PDA

View Full Version : 16 year old Wu wins a 17-16 thriller at the WPC

recoveryjones
07-10-2005, 08:35 AM
At 16 years old Wu becomes the WPC nine ball champion of the world. That's amazing!!!!!

Read a rack by rack review here:

http://www.worldpoolchampionship.co...article_id=2135

Fortunatley for me someone is sending me a complete match DVD of this stuff and basically the whole event. I can hardly wait. RJ

cuechick
07-10-2005, 09:56 AM
That is really amazing, of course I would have loved to see Rodney make it to the finals but what a story!

Harold Acosta
07-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Truly amazing, particularly since Wu was trailing 16-12 and Kuo had to win one more rack for the Title. Kuo must be devastated.

cuechick
07-10-2005, 10:00 AM
FYI: There are really great pictures on that site...it shows pool can produce great imagery!

http://www.worldpoolchampionship.com/mygallery/gallery_pics/poolchamp/41/WLDPOOL_DY8_PCKUO27.jpg

tateuts
07-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Here's a link that works.

http://www.worldpoolchampionship.com/article_detail.asp?article_id=2138

What a refreshing attitude. He gives his grandmother credit for inspiration and discusses his goals.

Not a bad way to win...your opponent is on the hill and you are 5 games behind. You run out that rack and break and run out the next 4 racks to win.

I really want to see this young man play.

Chris

Terry
07-10-2005, 04:58 PM
I had the pleasure of watching Wu in person last year in Australia at the world juniors, he ran 6 packs as well as a 7 pack and I thought he had a good way about him when he wasn't playing. I am glad that Wu won, I think its great. Terry

bigbro6060
07-11-2005, 12:11 AM
I also saw Wu in the juniors in Australia, only dawned on me it's him

I thought, this kid can right now match it with anyone in the world.

Didn't think it would be this soon though !

RailbirdJAM
07-11-2005, 01:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr> FYI: There are really great pictures on that site...it shows pool can produce great imagery!...<hr /></blockquote>

AzBilliards website is down this morning, and a day without AzBilliards is like a day without sunshine, as I'm sipping my morning coffee! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I was on the WPC website and checking out their forum. Harold asked about some pictures, and a kind forum reader provided these links. Every time I see Wu with his grandmother and the trophy, it still brings tears to my eyes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I hope you all enjoy them as much as I did. Check out Rodney Morris, too, cashing in for the bronze!

http://www.onthehill.jp/e-top.html
http://www.onthehill.jp/2005wpc/day-9.html

As you go through the days on the second link, Day 4 shows a snapshot of a McDonald's paper bag with a pool table on it celebrating the WPC in Taiwan this year! There are quite a few shots of the American players, too.

RailbirdJAM

cycopath
07-11-2005, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr> FYI: There are really great pictures on that site...it shows pool can produce great imagery!

http://www.worldpoolchampionship.com/mygallery/gallery_pics/poolchamp/41/WLDPOOL_DY8_PCKUO27.jpg <hr /></blockquote>

What I find amazing is, the guy in this pic is 27 years old!
He looks like he's 12.

cycopath
07-11-2005, 10:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> Fortunatley for me someone is sending me a complete match DVD of this stuff and basically the whole event. I can hardly wait. RJ <hr /></blockquote>

Go on, rub it in.

How can I get in touch with your friend?

Qtec
07-11-2005, 10:22 AM
I watched the whole finale live on ESPN Asia!

Q........streaming...Fiedian.

tateuts
07-11-2005, 10:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> I watched the whole finale live on ESPN Asia!

Q........streaming...Fiedian. <hr /></blockquote>

While all our eyes, energy, and attention were glued to that fruitful /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif aiming system thread, this discussion was ignored.

20 years from now, this could prove to be one of those significant moments in the sport. A 16 year old, who many have never heard of and who is still in high school, steps up and wins against the toughest field in the game.

