PDA

View Full Version : My daughter

eg8r
07-13-2005, 01:29 PM
After a week or so back from vacation (and in a couple more weeks I will heading on another vacation) I finally have some time to post about my daughter. I love her to death. We are taking her to swimming lessons tonight and what peace of mind these lessons have become. Arnold Palmer recently lost a grandchild a few months ago in a swimming accident.

My daughter is now 10 months old and it has been amazing how fast these 10 months have flown. I am a big "education type" person and it excites me to be able to actually watch someone learn. There is a lot I had no idea about and I am sure there is more to come. Anyways, since we live in Florida my wife and I felt it was very important to have our daughter in swimming lessons as soon as possible. Much to our surprise she was able to begin classes at 6 months old (not really tied to the age but the child must begin starting to crawl). Over these past 4 months it has been amazing to see her progress. The first day we were so scared to see her go face first not having any idea what was about to happen. Now, you can drop her in the pool and she will come to the top floating on her back. The class we take her to is a Rescue Swimming school. Basically she is not learning to swim, per se, but she is learning to float. In our minds, this will give us an extra few precious seconds should our daughter sneak outside and fall in the pool, or worse yet travel even further down and fall in the lake.

It is already exciting for us to see her floating with no help. If you put her in the water face down, she is able to flip herself over onto her back and float. If she sees the side of the pool, she will reach out and grab it. She is able to hold herself out of the the pool as long as there is something to grab onto. It really is amazing to me.

Well, while on vacation a couple weeks ago we were at hotel pool (could not go swimming in the beach because of red tide) and the parents were making quite a ruckus about our little Haleigh. As you can guess the pool was very, very crowded since the beach was off limits and there were a lot of children running around with floats and "swimmies" on their arms. My wife got in the pool first and walked out about 2 feet or so. When I got in, I pushed my daughter towards my wife (face down in the water). One mother thought I was crazy, but when Haleigh flipped on her back and kicked her legs the mother could not believe it. Haleigh had successfully kicked herself over to where my wife was at and she was picked up. Every day turned into a show, different people asking if we could please make our daughter swim so that their family member could see.

It got a little tiring after a few times, but I figure, what the heck, if this causes some awareness in parents to get their children to swimming classes then I would continue as long as my daughter did not get tired.

Anyways, she has excelled a bit further than was expected and her swimming instructor has asked for her to continue coming to swimming classes through Christmas. Hey, who knows, maybe we have an olympic champion.

Thanks for letting me tell you a little bit about my amazing daughter. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

nAz
07-13-2005, 02:26 PM
Dude that is SWEET! anything you can teach them, like swimming can only make them a more confident person when they get older.

I forget sometimes that your not just a cold hearted hard headed right wing fanatical war mongering polluting MOFO. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'd bet that girl will wrap you around her finger... BEWARE!
I know some poeple don't like to post on the net pics of their kids but if possible I'd like to see a pic of the little eg8r. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW here is link or two to set her straight... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.yda.org/CMS/PastOfficers or...
http://www.electgop.net/fl/yr/

eg8r
07-13-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I forget sometimes that your not just a cold hearted hard headed right wing fanatical war mongering polluting MOFO. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote> Thanks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here is the web page (http://www.trailersplusinc.com/haleigh/) with a few pics of her when she first started. I have some more recent pics of her not swimming but have not loaded them. I am redesigning her website and adding galleries, you can check this link (http://www.trailersplusinc.com/haleigh/test_website_layout.htm) periodically, but it is just a test site. Once I get the gallery and the database built and up and running, I will move it to another site. If I remember I will post the link to the new site.

You mentioned confidence, the instructor told us that as soon as she notices everyone watching her, she will begin showing off. Well, on the second day of our vacation, there were a few people gathered around watching her, and she had the biggest smile on her face looking up at all of them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

wolfdancer
07-13-2005, 05:45 PM
eg8r, nice post, neat story, cute kid!!!!!!

dg-in-centralpa
07-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Once they get older and you can interact more with them, it really is precious to watch them learn from you.

DG - has a daughter who'll be 15 next month

cueball1950
07-13-2005, 08:34 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gifi believe that it was Jack Nicklaus who lost his grandson. he drowned in a hot tub or some type of spa /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif. or atleast that is what Bob Costas said last night on his show when he interviewed Jack before the British Open starts this week. Either way or either one. it is still sad to lose a child like that. i have a grandson who is just turning 10 and he has autism pretty bad. he can walk and cannot talk or communicate but he taught himself to "swim". Not real swimming but he taught himself to "float" using his arms and legs to accomplish this. I did not know this and when i saw him climbing into the deep end of the pool i started to panic and my daughter told me to just let him go and watch. he sure surprised me. what is even more surprising is that he can go non stop for so long. so please keep those lessons going for your daughter and keep the praise coming for her. it helps alot with their confidence..................mike

PQQLK9
07-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Nice story Ed,I know you are a proud Papa.

