PDA

View Full Version : Antique pool tables

Tim
07-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Comparing a jumbo size 1920's Brunswick antique table to a higher end new furniture table, will they play close to the same? Keeping in mind the antique has all new artimus cushions,simonis 860, and a good table mechanic doing the installation. Or will the antiques play great, but not like a new furniture table? Curious thanks

Scott Lee
07-07-2005, 03:45 PM
If you're putting new Artemis cushions and Simonis on the table, it should play pretty close to other new tables. The only difference might be in the pockets. The old pocket irons don't, imo, play as well as new-designed pockets. I'd go with the antique, just for the history!

Scott Lee

dad8
07-08-2005, 07:56 AM
Make sure all the barrell nuts in the slate are not stripped or loose if they are you can't get the rails to tighten correct and the rails may not rebound correct do to being loose and unable to tighten.Good Luck

ceebee
07-08-2005, 10:58 AM
I restored a 1905 Brunswick Monterrey Mission to exotic condition. I spent app'x $8000. I made new oak-maple rails, new brunswick high-end cushions & the slates were beautiful. The table played magnificently, however because of the T-Bolt rails, the 2-5 rail play was different than the Gold Crowns I compete on, so I sold the table to an art gallery in New York City.

The table was a magnificent table & a beautiful piece of furniture, but practicing multi-rail position & multi-rail banks & taking that info to the pool hall was confusing.

Some new furniture tables play badly, because of the cloth & cheap rails. Adding the high-end cushions & cloth should allow the table to play great. Good Luck

DickLeonard
07-10-2005, 10:03 AM
If your talking about an Arcade or Kling model Brunswick table I would go for it. Most oldtimers loved those two model tables. A heavy frame and a solid table. ####