PDA

View Full Version : Slate weight

catscradle
07-13-2005, 10:47 AM
The other night as I watched a Connelly 2 in slate table being disassembled somebody mentioned that each of the 4 slates was 400 lbs. That didn't seem right to me so I found the specific gravity of slate on the net (168 lbs/cf if the source I found is trustworthy) and did some calculations. I assumed the piece of slate allowing for excess outside the playing surface would be 54x27x2 inches and I came up with a expected weight of about 284 lbs.
Is there something wrong with my calculations or did the other guy over estimate the weight of each piece?

Chopstick
07-13-2005, 12:22 PM
I always heard it was around 250 lbs per.

Barbara
07-13-2005, 12:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> I always heard it was around 250 lbs per. <hr /></blockquote>

Normally a 1" slate from a 3-piece section will weigh 218 lbs. But the Connelly has 2" slate and it's divided into four sections to make handling it easier.

I would think the Connelly sections weigh more than 250 lbs.

Barbara

catscradle
07-13-2005, 12:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> I always heard it was around 250 lbs per. <hr /></blockquote>

Normally a 1" slate from a 3-piece section will weigh 218 lbs. But the Connelly has 2" slate and it's divided into four sections to make handling it easier.

I would think the Connelly sections wiegh more than 250 lbs.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

The 4 piece then would be twice as thick and 3/4 the length of a 3 piece.
2 * .75 * 218 = 327 pounds
This falls in between my previously calculated 284 and the stated 400 lbs. Given the fact that I'm different types of slate have different specific gravities and I was guessing at dimensions, it seems like a reasonable figure.