PDA

View Full Version : wpc announcer

vinnie717
07-12-2005, 07:01 AM
Did anybody watch the wpc? If you did did you notice how excited and loud the commentator was and the music after each rack?the music was a good touch tho.

cycopath
07-12-2005, 09:30 AM
I didn't see it but you are probably talking about Sid Waddell. He gets a little nuts sometimes, but he's fun to listen to.

Scott Lee
07-12-2005, 10:34 AM
vinnie717...Unfortunately, the WPC is televised live all over the world, EXCEPT in the U.S.A. We will probably get a few hours of excerpts sometime in the next couple of months. Still unbelievable that with all the interested poolplayers here in the U.S., we can't get coverage of this world-class event...even on PPV. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Scott Lee

John_Madden
07-12-2005, 06:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> vinnie717...Unfortunately, the WPC is televised live all over the world, EXCEPT in the U.S.A. We will probably get a few hours of excerpts sometime in the next couple of months. Still unbelievable that with all the interested poolplayers here in the U.S., we can't get coverage of this world-class event...even on PPV. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>
Would have loved to watch it in the shop while I was building cues (more like listening) --- in pool heaven. Scott, it was nice meeting you last month. Sort of rushed with my company and yours. Would love to have you visit again.
Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com (http://www.johnmaddencues.com)

Keith Talent
07-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Scott,

Beyond not being able to follow the WPC except over shaky Web feeds (I'm glad I got to see maybe 3 hours' worth, though!), I was a little bummed when there on the front page of The Paper of Record on Sunday (which has page upon page of international stories) was a big story on the World Series of Poker and absolutely no mention of the WPC anywhere in that huge stack of pulp, even in the agate pages.

WSOP! Hell, I'd just as soon read a physics tome on how the lottery balls fall down the vacuum tube ... is there really much difference in determining the winner?

AzHousePro
07-13-2005, 05:38 AM
I didn't hear any of Sid's commentary this year. I did hear Steve Davis, Jim Wych, Jerry Forsyth and even Johnny Archer doing commentary on the web streams that I saw.

Mike

thecardman
07-13-2005, 07:15 AM
Sid wasn't at this year's WPC as he was in Las Vegas covering the Las Vegas Desert Classic darts tournament for Sky Sports - darts is the sport that made Sid famous here in the UK as a commentator.

As for the others, there was Jim Wych, Jerry Forsyth, Steve Davis (after he was knocked out of the tournament), Bob Guerrero (BobG from the Matchroom 9-Ball Forums), Anthony Person and Chuck Shriner with a guest appearance or 2 from Johnny Archer.

Also, here in the UK we were lucky enough to have Kim Davenport as the in-studio guest and analyst for the whole 9 days of the tournament. I'm hoping that he isn't in the studio again next year - I'm hoping he's actually at the World Championships playing once again.

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nostroke
07-13-2005, 06:40 PM
I watched it live over the internet the last 3 days by d/l'ing Feidian Software. It's some peer to peer deal that i dont understand of course but it worked beautifully. Wish i had found it earlier-Oh well, next year if i can remember it that long.

c.holtz009
07-14-2005, 08:25 AM
I could actually do without hearing Sid's voice on the pool commentary. It's just my opinion, but I find him a little annoying for pool.
I think darts is more his fortay.

Keith Talent
07-14-2005, 11:51 PM
I never heard crazy Sid, either, at WPC. But while we're talking announcers, do you think somebody could tell Jim Wych to lay off the snooker crap? As in, 'He's got to maneuver behind all those colors ..."

And the break-off?

Oh, and though I sometimes appreciate his observations and his general command of the language, I wish he would stop saying how Alex and Corey could "pick the eyes out of a rattlesnake at 100 yards (or feet)." He used it again at WPC, after working that in on a 2004 Open tape I've got, too, can't recall, either Corey's match with Mika or Efren. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Always enjoy hearing JJ, though.

c.holtz009
07-15-2005, 07:40 AM
I actually met Jim Wych at a tournament in Luc Salvas' room in Valleyfield, Quebec (Dooley's). He's really a good guy, and very knowlegeable about the game. He's not a bad player either.
I just don't think Sid has the knowlege of the game. It's much better to have someone commentating who knows the game and it's intricities. Who better than actual players?

Keith Talent
07-16-2005, 07:22 AM
Didn't mean to sound peevish ... I'm sure Wych knows more than I'm likely to ever know and plays better than I'll ever play. Probably read too damn many snooker threads lately. Really, I think he's professional, just a couple of things got on me nerves.

recoveryjones
07-16-2005, 10:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> vinnie717...Unfortunately, the WPC is televised live all over the world, EXCEPT in the U.S.A. We will probably get a few hours of excerpts sometime in the next couple of months. Still unbelievable that with all the interested poolplayers here in the U.S., we can't get coverage of this world-class event...even on PPV. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Scott,

Yes I agree with you that it's shameful that the USA only gets about 4 hrs coverage per year. When it comes to pool, the USA is defintly one of the top six nations along with Taiwan,The Phillipines,Germany,Japan and the Netherlands.

In Canada they show all nine days of coverage in a two hour highlight package for 18 hours coverage total.In the UK and Taiwan they get 50-60 hours of coverage or more and show every rack in every set.

I've tentaviley arrange two trades for those wonderful sets and hopefully one of those traders comes through. Take care, RJ