. I have played on Gold Crowns across America, they are very good too.

My friend just bought a Diamond Pro. Most of the substructure is made from MDF (medium density fibreboard) which is a very stable material, unless it gets wet or is affected by humidity. Brunswick uses a lot of MDF too, all of the slate support backing seems to be MDF. I liked the tables when Brunswick used a medium hard wood for backing the slates & supporting the slate bed.

Just about everything is more costly & less valuable these days. $40K cars are made from plastic & $5K pool tables are made from formica, oak veneer & MDF. The better older tables GC1 & GC2 are a better buy, especially if they are nice.

dad8
07-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Billiard company's use mdf because it provide's a great flat surface and holds staples well.And have you looked under gc4.All harwoods except for the slate backing.And if you have a moister problem in your home the backing on the slate is the least of your problems.Enjoy the MOLD GC4 #1

JimS
07-09-2005, 05:25 AM
I think that the Diamond Pro plays so much better than the GC4 that there is literally no comparison.

Tighter pockets, deeper shelves, no metal objects protruding anywhere, leather pocket tops, and much more realistic cushion speed are the primary reasons for my opinion. I especially don't like the cushions on the GC4. Much too bouncy...the ball just rockets off the cushion and just not the way I think a cushion should play. But I guess that's just personal preference and that's what this thread is about. There are many good tables and it's all in what you prefer.

Cueless Joey
07-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Agreed.
I'm not gonna hold back.
GV IV's play like crap.
You can't tell where that cueball is gonna end up after it hits the cushion at medium speed or harder. That cushion is jacked.
GC I and II are sumthin else.
Diamond Pro is da better choice imo. It's the Plug and Play of pool tables. Well, if I won the Lotto, I'd still buy the Gabriel.

BigT
07-09-2005, 11:46 AM
I can't believe you don't like the play of a gold crown 4! Diamond's people say their Pro Am table is a better table than their Pro because of the 1 piece slate and has a better ball return system. I was always taught 3 piece slate was more accurate. I personal like the looks and pocket size of the Gold Crown 4. I have played on both. The frame of the GC4 looks stonger. I am just trying to buy the best table.

dad8
07-09-2005, 03:08 PM
I was at a 9 local nine ball turnament a few weeks ago and Archer and a few others were around.Any ways some one asked the group of pros what they liked to play on the most or thought was the best table.And the reply was there's alot of great playing tables out there they all play a little different thats part of the challenge but because most turnaments are played on GC4 thats what we like to practice on but I always like to show up a little early to get a fill for the tables and also to make sure they no how to spell my name when it comes time to cut the check.