PDA

View Full Version : Draw and tip shape/tip hardness experiment

Billy_Bob
07-07-2005, 06:59 AM
Someone on another thread was asking about tip to cue ball "contact time", so I thought the following would be an interesting experiment. Anyone ever try this?

Try drawing the cue ball 10 times with a "dime shaped" soft pig skin tip.

Then try drawing the cue ball 10 times with a "quarter shaped" phenolic tip (very very hard tip).

Scott Lee
07-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Billy Bob...Phenolic tips are not manufactured to be able to draw the cb. They are for breaks and jump shots. Phenolic tips do not have the same texture, nor performance that a leather tip will (layered or not). A player with a good stroke can probably still draw the ball with a phenolic tip, but NOBODY would choose to play with one. jmo

Scott Lee

Big_Jon
07-08-2005, 03:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Billy Bob...Phenolic tips are not manufactured to be able to draw the cb. They are for breaks and jump shots. Phenolic tips do not have the same texture, nor performance that a leather tip will (layered or not). A player with a good stroke can probably still draw the ball with a phenolic tip, but NOBODY would choose to play with one. jmo

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

Scott, i believe that John Barton posted about him playing with a phenolic tip, it should come up in a search.
I've also played with on, just because the guy that owned it said that nobody could play with it. I ran around 3 racks on a bar table with it. Draw/follow/english the whole 9 yards.
But you really have to watch your stroke /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
07-09-2005, 05:25 AM
I think John did that to prove a point...that with the proper stroke, you can actually play with the p-tip. I dare say that if he were playing for money, he would prefer a leather tip. John is a strong player but he is also smart enough to know that a phonelic tip is not the best choice to shoot with...but it can be done.
Steve

Scott Lee
07-09-2005, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Jon:</font><hr> I've also played with on, just because the guy that owned it said that nobody could play with it. I ran around 3 racks on a bar table with it. Draw/follow/english the whole 9 yards.
But you really have to watch your stroke /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Big_Jon...I don't doubt you did this. However, hustlers have run tables for decades with broom handles, golf clubs, and assorted other paraphenalia. My point was exactly what pooltcher made...those tips are not made to play with, they are made for specific other purposes. That doesn't mean you CAN'T play with, just why would you?...except perhaps on a bet, like you described.

Scott Lee

Billy_Bob
07-09-2005, 02:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr>...That doesn't mean you CAN'T play with, just why would you?...<hr /></blockquote>

Well for those who say tip hardness, tip shape, and tip brand do not matter (all in the stroke), I would think they would prefer a phenolic tip. Then they would never need to replace their tip as it would last longer...

zeeder
07-11-2005, 08:07 AM
I don't think that's what they are saying here. They are saying that comparing a hard leather tip and a soft leather tip is not the same as comparing a soft leather tip and a phenolic tip. The phenolic tip has a different texture which means that you won't be able to put as much spin on the ball. I am sure that there is some difference in the amount that you can draw the ball with different tip shapes and hardnesses, but it's nothing that can't be adjusted to.