PDA

View Full Version : trying to quit smoking... how?

sack316
07-13-2005, 01:59 PM
hey guys and gals, this is mainly for those who have quit smoking I suppose. I'm trying to quit of course for the obvious health reasons, but also it's so expensive, my girlfriend doesn't like it, my apartment and clothes usually stink, and pick and choose any of the other zillion reasons why I know I need to quit.
But of course the kicker, and also the problem, is that I do enjoy smoking and that part of me doesn't want to stop. I am now on the patch, which in the periods when I am not smoking I think does help the cravings, but it's the habit of doing it at certain times, intervals, or events that finds me puffing away (yeah, not good while wearing the patch also right?). I bought some suckers to pop in my mouth when I do feel the urge, and had moderate success at work today with it. But wow there are only so many suckers I can eat before my tounge was numb! I guess my main hope for the sucker thing is to cut out some here and there, and at least make some forward progress. If it makes sense though I guess you could say I'm having a tough time starting stopping.
It's nothing like when I quit drinking when I had immediate consequences that were tangible, rehab,and an AA group to pull me through. This is like I can't get my brain and my body on the same page to get the ball rolling.
So I'm coming to my friends on here who have always been so helpful when I needed any advice, and please let me know any tricks or methods you may have used that helped get ya there... cuz at this rate I see myself years down the road being that guy pulling an oxygen tank smoking through a hole in my throat! thanks in advance, and hopefully Sack will see you at the CCB tournament a smoke free man

Barbara
07-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Sack,

You have to want to quit, not just physically, but mentally. You have to mentally prepare yourself that you are going to give this up. I gave myself a date I would quit smoking and reminded myself constantly about that date. I reminded myself all the time so it got to a point where I just wanted to get over with it. I used the Nicotrol inhaler and that helped with keeping my hands busy.

There are lots of ex-smokers on this board with all kinds of different advice on what helped them to quit, so do a search to see who did what.

Good luck! You can make it happen if you really want to.

Barbara

DebraLiStarr
07-13-2005, 02:53 PM
This might sound like very simple advice, but I just quit Cold Turkey. I stopped buying them. I stopped smoking them. One day lead to two, two days lead to three, now its been over 3and a half years. It is extremely difficult at first, but if you are serious about quitting you will not light one up. Just stick with it. If you need someone to talk to about it.. use me. I'd be more than willing to share what I went through when I decided to quit. Just remember it isn't easy at all. Celebrate your success. Going 20 minutes without a cigarette was a long time for me. At the beginning, my celebrations were every 20 minutes, then by the hour, by the day, by the week, the month, and now years. Sometimes I still can't believe that I was able to quit. If I can do it.. you can too!

Voodoo Daddy
07-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Wasnt gonna say nuthin cause its not very important but it has been 3 weeks for me, on the patch and lots of gum. I kicked a 27 year habit mentally, now its a physical challenge...plus I'm down 70 lbs with the help of TrimSpa. Yeah, me and Anna Nicole take the same stuff. Good luck with quiting...it aint easy unless you want it to be.

Barbara
07-13-2005, 04:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Wasnt gonna say nuthin cause its not very important but it has been 3 weeks for me, on the patch and lots of gum. I kicked a 27 year habit mentally, now its a physical challenge...plus I'm down 70 lbs with the help of TrimSpa. Yeah, me and Anna Nicole take the same stuff. Good luck with quiting...it aint easy unless you want it to be. <hr /></blockquote>

Woohoo Steve!! Way to go!!

Barbara

cueball1950
07-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Big Steve.....way to go. keep it up. barbara, you are right also. Debra did it like i did. i just quit cold turkey. i went from 3 packs a day habit of 42 years to none over night. and i am only 55 years old. started young. the hardest cigarette to get over is that first 1 in the morning with your coffee. I also drank about 2 pots of coffee a day and had to have a cig or 2 every time i drank coffee. so i cut down on coffee also. try to think of everything you are doing when you have that cigarette. then just cut that down. i also put myself into situations where i could not smoke. malls, stores, movies etc. that will also help. also you might want to try the patch or what Steve uses or you might want to try a medication called wellbutrin. it is an anti depressant that they have found stops the urge for smoking. you take it for a couple of weeks and set a target date and just stop on that date. what ever way you try i wish you all the luck ing the world.

catscradle
07-14-2005, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> hey guys and gals, this is mainly for those who have quit smoking I suppose. <hr /></blockquote>

I quit about 36 years ago when I was getting out of the military and didn't want to pay the exorbitant price of 30 somthing cents a pack. I got a small booklet down the px and it had some good ideas which I'll try to remember.

1. Make a list of all the reasons you want to quit AND all the reasons you want to smoke, be honest. I made mine in the form of a t-account and when I finished it the reasons for quitting were a lot longer than the reasons not to. Carry this list with you always and refer to it in times of temptation.

2. Get one of those pocket/wallet size calenders or make one. Carry it with you at all times and x off the days as they go by and you don't smoke. You'll be surprised how reinforcing the concept of extending the "run" of days can be.

