PDA

View Full Version : OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

randyg
07-11-2005, 05:44 AM
I have just returned to Dallas, Tx from a very exciting and rewarding three weeks in the DC area. Our Pool School had two great week ends while being hosted by Champions Billiards in Rockville Md. Over all we had 15 wonderful pool players as our clients.

For those of you who don't know me, I'm a full time BCA Master Instructor and owner/founder of the CUE-TECH Pool School. On the side I'm an avid golfer. I try to learn as much about golf as you do about pool.

In Chantilly, Va there resides a very famous golf instructor, Kelly Murray. During the week days between my two week ends in Rockville, I called Mr. Murray and inquired about golf lessons. He said he was available on Wed. and quoted me his all day price. Now mind you, I have been around the golf scene a long, long time and felt that was a little too much to pay just for golf lessons.

After all, I'm a good golfer, what could he show me that I haven't already found.

But, being the person I am, I signed up for the Wed. class.

The end goes like this:

The very first question (with answer) Mr. Murray asked the class changed my golf game forever. Not only did I learn new things the entire first day, I signed up for the next day also. Just like a kid in a candy store.

For those of you who are still reading this post, thank you. The moral of this story is about humans.

"You don't know, what you don't know."

I'm estatic that I was able to set my ego aside to allow my learning curve to continue. I'm humbled by the fact of what I did not know. I'm honored to be a student of Mr. Murray.

So what happened to my golf game???? I so badly wanted to go to the golf course and try out the new methods personally designed for my body style. Instead I took a week away and just went to the Practice Range where I could install the new thought and swing processes.

Now after my last five rounds of golf I have dropped an average of 9 strokes per round from my score. I see where I need to continue to improve and will do so. This Old Dog can still hunt(learn).......SPF-randyg

ceebee
07-11-2005, 07:45 AM
That's great Randy. Losing 9 strokes per round is amazing. Taking 2 days of lessons & suggestions for modifications in your game has helped you tremedously. Your trips to the golf couse will be enjoyed a great deal more.

Your story is a great analogy for the pool players here. If the 3 & 4 speed league players take 6 weeks of lessons, they might become 5-6 speeds without much ado & enjoy there pool games even more.

Getting help from a great instructor is always a good bet. Randy, You've seen many a player rise in skill level, after getting some qualified instruction, that's what you do for a living.... help players play better Pool.

Good Luck in your golf game, I had to give it up because of a ruptured disc. I was an Assistant-Pro at Colonial CC for 3 years, it was a great life.

Qtec
07-11-2005, 07:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The very first question (with answer) Mr. Murray asked the class changed my golf game forever. <hr /></blockquote>

Do I need to phone you to get the answer? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

pooltchr
07-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Believfe it or not, Randy, That pretty much mirrors my experience when I first went through your class. I wondered how much I could learn after 35 years of playing pool. Those 3 days showed me so much that I didn't know.

Glad your road show classes went well. Looking forward to the Carolina version this October. Oh yes, I confirmed covering the other class with you as well...we got another tournament director to handle that tour stop, so we are all set.
Steve

randyg
07-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Steve: Both week ends will fill rapidly. Oct. 7-8-9 in Raleigh and Oct. 14-15-16 in Pineville. Glad you are available to help teach. School will be smoooooth with you there....randyg

woody_968
07-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Its funny how many people feel the same way you did at first but dont go ahead and take the lesson. Things they do several times a week but dont want to spend money to get better so they can enjoy it more, or dont feel they could learn anything new.

I must say dropping nine shots that quickly is amazing. He must be a good teacher, but you have to be a good student willing to put in the work and make the changes.

Although I may have to send Mr. Breiseth an email and worn him of your new found tallent /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Woody

Rod
07-12-2005, 01:30 AM
Randy, 9 strokes is a biggie, congrats. You say you were good, what is your handicap? Defination of good?

Rod

Rich R.
07-12-2005, 02:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Now after my last five rounds of golf I have dropped an average of 9 strokes per round from my score. <hr /></blockquote>
So, let me get this right. Your average score dropped from 232 to 223. That was great. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I always have trouble with the wind mill. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

randyg
07-12-2005, 05:29 AM
Oh you guys are funny. For the last few years I have carried a 12 handicap in golf. Not bad-not good. I'm thinking by this time next year maybe a 6 handicap, who knows?

My average score wiould come in at 88-92. My first three scores after lessons and practice where 82-84-78. I'm still very analytical. When I CROSS-OVER the scoring should improve even more.