I am going to send my Grandson this post because on the 27 of Aug. I will
have a Greatgrandson /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
07-14-2005, 02:04 AM
Great story Ed. She's a doll. Glad she's getting the lessons. I had my daughter swimming at that age also. Now my grand daughter is the swim star!

Children, our greatest treasure.

Love,
Gayle

eg8r
07-14-2005, 03:50 AM
Thanks for the reply, I will definitely continue the lessons.

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that it was Jack Nicklaus who lost his grandson. <hr /></blockquote> You could be right. It is a shame. I don't know what I will do if that ever happens.

eg8r

eg8r
07-14-2005, 03:51 AM
Thanks.

eg8r

eg8r
07-14-2005, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the reply, we will definitely continue the lessons. I wanted the piece of mind that should something happen we know we have done everything we can to keep her safe. Besides the fact that having floats attached to your arms sucks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

She is definitely a treasure.

eg8r

eg8r
07-14-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am going to send my Grandson this post because on the 27 of Aug. I will
have a Greatgrandson <hr /></blockquote> Please do. I think all parents should get their kids in lessons as soon as possible. It also lightens the load a little bit when packing her stuff to go to the beach. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
07-14-2005, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Once they get older and you can interact more with them, it really is precious to watch them learn from you. <hr /></blockquote> I am excited about it all.

eg8r

dg-in-centralpa
07-14-2005, 04:13 AM
My brother was 35 when he died in a car accident. My father has not been the same since and my brother's gone 9 years. And I almost died this year around the same time as my brother's accident. Dad was a basket case. You should never have to bury your children. Cherish every moment you have with her.

DG

dg-in-centralpa
07-14-2005, 04:18 AM
My daughter and I have this great relationship. She's an only child, so I act as a pesky brother to her. We pick on each other, play fight, etc. She loves it.

DG

Wally_in_Cincy
07-14-2005, 04:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>

..our little Haleigh....
<hr /></blockquote>

i though you were naming her hillary /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

keep up the good work. i taught my step-daughter to swim when she was 8, right after i got together with her mother. it really does make you worry less

9 Ball Girl
07-14-2005, 04:53 AM
That sounds great, Ed! I'm glad that you're enjoying Daddyhood! Imagine what it'll be like when Haleigh (pronounced Haley?) gets a sibling!

I think it's great that at such an early age you took her to get swimming lessons. It sure takes the fear out of water. I'm terrified of deep waters (and its inhabitants) but somehow it fascinates me, go figure. I took swimming lessons when I was about 19 years old, but that was in a swimming pool. You won't catch me doing any kind of stroke out in the ocean. Especially crystal clear water which IMO is the most dangerous only 'cause you think the bottom is near when in actuality it's really far. Geez, I got chills just typing this! Doh!

Anyway, she sounds like a joy. I'd like to see a pic of her doing her thing in the water. Even better, a video clip would be cool 'cause I've never seen a baby swim!

Deeman2
07-14-2005, 05:40 AM
Ed,

There's nothing like Daddy's little girl. I was blessed with two of them. They are in their nid and late twenties now. I hope you enjoy your daughter forever.

Deeman

eg8r
07-14-2005, 08:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There's nothing like Daddy's little girl. I was blessed with two of them. They are in their nid and late twenties now. I hope you enjoy your daughter forever. <hr /></blockquote> She is definitely daddy's little girl. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif My wife says Haleigh has me wrapped around her finger.

eg8r

eg8r
07-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Yes, pronounced the same as Haley. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My sis-in-law is afraid to swim in the ocean because of the unknown. This past trip to the beach we could not swim because of red tide. There were tons of dead fish all over the beach. Now she won't swim in the ocean because of all the puffer fish and snakes/eels.

My whole family (parents, bros, etc) are certified scuba divers. We used to take a 2 week vacation every year and rent a dive boat and stay out on the water (coming in one day for fuel and supplies) diving twice a day. It was awesome. I cannot imagine being afraid of the water and I hope my daughter does not have that fear either.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see a pic of her doing her thing in the water. <hr /></blockquote> Check my reply to Naz.

No video yet, but basically all she does is float and kick right now. I call it swimming, but it really is floating. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
07-14-2005, 08:26 AM
No hillary. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
07-20-2005, 09:04 AM
if anybody is looking for some neat learning toys for babies check this out. i have seen some of them and they are great

http://www.tinylove.com

http://www.tinylove.com/toy.aspx?toyId=25

nAz
07-20-2005, 08:42 PM
ya she is really cute sir.... must take after the mom. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

heater451
07-22-2005, 07:23 AM
Nice to hear/read, Ed---I don't know why more people don't start their kids swimming early. And, it shouldn't shock people--babies spend about nine months breathing liquid!

================================

SnakebyteXX
07-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Eg8r -

I read your description of your daughter and the benefits of her infant swimming lessons with great interest. You have reason to be proud. It's important to note that by introducing her to this challenge at such an early age you've managed to give her confidence in herself. Instilling confidence in children can be a difficult job - when a parent succeeds it carries a value beyond measure. Confidence builds on itself - in children it often leads to them trying new things and succeeding at them as well.

