PDA

View Full Version : plz help me select a cue within $80-$120

cool_guy
07-08-2005, 06:10 AM
Hi everyone, I am kinda new to this forum but I have been playing pool for quite some time now. I am tired of this wal-mart graphite cue which I have been using since last 2 years. Now I am looking for a cue within $80-$120 probably a used Lucasi, players or McDermott. Can I post some links from ebay over here to see what kinda opinion I get from you folks on the cue.

Billy_Bob
07-08-2005, 07:44 AM
If your main interest is what the cue looks like on the butt or the name of the cue maker, then go with what looks best to you or has the most impressive name written on it.

If however you are a serious player, then I would spend a lot of time trying out different weight cues (18oz 19oz, 20oz, etc.), different taper on shaft (euro taper, pro taper), wrap on butt or no wrap, cues with different diameter sizes at the tip (11mm, 12mm, 13mm, etc.), different joints,
http://www.predatorcues.com/english/jointtypes.htm
different brands of tips (Tiger, Moori, Le Pro, etc.), different hardness of tips (soft, medium, hard), and different tip radius (quarter, nickel, dime). Also be aware that there are low deflection shafts available...
https://www.platinumbilliards.com/rating_deflect.php

The decide on a certain specification of cue and stick with that. Also be aware that some cues come with a "weight bolt" and the weight can be changed somewhat. A few internet sites let you choose the exact cue you want or when ordering direct from a manufacturer, you can get a specific cue. Here is a sample of an internet site which lets you select the exact cue you want...
(Scroll down half way to custom order...)
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/viking/viking_vm40.htm

Regulator
07-08-2005, 11:18 AM
You might be able to get a new low end McDermott on eBay for $120 from a dealer - the best warranty in the business.

You should certainly be able to get a good used McDermott, Players or Viking for that.

You can pick from several new Players and a few Lucasis for $120. Also, the low end Viking $120 cue another poster linked to is a good choice because you can order different tip sizes for free.

Good luck.

07-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Billy Bob,
I can see now what you are trying to tell me.
I see myself as a D+ player trying to get to C+ or B- range.
I can make all the basic shots in the game but I can't control the cue ball. It seems like the cue ball stops at will and then I have to find a way to make the next shot which is next impossible. I also wanna learn how to apply english and use it effectively in a game which seems impossible to do right now. Whenever I try to apply english, I miss the Object Ball.
Predator seems to have a healthy lead over all the shafts. I definitely get myself a predator after I save some cash /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
And I will make sure I try it first befor ebuying anything /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
REgulator thanks for your advice but it seems to me that $120 Lucasi or players is not gonna bring my game to anther level. I also need some help with my stroke. I am using closed bridge since last two months. Before that I was using open bridge and missing many shots.

Billy_Bob
07-08-2005, 08:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Anonymous:</font><hr>...I can make all the basic shots in the game but I can't control the cue ball....<hr /></blockquote>

Well that was (is) the same problem I was having! (Along with everyone else.)

The problem with using english is long shots and something called cue ball deflection or "squirt".

Test: Aim just the cue ball at the far center diamond and hit it there 5 or 10 times in a row. Next do the same, but with left english each time. Notice how the ball no longer hits the center diamond, but is off by a little.

This is a BIG problem with using english. And another thing is that different cues will "deflect" the cue ball differently!

You can learn to adjust for each shot, or use a low deflection shaft. Either way, this is why it is so important to *always* use the same exact cue. Then when you learn to aim using english, you will always be playing with the same cue which deflects the cue ball the same amount.

Next is speed control. Always having the same weight cue will go a long way toward learning to judge how hard to hit the ball. Anyway VERY important to always play with the same weight cue.

So the first thing to do toward getting to be consistent is to experiment with different cues, then settle on one exact specification of cue. Then it will take two months to get adjusted to the new cue. Then after that, ask [here] what to do next...

Billy_Bob
07-08-2005, 08:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Anonymous:</font><hr>...I also need some help with my stroke. I am using closed bridge since last two months. Before that I was using open bridge and missing many shots... <hr /></blockquote>

So far as stroke goes, it is best to have someone else watch you - or videotape yourself and see what you are doing/not doing.

Someone told me that my elbow can only pivot one way, but that my shoulder can pivot many ways. Some of the better players in my area leave their upper arm UP while shooting and don't let it budge an inch downward when stroking. I guess then that they are only using their elbow and it can only go forwards and backwards - not sideways. Something to think about.

So far as bridges go, the idea is to provide a firm base for your shaft. Other than that, who cares? So just do what is most comfortable for you at this point and do what works best.

I have learned to use both open and closed bridges. I prefer open bridges because I can "see" better. But I feel that a closed bridge is better with hard follow or draw shots. The closed bridges in these cases not only keep the shaft from moving left/right, but also from moving up/down.

And so far as how to place your fingers, do what is most comfortable for you. So long as you have a steady base, it is doing the job. Here are some suggested bridges...
http://www.freepoollessons.com/lessons/lessons1/bridges/bridges.shtml

Sid_Vicious
07-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Mali makes a very good hitting cue in that price range...sid

Rich R.
07-09-2005, 05:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Anonymous:</font><hr> Predator seems to have a healthy lead over all the shafts. <hr /></blockquote>
Don't believe all of the hype. There are plenty of cue makers making cues that are far better than the Predator. You just have to find the one that you like best.

Billy_Bob
07-09-2005, 08:51 AM
I might add that there are players who can shoot very well using english and do not have a low deflection shaft. But they have learned to use the cue they have.

If someone has 20 years experience using a regular cue, then switches to a low deflection shaft, they frequently have trouble.