Woody. Jerry walks with limp because he has so much of my money in his pocket. To tell the truth, even 7-8 strokes off my game might not be enough to beat him....he's good. In Oct. I golf with the "Monk" for 5 days. He won't know what happened to his wallet when I'm done with him!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.......SPF-randyg

DickLeonard
07-12-2005, 07:02 AM
Randy, I quit playing Golf at 14, I was 4ft 6 and 70 lbs shooting in the low nineties at the private CC where I caddied.Playing just Mondays when the course was for the caddies. Gov. Dewey was an Honorary member. I had a swing like Sammy Snead, smooth as silk, when I graduated high school at 5ft 2 and 86 lbs, I knew I had made the right choice. I took the game up again at 23 and just played for enjoyment, whenever I sank a 40 ft putt I was supposed to I was a pro poolplayer. I would play 5 rounds with the same ball, I would tell my playing partners how can you lose a ball when everything is down the middle. Of course I spent all my time hunting for their balls.

The greatest Golf article I ever read was by Jim Colbert in two parts. It was totally applicable to pool, after reading the article and applying it to pool I ran 212 balls with the Water Dept. diggng up the street in front of the room. It so impressed the owner that he had a plaque made and hung it on his wall.

Of course now at 5ft7 and 145 lbs I realize that I should have pursued Golf and not Pool.

One story, I was to play Weenie Beanie in Hudson NY, he would play me anyplace but on my home table. I was to play him 105 to 90 but a pool detective told him I had beat Cisero Murphy there a few weeks ago, so he wasn't going to play me. While we were standing around he called his friend in Grand Rapids Mich., they were there to trap Harold Worst playing Golf and Pool.

His conversation went like this your kidding well how did so and so make out playing one pocket. Okay I'll talk to you later. He got off the phone and said Harold Beat the Golf Pro and Robbed the poolplayer.####

wolfdancer
07-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Randy...you had me doubting you for awhile....my "good golfer"
definition, would be low to mid 80's....and taking 9 strokes off of that...would be in the realm of the teachings of Shivas Irons (Golf in the Kingdom)...or Linc St.Clair (Quantum Golf)
However...you have sold me!!!
The money I was going to spend for your pool school...now earmarked for the golf school.....thanks!!!!!

tateuts
07-12-2005, 12:23 PM
Golf is a strange game. Skill at the short game is what largely determines your scoring ability and being wild at the long game is what usually messes you up. I played, practiced intensely, and took lessons for two years to beat my arch-rival in Hawaii on his home course. I eventually went there and got him, then lost interest in the game.

My "casual" weekend handicap was at 15 before the practice routine and I brought it down to a 7 at the lowest.

The largest drop in my handicap came from two things, learning how to drive relatively straight (to keep the ball in play) and simple shots around the green. I got to the point where I had a pretty good chance of getting up and down from off the green, and certain of a chip and two putt at the worst. It's amazing how having confidence in this skill takes pressure off your long game.

I would put a 7 handicapper at the equivalent of a decent "B" player in pool. I never felt like I was anywhere near as proficient at golf as I am at pool. In my mind, a "C" player in golf would be over 15 handicap, a "B" player 5 - 15 handicap, and an "A" player less than 5. I think most of the touring pros would be in the +5 or +6 range or even better if their handicaps were taken at a home course. That's 9 or 10 strokes better than a -5 handicapper, or regularly shooting 66 on a par 72 medium difficulty course.

It became too much work to keep the handicap down. All the practice also caused strain in my back, neck, and shoulder joints.

Chris

JimS
07-13-2005, 04:52 AM
I have periphal neuroapthy which started while I was playing golf. I was hitting anywhere from 300 to over a thousand practice balls a day, hour after hour and my hands did, on a few occasions, bleed. I loved the feel of hitting the ball on the sweet spot.

But... the excessive twisting of the back etc may have caused this permanent damage to my nervous system. It started with a tingling in one spot on one foot and spread to the point that causes me big time pain in both feet, 24/7. I'd do myself in were it not for the drug neurontin. It was BAD before neurontin.

catscradle
07-13-2005, 05:22 AM
Randy,
Congratulations on your golf improvement.
I'm an old dog who could definitely use some new tricks.
See you this weekend in Hartford.
Steve.

randyg
07-13-2005, 05:31 AM
I also have a very poor back and a trick knee. Four years ago I either had to quit golf or make a change.

I found a "Natural Golf" Instructor on the Internet and began taking "Natural Golf" lessons. Easiest way to strike a golf ball I have ever seen. Kelly Murray is a "NG" golf instructor.

