PDA

View Full Version : Disassembly & storage

fast n loose
07-11-2005, 03:28 PM
I'm moving out of my house to a much smaller apartment for about a year and need to put my table in storage. I will be getting a regular storage unit for my furniture and stuff and am wondering if it will be OK to just store my table in there, disassembled with the slate upright, or if I need to get a climate-controlled storage unit for the table. This is in Colorado Springs, where there is not much humidity but the temperature extremes can be 0 in the winter to 95 in the summer. Also, are there any special precautions I need to take in disassembling and moving the table (besides being extra careful)? This is an 8' Connelly.

Scott Lee
07-12-2005, 10:58 AM
fast n loose...The slates should be laid flat (instead of on end), on a pallet. The rest of the table should be fine, but I'd invest in some "mover's blankets" to wrap the body parts of the table. They're cheap insurance against nicks and other damage.

Scott Lee

dad8
07-12-2005, 12:06 PM
You need to store the rails in your new home they will bad its just a gum rubber and extreme temperature change will cause the rubber to break down.First the cushions become soft then they harden with time.The rest of the table should be fine.Lay the slate flat and protect the finish with blankets do not use plastic it sweats and will kill the finish.

SPetty
07-12-2005, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dad8:</font><hr> You need to store the rails in your new home or they will go bad. It's just a gum rubber and extreme temperature change will cause the rubber to break down. First the cushions become soft then they harden with time.<hr /></blockquote>Yeah, but are they 100% gum rubber cushions (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=200185&amp;page=0&amp;v iew=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1) ?

Sorry, couldn't resist... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dad8
07-12-2005, 05:55 PM
I put the post up about 100% gum rubber because I wanted to see how many people think it's true.I know it's not possible 100% gum rubber is a sap.Any one that has been in the billiard industie would say'made from 100%gum rubber smart guy.I'm new to the sight I'm trying to see who here know's what there talking about.I'm a top 3 Brunswick dealer and have been for over 16 years.Also carry Connelly,Drawknife.

fast n loose
07-13-2005, 08:34 AM
OK, thanks for the info. Why is it that the slate should be laid flat instead of on end? Just asking b/c a mover I talked to said they laid them on end. Also, is it OK to lay the slate pieces on top of one another, or should they be separate?

dad8
07-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Its ok to put the slate on end but I'd rather store mine laying flat where I know it can't fall over.When we order slate some companys store it on its edge in crates others flat in the crate I've had more chips and cracks on the slate stored on edge.

Scott Lee
07-13-2005, 10:23 AM
fast n loose...dad8 gave you the same info. It's perfectly okay to stack the slates on top of one another! Laying them flat just protects the edges better.

Scott Lee