However if someone is new to the game, then they might find a low deflection shaft easier to use. But then if they played using a low deflection shaft for 5 years, then switched to a regular cue, they would have problems.

It is *switching* cues, tips, etc. which causes trouble. Best to select which type of cue you want, then stick with that forever...

07-09-2005, 08:48 PM
It all depends on what u feel comfortable with. Adams,Helmstetter,Mali,etc. make a ok cue for around $100.00. As far learning how to move the cue ball. Start off with some books like 99 crtical shots in pool,Burns first book. Good luck

07-10-2005, 07:21 AM
Billy bob, I have decided to save some cash so that I can get a predator 314 shaft. There is no point in buying a $100 cue and upgrading within few months. Thats the best I can think of right now.
Chas, I found that book on ebay. Thanks for your advice.
BTW, you guys are awesome /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Definitely the best pool forum ever /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

rednose43
08-14-2005, 05:24 PM
You can get a real nice Sneaky Pete for that. The money u save u can take lessons with. Learning from a qualified teacher ,will do wonders for your game. My favorite books are Willie Mosconi's first book,Bynres first book,99 Critical shots in pool,and Play your Best Pool byCapelle. These are the best books in my opionion. Good luck

08-15-2005, 02:06 PM
ANY CUE WILL DO FOR ANY AMATEUR. PHIL CAPELLE HAS NOT ONE WORD ABOUT AIMING IN ALL HIS 500 PLUS PAGES. MOSCONI BOOK HAS NOTHING ON AIMING. 99 CRITICAL SHOTS HAS NOTHING ON AIMING. LOOKS LIKE A VIRTUAL DESERT TO ME. WHY WOULD YOU BUY THEM? AS FOR A QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR, I POLLED EVERY INSTRUCTOR IN THE US AND CANADA, AND NOT ONE OF THEM SAID HE HAD AN AIMING SYSTEM. LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN IN THIS VAST WASTELAND OF POOL.

08-15-2005, 02:50 PM
HOW WILL YOU KNOW EXACTLY HOW MUCH YOUR CUE DEFLECTS. THAT WOULD DEPEND UPON HOW SOFT OR HARD YOU HIT BALLS, OR HOW MUCH ENGLISH YOU APPLY TO BALLS.
CHANGING CUES OR SHAFTS WILL NOT SOLVE CUE BALL DEFLECTION. I BELIEVE THE EXPERTS ON THE FORUM HAVE SAID THAT THERE IS A CURE THAT SOLVES ANY AMOUNT OF CUE BALL DEFLECTION. ASK THEM.

dazednconfused
11-04-2005, 06:43 PM
I dont know if you can get in the statesor where u may be from but try an aska they are cheap and great cues they are basically low end predators.

rackem
11-10-2005, 12:27 PM
I DON'T THINK SO!!! THEY AIN'T NOTHING LIKE A PREDATOR. NO WAY NO HOW!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

caedos
11-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Whatever you decide to get, keep $25 or so set aside for putting a good tip on the cue. Between a good cue with an average tip and an average or even bad cue with a good tip, I'll take the latter.

Carl

jtlabs
01-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Regarding cue ball positioning, this is a drill I am currently trying to master for the basics of it.
START(
%AD0D3%B[5Z3%CD6Y9%Dr3D5%Mr2Z3%N[2D5%PD0N7%WD3F2%XC9M7

)END

First you pocket the corner balls at the head then the 2 middle pockets then the corner balls at the end of the table. Your goal is to move the cue ball around in such a way that your able to stroke the cue ball where ever your put it with out getting into awkward positions on the table, and with out the use of a bridge. If the ball did not go where you wanted it to go, then start all over.

When you complete that exercise, move the object balls a little further from the pockets and do the exercise again. I am still trying to perfect this part of the exercise.

jtlabs
01-17-2006, 10:36 PM
Regarding cue ball positioning, this is a drill I am currently trying to master for the basics of it.
START(
%AD0D3%B[5Z3%CD6Y9%Dr3D5%Mr2Z3%N[2D5%PD0N7%WD3F2%XC9M7

)END

First you pocket the corner balls at the head then the 2 middle pockets then the corner balls at the end of the table. Your goal is to move the cue ball around in such a way that your able to stroke the cue ball where ever your put it with out getting into awkward positions on the table, and with out the use of a bridge. If the ball did not go where you wanted it to go, then start all over. Long range shots are not allowed in this exercise. Goal is to make the shot as easy as possible.

When you complete that exercise, move the object balls a little further from the pockets and do the exercise again. I am still trying to perfect this part of the exercise.

NeoCow
04-21-2006, 12:37 PM
Well, a good place I found to buy my cue after much researching (although I really lack the ability to try out many cues other than what my friends have on campus) was OzoneBilliards.com (http://www.ozonebilliards.com). They have a very wide selection of cues from basically every price range.

Personally, I was looking for a mid-range cue since I do play almost every day and the house cues on campus really suck, and my old cue (which was about $20) had clearly been broken since you can hear it rattle, which can't be good. Anyway, I bought a Viper cue for about $100 and am very pleased with its performance. Lately I've been working on cue ball position and down-table shots (shooting from all the way down the table) and I think it was worth the price. I'm not saying you need a better cue, just that it's not warped or broken, which is a good thing.

Anyway, if you're going to buy from there, you can use the discount code APR06 for the rest of this month (and it looks like the trend is XXX## where the XXX is the first three letters of the month and ## is the last two digits of the year) to get 10% off whatever you buy.

Hope this helps...not sure where I was going with it, though :-P

~Tym