Wed. I shot an 82 on a strange course. On three of the par fives I drove over 300 yards on each of them, on the green in two with three Eagle putts. Results are 2 Birdies and 1 par. Highlight of my golf career.

OLD DOG-Still learning.

On my way to Hartford, Ct. for a week end Pool School. See ya'all next week.....SPF-randyg

DickLeonard
07-13-2005, 05:34 AM
Chris the CC where I caddied help us build a short course in the caddy area where we played with a nine iron and a putter. Most of the caddies were proficient with their short game. ####

Most members would take a lunch break after nine holes and the caddies would move to the tenth tee, far removed from the clubhouse, there we would grove our swings with the members clubs. Practicing putting on the tee[their tees were close to the texture of the greens] so most caddies had their golf game honed with very little playing. There was only between 70 and 80 playing members so the course was always in tiptop shape.

The last time I caddied at age 21, the Caddie Master called all the old caddies and asked us to help him out, they were having a giant tournament and needed as many caddies as he could round up. They had always treated the caddies fairly with tournaments and picnics and end of the year parties. When the call went out most of the old caddies showed up.

I caddied for Tom Murphy Pres. of Capital Cities Broadcasting and instead of paying attention to what he was talking about I played dumb. He was explaining how by buying TV stations in Markets and transfering them to the hot channel you increassed their value. He knew what he was talking about, Capital Cities a local business took control of ABC Broadcasting and he became Pres. and Chairman of the Board. It was the Mouse that Roared, Swallowing the Lion. I would have become a millionaire if I had bought their stock.

randyg
07-13-2005, 05:41 AM
QTEC: Can't explain over the phone.
ROD: I will be in AZ this Winter.
RICHR: You missed a day of practice.
DICKL: I sure would like to spend some time with you.
WOLFDANCER: Get your butt into school.
TATEUTS: Am taking pix of my Palmers for you.
CATS: Steve, I will be there around 8pm Thursday.

catscradle
07-13-2005, 06:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr>
CATS: Steve, I will be there around 8pm Thursday. <hr /></blockquote>

I'll be there around 8 AM Friday after a 2 1/2 hour ride. Hope the traffic isn't significant through Hartford at that time.
Have the coffee ready, strong and black. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
07-13-2005, 06:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> RICHR: You missed a day of practice.
<hr /></blockquote>
Oh no, I didn't. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
07-13-2005, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> I have just returned to Dallas, Tx from a very exciting and rewarding three weeks in the DC area. Our Pool School had two great week ends while being hosted by Champions Billiards in Rockville Md. Over all we had 15 wonderful pool players as our clients.

For those of you who don't know me, I'm a full time BCA Master Instructor and owner/founder of the CUE-TECH Pool School. On the side I'm an avid golfer. I try to learn as much about golf as you do about pool.

In Chantilly, Va there resides a very famous golf instructor, Kelly Murray. During the week days between my two week ends in Rockville, I called Mr. Murray and inquired about golf lessons. He said he was available on Wed. and quoted me his all day price. Now mind you, I have been around the golf scene a long, long time and felt that was a little too much to pay just for golf lessons.

After all, I'm a good golfer, what could he show me that I haven't already found.

But, being the person I am, I signed up for the Wed. class.

The end goes like this:

The very first question (with answer) Mr. Murray asked the class changed my golf game forever. Not only did I learn new things the entire first day, I signed up for the next day also. Just like a kid in a candy store.

For those of you who are still reading this post, thank you. The moral of this story is about humans.

"You don't know, what you don't know."

I'm estatic that I was able to set my ego aside to allow my learning curve to continue. I'm humbled by the fact of what I did not know. I'm honored to be a student of Mr. Murray.

So what happened to my golf game???? I so badly wanted to go to the golf course and try out the new methods personally designed for my body style. Instead I took a week away and just went to the Practice Range where I could install the new thought and swing processes.

Now after my last five rounds of golf I have dropped an average of 9 strokes per round from my score. I see where I need to continue to improve and will do so. This Old Dog can still hunt(learn).......SPF-randyg <hr /></blockquote>

Glad to hear you Golf game improved by 9(?!) strokes in a few days or so.

I love your posts, Randy, but I can't help but feel that your post is a thinly veiled shill for more Pool students.

