PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on a pool table

vinnie717
07-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Hey im new here and i wanted to know if anyone has ever played on any imperial pool tables because im thinking about buying one from www.labaronsbilliards.com (http://www.labaronsbilliards.com) but in thier retail store. Could you please tell me what would be a good table for the garage in the 1000 and under range. I would prefer a good playing table instead of a good looking table.
thank you, vince

dad8
07-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Imperial is not known for builing a quality table.Also I don't think you are going to find a good quality table under 1000.00.You should look at the used pool table market.Or save and purchase the table you realy want.I know of a perfect 9ft Brunswick sports king in Atlanta for 2500.00.

vinnie717
07-09-2005, 05:59 AM
thank you for your reply i would get a well known table like a gold crown or something like that but my dad thinks im crazy if i spend that much money on a table that is goin in the garage.THere is a used gc3 for 1200 at www.labaronbilliards.com (http://www.labaronbilliards.com) in the used section but that seems way to low even for an older model. If i do end up getting the imperial what kind of problems do u think would happen.

thank you,vince

Cane
07-09-2005, 06:19 AM
Vinnie, I have an Imperial Black Widow that I've had no problems with. As a matter of fact, I had a pool room full of them. Players liked them very well, and I do have some serious players around my area. Had a few matchups on those tables for serious money and the kind of money those guys played for, they wouldn't play for on a table that didn't meet certain standards. Quality cushions, 1" slate, pro cut pockets. I keep hearing "cheap table", but I play, practice and teach on this table. Keep in mind that the 1" slate is an "option" on this table, don't even consider a 3/4" slate table, regardless of the choice you make in brands. Now, if I had my choice, I'd have a Diamond Pro sitting downstairs, but that ain't happening without a little remodeling (got to get everything else in the house working the way it should before I bring up tearing out walls to the Boss Lady! LOL) I've played on just about every table out there, and IMO the Diamond is the best available right now.

Later,
Bob

dad8
07-09-2005, 07:40 AM
I'd purchase the G.C. if the slate is good The cushions and pockets can be replaced.Have local table installer take a look at it.They can tell you what needs to be replaced if anything is wrong at all.You might have found a good deal.1200.00 is not bad for a used G.C. A pool room in Atlanta just went under his G.C.4 sold for 3500.00

vinnie717
07-09-2005, 02:27 PM
thanks for your help.Do you think that the tables slate or cushions of wood would warp due to the climate changes of weather in my garage especially because i live in michigan.

Vince

Cane
07-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Vinnie, I've had no warpage problem with mine. I live in the Arkansas River Valley in Oklahoma. Winters, anywhere from 0F to 50F, Summers from 80 to 105 (actually according to my car today it was 106 at one point) Humidity ranges from 30%, which we consider a dry day, to as much as 90% on those 100 days. If the table can survive those extremes, than I think it can survive anything. Oh, and it's not because my house is air tight and everything is constant in here. The house I live in was built in 1904 and not as "weatherproof" as most modern homes.

Later,
Bob

BoroNut
07-09-2005, 04:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> actually according to my car today it was 106 at one point<hr /></blockquote>

It's probably worth a few bob then. I'm surprised you can still buy the right petrol for it.

Boro Nut

Cane
07-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Boro... well, it's a GM so it's a stupid car anyways! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Later,
Bob