I have one daughter (now 27). She was our first born. Jessie showed signs early on of being quite bright. She uttered her first word at nine months and by the age of two was speaking in complete sentences using multi-syllabic words. We didn't consider it unusual but other adults would often look at her with astonishment because they couldn't believe that such a tiny little person could verbalize so well at such an early age.

Which brings me to my number one recommendation: If you haven't been doing this already - consider setting aside a special time to read to your daughter on a daily basis. We had a nightly ritual of bedtime reading. Children's books of course - nothing heavy. But because we emphasized the pleasure that could be had from reading books she picked up on it. As she grew older and learned to read herself she became an inveterate reader practically wearing out her library card. I'm convinced that reading copiously for children is the key to developing good language and writing skills as they grow up.

As I mentioned earlier our daughter showed evidence of above average intelligence very early on. We nurtured that in her - did our best to feed her hunger for knowledge by enrolling her in the local Montessori school at age two. By the time she was 4 1/2 and September rolled around we prevailed on a local elementary school to let her start kindergarten early.
She was ready and it was time.

Eg8r - we later learned that our daughter was not just a little extra-smart - she was REALLY smart. But even being really smart doesn't help unless the child's hunger for learning has the support and encouragement of her parents.

There is a cultural bias in our country that implies girls/women are not as bright or capable as their male counterparts. Ask any woman over forty (even under forty) how many obstacles they've had to overcome in order to be accepted as equals in the workplace. Part of your job as Dad will be to help teach your daughter that she is as capable or perhaps even more capable than anyone with whom she competes - regardless of sex.

During the entire time she was growing up we never once told Jessie that she couldn't do such and such a job or take such and such a class because she was female. Feelings of inferiority can be taught - believing that you are capable of reaching any goal you set for yourself can also be taught.

Jessie grew into a self-directed young woman. At 14, at the end of her freshman year in high school and the beginning of summer vacation - while all the other kids were leaving thoughts of school far behind - she came home and announced to us that she wanted to take a course in 'Creative Writing' at the local Junior College. We were stunned and not altogether sure what to do. The JC was twelve miles away. For her to take summer classes would mean letting our 14 year old daughter ride the bus by herself and be out of our supervision on a college campus. We were scared and reluctant to give her permission but in the end we gave in and 'let' her go.

Two years later at the age of 18, she graduated from that JC with a 4.0. She was the youngest member of the graduating class and the keynote speaker. She transferred from there to UC Berkeley with a double major, carrying an average of 22 units per semester. She graduated from UCB with a 3.96 gpa at the age of 20. Again she was chosen to be a speaker at the commencement ceremonies.

By then she'd decided that she wanted to practice law. She came to us and asked for our help in paying to send out applications to various different law schools (twelve of them at $50 a pop!). She further asked us to cover the cost of an LSAT prep course (all law schools require the LSAT). We did - to the tune of another six bills. With the added boost of the prep course she nailed the LSAT - scoring 177 out of a possible 180 points.

That's when our mailbox began to fill up with requests from law schools all over the country offering everything from full boat scholarships to free on campus residency. It was an amazing time. In the end she 'settled' on Harvard Law, from which she graduated at 23.

Jessie now lives and works in San Francisco. At 27 she commands a six figure salary working for a law firm in the Financial District. She will be up for partnership consideration in three more years and I expect that IF that's what she wants - that's what she will get.

Aside from all the obvious bragging and proud poppa stuff that you can see in the previous few paragraphs what I hope you can also see is that your daughter can and will be shaped by what you do for her starting right from the very beginning. Teaching her that learning is good - that reading is good - that going for it is good - and that she CAN DO ANYTHING she sets her mind to - that's your and your wife's job.

It will be time well spent. I know because - I've been there and done that and have much more than a t-shirt to show for it.

Best of luck raising your little girl. She'll grow up much faster than you might think. Enjoy the time with her and above all - keep your eyes on the prize (her).

Snake

Fred Agnir
07-22-2005, 01:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> My daughter is now 10 months old and it has been amazing how fast these 10 months have flown. <hr /></blockquote>

They do grow up quickly. When my girls (now 14 and 12 yrs. old) had their first swimming lessons, they immediately had more swimming lessons than I ever had. They both took to it so much that they were both recruited to join the recreational swim team (which is the youth training ground for our local high school, the 9-time defending state champions). My younger daughter is still on the team, competing in swim meets about once a month.

Fred

eg8r
07-22-2005, 10:57 PM
Hey Snake,

Thanks for the post. What an amazing daughter you have. I love watching my daughter learn new things. It is amazing how much we take for granted that is all brand new to her. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyways, I like your outlook on learning and encouragement. I am sure we will work hard to do the best we can with her.

Thanks,

eg8r

eg8r
07-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Same with me on the swimming lessons. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I grew up with the floaty things on my arms.

I have always loved swimming, so if my daughter has even an ounce of the desire I had, she can continue the swimming lessons for as long as she would like.

eg8r