This is monumental. The youngest world champion in the history of the sport.

I can't think of anything like it before in our game. Maybe Willie Hoppe is closest. This is unbelieveable.

Chris

Eric.
07-11-2005, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> I watched the whole finale live on ESPN Asia!

Q........streaming...Fiedian. <hr /></blockquote>

While all our eyes, energy, and attention were glued to that fruitful /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif aiming system thread, this discussion was ignored.

20 years from now, this could prove to be one of those significant moments in the sport. A 16 year old, who many have never heard of and who is still in high school, steps up and wins against the toughest field in the game.

This is monumental. The youngest world champion in the history of the sport.

I can't think of anything like it before in our game. Maybe Willie Hoppe is closest. This is unbelieveable.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

Good point, Chris. This is history in the making. I'm curious to see how Wu's career will unfold. Potentially, he could be the Tiger Woods of Pool.

I think I've mentioned this a while back on this(or another) forum when the topic came up. I've spent asome time in Taiwan and have long felt at the time that the next country to crank out Pool champions is Taiwan. I remember seeing Chin Shun Yang play as a teen and was amazed at his level of play at that age. Another point is that there are alot of teens that played not-too-far-below Yang. Wu is no fluke or exception, there are many kids that play very well.

I think Pool in Taiwan can be related to Basketball in the US. In the US, there are alot of kids that startplaying B Ball at a young age, do nothing but shoot baskets everyday, after school and though not all make it into the NBA, there are a ton of talented B Ball player taht we've never heard of. That's the best way of describing Pool in Taiwan. It's a popular sport and alot of people are playing it competitively.

Eric

9 Ball Girl
07-11-2005, 11:34 AM
I hope Wu goes to the U.S. Open (he can afford it!). I would love to see him play. I'm always fascinated at watching really young players do their thing on the table which is why I love going to Valley Forge for the SBE to see the "young guns".

Qtec
07-11-2005, 12:16 PM
To be honest, he should have lost. At 16-12 the other player played a good safety, but failed to hit a rail!

What makes him so good is his break. From the matches I saw, he was making[ and others] a ball on the break, 9 times out of 10. Some players were making the 9 in the middle, every time they breaked!
The kid is left-handed and right eye dominant!

I think we wil see more of him.

Qtec..will bet $10 that the kid doesnt know 27 aiming systems /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cueless Joey
07-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Someone needs to tell him there is no contact point. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tateuts
07-11-2005, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>
I think I've mentioned this a while back on this(or another) forum when the topic came up. I've spent asome time in Taiwan and have long felt at the time that the next country to crank out Pool champions is Taiwan. I remember seeing Chin Shun Yang play as a teen and was amazed at his level of play at that age. Another point is that there are alot of teens that played not-too-far-below Yang. Wu is no fluke or exception, there are many kids that play very well.

I think Pool in Taiwan can be related to Basketball in the US. In the US, there are alot of kids that startplaying B Ball at a young age, do nothing but shoot baskets everyday, after school and though not all make it into the NBA, there are a ton of talented B Ball player taht we've never heard of. That's the best way of describing Pool in Taiwan. It's a popular sport and alot of people are playing it competitively.

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

You were so right. The first time I watched Fong Pang Chao play I was very impressed with his precision and poise at the table. In my mind, he took the game back to the time of a Mosconi or a Crane. Precision, planning, and the most mistake free pool I've ever seen.

I had no idea the depth of the Taiwanese. I don't know what Wu's individual future is, but the talent pool in Taiwan certainly is a powerful force.

Another significant occurance was Marlon Manolo's first visit to the U.S. last month. He was here and I had a chance to see him play. What was important about the visit was that he was successful. He won Reno and I think came in 5th at BCA plus he won the Hard Times Sacramento 9 Ball. This probably means he can get the backing to play in more events, and I'm pretty sure he's coming back for the U.S. Open.

There is some excitement coming to the U.S. Open, that's for sure.

Chris