Eric &gt;cranky, but tells it like it is

Rich R.
07-13-2005, 08:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> I love your posts, Randy, but I can't help but feel that your post is a thinly veiled shill for more Pool students.<hr /></blockquote>
Eric, give Randy a break.
After all, you have done your share of shilling for FL's karate school. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
07-13-2005, 09:05 AM
Eric,
I know Randy is a passionate golfer. I think he is proud of what happened, and was sharing it with the board. Yes, he is pointing out that when we are open to new ideas and instruction, we can see improvement in whatever our endeavor might be.
As for recruiting students, from my past experience, anytime Randy holds a class, filling them with students is not a problem at all. We have two classes with Randy scheduled in October in our area, and both are already starting to fill up. I don't think the post was meant to be a commercial for his school, but rather a reminder to all of us that learning anything like golf, or pool, should be a continuous on-going process.
Steve

randyg
07-13-2005, 09:09 AM
ERIC: Maybe so, BUT. Most all of our viewers/posters have already attended Pool School. For those who have not I believe that they will not. I'm sharing personal thoughts with intelligent people, just like yourself. If they want me to stop "Shilling", let them say so.....SPF-randyg

Eric.
07-13-2005, 09:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> ERIC: Maybe so, BUT. Most all of our viewers/posters have already attended Pool School. For those who have not I believe that they will not. I'm sharing personal thoughts with intelligent people, just like yourself. If they want me to stop "Shilling", let them say so.....SPF-randyg <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry if I came across a little cranky today. I have to admit though, a drop in 9 strokes from your handicap, in a very short timespan, from an established "good" golfer is unreal. I would be curious to hear the results after your next Golf lesson.

As far as my opinion of "shill", it's just that; one man's opinion. Then again, I don't need the general concensus behind me to feel my opinion is validated.

Sorry for your hard feelings, Randy. Hope all is well.

Eric

ceebee
07-13-2005, 10:27 AM
I believe my original post said more about Instruction (Pool or Golf) than Randy's story. Everybody here knows RANDYG is an instrictor &amp; a salesman, a good one too. He's like any person that has lived &amp; breathed any kind of subject (Pool Instruction, Golf Instruction, Hot Rods, Pro Baseball players, Computers) they include their thoughts about their passion, when they describe things or talk to people.

Eric, thanks for attempting to calm your first punch... actually a large amount of strokes being whittled away is common after a lesson, because all things learned are fresh in one's mind. A Player has a tendency to lose that freshness after a week &amp; some old habits creep back in to erase some of the good fortune.

Fred Agnir
07-13-2005, 10:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> CATS: Steve, I will be there around 8pm Thursday. <hr /></blockquote>I'll be landing in Providence on Friday afternoon. Depending on how things end up at Foxwoods, I was planning to head to Hartford to visit.

Fred

Fred Agnir
07-13-2005, 10:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> As far as my opinion of "shill", it's just that; one man's opinion. Then again, I don't need the general concensus behind me to feel my opinion is validated.<hr /></blockquote>I personally didn't think it was a thinly veiled attempt, but rather a very explicit opinion that instruction does a body good. Even to old farts.

Fred

randyg
07-13-2005, 10:37 AM
FRED: Who you calling an "old fart"????

FRED IS WELCOME THIS WEEK-END. He needs a refresher.

Eric, all is well.......SPF-randyg

tateuts
07-13-2005, 10:38 AM
Good story Dick.

Randy - for sure let's collaborate on the Palmers! I am addicted to those cues because they are cool and relatively affordable collectibles.

Chris

pooltchr
07-13-2005, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Even to old farts.

<hr /></blockquote>

I resemble that remark!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stretch
07-13-2005, 10:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Randy...you had me doubting you for awhile....my "good golfer"
definition, would be low to mid 80's....and taking 9 strokes off of that...would be in the realm of the teachings of Shivas Irons (Golf in the Kingdom)...or Linc St.Clair (Quantum Golf)
However...you have sold me!!!
The money I was going to spend for your pool school...now earmarked for the golf school.....thanks!!!!!
<hr /></blockquote>

BWAAAHAHAHAHA!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif St.

DickLeonard
07-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Chris I forgot to add that I got a $20.00 tip that was 46 years ago.####

Cane
07-13-2005, 11:49 AM
I took a golf lesson once from a retired PGA pro. After about an hour, he says "I understand you play pocket billiards". I say "yeah, I do." He says, "Good, at least you'll have SOMETHING you can do." He wished me well in pool and sent me on my way.

Guess it's just not my game...

Bob

catscradle
07-13-2005, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> ... He says, "Good, at least you'll have SOMETHING you can do." ...
Bob <hr /></blockquote>

lol!

