PDA

View Full Version : To tip or not to tip

06-14-2002, 03:24 PM
I have been puzzled these last few days. I sell sticks and supplies etc. I also like to re-tip my own sticks. However, lately it seems the darn things just won't stay on. I use Porper's Little Shaver and the Ultimate Tip Tool, but alas, I think that the upward pressure pops the tips off. I used a rapid cue top sander to face the ferrule, so that shouldn't be a problem. I also sand the bottom of the tips to let them stick better. I was thinking of buying the Willard Tipper Trimmer, and I could get it at wholesale, but is it worth the $ to pay for it? Or should I just pay someone else and refer everyone to that person? Help please!

Troy
06-14-2002, 05:57 PM
As a seller of cues and supplies, I am surprised you do NOT have a contact in your area to repair cues as the need arises.

Troy...~~~ Maintains cues for a couple retailers in the area.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: deadeyed:</font><hr> I have been puzzled these last few days. I sell sticks and supplies etc. I also like to re-tip my own sticks. However, lately it seems the darn things just won't stay on. I use Porper's Little Shaver and the Ultimate Tip Tool, but alas, I think that the upward pressure pops the tips off. I used a rapid cue top sander to face the ferrule, so that shouldn't be a problem. I also sand the bottom of the tips to let them stick better. I was thinking of buying the Willard Tipper Trimmer, and I could get it at wholesale, but is it worth the $ to pay for it? Or should I just pay someone else and refer everyone to that person? Help please!
<hr></blockquote>

Chris Cass
06-14-2002, 09:57 PM
Deadeyed,

At $5.00 a tip depending how many you do, I think the Willard machine is perfect. The problem might be, the Rapid sander is giving you and uneven surface. So the tips won't stay on. Also, could be the glue. I use Duro Super Gel. Never had a problem.

Next time you sand the ferrule with your Rapid Sander. Place the tip on top without any glue yet and hold it up to the light. If you see a gap, then your Rapid Sander is the problem. Well operator defect, no offense. It's not as easy as they make it out to be. JAT

Good luck,

C.C.

Rod
06-15-2002, 12:14 AM
Deadeyed,
Keep in mind that sander will not give you a perfect 180 degree horizontal angle to the shaft. The taper of the shaft and ferrule is the cause. Also do not use the knob and rotate it when you finish the end of the ferrule. I know that was the intention, but it is more accurate if you hold the top with your finger tips and move it back and forth each direction just a couple of inches. I use epoxy, but then I don't have a time limit.

Chris Cass
06-15-2002, 06:23 AM
Hi Rod,

Thanks for making that more clear to understand. I sometimes, well a lot of times. Assume others know what I'm trying to say. You have the right way to put it everytime.

Regards,

C.C.

Rod
06-15-2002, 07:29 PM
Is that what you were trying to say? lol Not really Chris I just had my hat on straight! I wasn't trying to correct you, just adding my input.