Fran Crimi
07-13-2005, 02:49 PM
LOL! I took lessons from 2 different golf pros. One had a big ego and spent most of the time letting me know how knowledgable and great he was. The other one was quiet and humble and spent the whole time focusing on me and my needs. Guess which one I learned the most from? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

JimS
07-14-2005, 04:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Chris I forgot to add that I got a $20.00 tip that was 46 years ago.#### <hr /></blockquote>

BOOK!!!!!
We NEED a book!!

DickLeonard
07-15-2005, 06:27 AM
Randy how do you get in touch with the BCA I am trying to see about getting Joe Canton into the Hall Of Fame. He qualified by winning two National Titles but pool was in the dumps at that time. I don't think he was ever considered. I have tried WWW. BCA.Com and there is no site. ####

Cane
07-15-2005, 06:31 AM
Dick, Here's the website address... contact information is on there BCA Website (http://www.bca-pool.com/start.shtml)

Later,
Bob

DickLeonard
07-15-2005, 06:49 AM
Fran that reminds of an incident that happened to me I was caddying in the member guest Tourney at the CC. The member had me clubbing him on ever shot. The guest was a zero handicap, on one hole he took a five iron and I told him he should use a four. He told me he was a scratch golfer and he didn't need a caddy to tell him what club to use.

He hit the ball solid in line with the flag. He gave me the club and took his putter. When we got to the dip in front of the hole. There was his ball thirty yards short of the green. I had cut over to the next tee and dropped the clubs and was walking back to grab the pin. Seeing his ball I asked if his neeeded another club with a smirk on my face. From what I know about caddying a good caddy is 25% of golf from the Pros on down.
I was say playing in a golf cart reduces the players game by that much.####

Fran Crimi
07-15-2005, 07:43 AM
HAHA! That's a great story, Dick. You really SHOULD write a book.

Fran

BoroNut
07-15-2005, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> HAHA! That's a great story, Dick. You really SHOULD write a book.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Great idea. I for one am on tenterhooks waiting to know how long it took the arse doctor to remove the putter.

Boro Nut

DickLeonard
07-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Chris one of these days I will try to locate Peter Balner, he must have plenty of old brocheurs of Palmer Cues. I know he would love collectors of Palmers Cues. I think he always felt slighted by people holding his cues in little regard when most of the poolplayers swore by them.####

DickLeonard
07-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Fran as a women you will love this story. You know how women are trying to break into playing at Augusta National, a mens only club.

At Schulyer Meadows where I caddied, it was said that at the end of the year what ever the club was in the red. Dr. Hun and Mrs.Keeler would split the difference. I met one of the members daughter-in-law, I mentioned that and she said Mrs. Keeler and Dr.Hun started the club.

I would caddy for Mrs. Keeler all of the time, the only thing I could say about her was she had Balls. No one, would push her around.####

tateuts
07-26-2005, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Chris one of these days I will try to locate Peter Balner, he must have plenty of old brocheurs of Palmer Cues. I know he would love collectors of Palmers Cues. I think he always felt slighted by people holding his cues in little regard when most of the poolplayers swore by them.#### <hr /></blockquote>

I could do it I'm sure if I had the time and energy. Right now I'm pretty busy at work and draggin' butt.

In the fall I'll give it a little more effort. I can travel for next to nothing so meeting up with him somewhere would be pretty simple to arrange. There is so much information he could provide.

Here's my favorite caddie story.

For my two day match with my arch rival in Hawaii, he hired these caddies to go with us at Kapalua, Maui. I got this caddie who was a really nice young man, every other word was "sir". He had impeccable manners and was very well groomed.

The pineapple bugs were out and blowing around like sand pebbles. One blew into my mouth, I turned to the side and spit. Sure enough, the spit landed right on my caddies leg! I apologized profusely of course. He turned to me an said "that's quite all right, sir. Im a caddie so I'm used to it!"

I won the 2 day match by 1 stroke. His tip was $100.

Chris

jungledude51
07-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Randy, just put a bid in on a house on the golf course near Laplace, La., if I get the house you'll have to come down for a weekend even though I don't play because of neck surgery prevents it. Glad to see you found another great teacher, because you are absolute best pool instructor....Gerald Huber, author, "The Green Felt Jungle" /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

randyg
07-28-2005, 05:43 AM
Gerald, you got a deal. How the hell are you? Do you still get to play as much as the old days?

I'll pack my cue &amp; clubs at your notice......SPF-randyg