3. To the largest extent possible avoid things associated with smoking. When I quit I didn't see the inside of a bar for a month and I didn't hang around after chow while my buddies had a cig.

4. Start doing something that is incompatible with smoking, I started running and playing basketball EVERY day.

5. As Voodoo said keep the gum and life savers around.

6. Make it as public as possible that you quit, tell everybody. That way it is more embarrassing if you backslide.

That little 50 page booklet had a lot more good ideas, but it was 30 odd years ago and that's about all I remember of it.
Good luck.

landshark77
07-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Like Debra, I quit cold turkey. I agree with Barbara in that you have to be mentally prepared. I was not, but I had no choice. May last cig was towards the end of April and honestly, my plan is to go back around the end of next April...HOWEVER...it is getting increasingly easy for me not to smoke now...it is like my body forgot about it. At first it drove me nuts, especailly if I was around others that were smoking. Then I would go through "test" predictaments....situations that I would normally smoke in...in the car, while surfing the net, after eating...and I have noticed that has totally subsided. I also don't feen for one when others smoke...instead I find it annoying and stinky....but you know, talking about it makes me want one...so I best stop. Good luck to you.

Drop1
07-14-2005, 06:55 PM
I quit cold turkey,twenty five years ago. At that time,I was smoking two,or more packs a day. I smoked when I ate,I smoked when the phone rang,I smoked with each cup of coffee.You get the idea. I stopped by throwing my smokes away,and said I'm now a non smoker. But the friggin urge kept coming back,like when I would have a drink damn I wanted a smoke. Now the secret is fifteen seconds,and a deep breath. When you feel the urge to smoke,look at your watch,take a deep breath and wait fifteen seconds. You will notice the desire has reduced,and you can function for another forty minutes. This goes on for about eight days get the urge,look at the watch,take a deep breath,and continue. After three weeks you will notice how much better food tastes,and the watch drill seem much easier. It is a challenge,and I can resist anything except temptation,but by damn I did it,and I quit smoking. You can too.

nhp
07-15-2005, 04:43 AM
I am usually too embarassed to admit this, but I've tried to quit smoking for the last 5 years but never had the willpower to do it. I'm 24 and have been smoking since I was twelve, I smoke about 10 cigarettes per day. I can't even count how many times I've tried, and the longest I've gone is two weeks. What I've realized from this is that so many people don't ever quit smoking until it's too late. This is always in the back of my mind, I tell myself to quit before I do some irreversible damage to my health, and my excuse is always "I'll quit soon", but it never happens. It's funny this thread came up because my girlfriend and I had a LOOOONG discussion about this yesterday, and she really wants me to quit. So far I've tried the nicotine gum and cold turkey. I lasted the longest with the gum, and with cold turkey I got nicotine withdrawals so bad to the point that I was shaky, had a headache, was constantly agitated, and I always felt like I had just woken up after a long nap. Right now I am looking into this product called "smoke away" that is supposed to have a 99% success rate for quitting or something like that or your money back, so I am going to try that.

My advice to you is that when you do quit smoking, try your best to stay away from people that are smoking. I know this can be hard to do, and sometimes impossible, but in the period where you just crave one every waking minute, the best thing you can do is separate yourself as far from cigarettes as possible. If you have any friends that smoke, tell them that you quit and would appreciate it if they didn't light up in front of you for the next few days. Thats the best advice I can give, hope this works out for you, and me too.

Vapros
07-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Here's how I did it, about twenty years ago. First, change your smoking habits around the house, as follows: Put the pack of cigarettes in one room (maybe on a high shelf or in a cabinet. Put the lighter in another difficult place in another room. Keep a five-gallon plastic bucket outside the door. When you feel like you have to smoke, go and get one cigarette and then get the lighter and then go outside, taking the bucket with you. Put the bucket upside down on the driveway and sit on it while you get your smoke, while facing the street and whoever may pass. This applies to all times of day in all kinds of weather. Take an umbrella if you have to.
You will feel pretty dumb each time, and soon you will go only when you can't resist the urge, but the smoke will always be available if you really want it. Before long you will quit making an ass of yourself in this manner. If this works for you at home, do something similar in your other smoking sites. You don't have to make smoking impossible, but make it tough as hell. Eventually you may find it just ain't worth it.

feetdoc
07-17-2005, 12:58 PM
ok here is the bog question...why did any of you ever start smoking to begin with?

SnakebyteXX
07-18-2005, 08:58 AM
Here's yet one more in a long list of good reasons to quit:

Smokers who give up are much less likely to lose their teeth prematurely than those who do not kick the habit, research shows.

Quit smoking to save your teeth (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4692531.stm)

Best of luck.

Snake

sack316
07-18-2005, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote feetdoc:</font><hr> ok here is the bog question...why did any of you ever start smoking to begin with? <hr /></blockquote>

Actually for me after I quit playing baseball I would smoke at parties to not drink (I'm from the country, aint much to do besides drink at those parties). Little did I know I'd wind up developing an addiction to both eventually! But it is strange to me that I really can't pinpoint the time where I went from a social smoker to an all out smoker, but I sure wish I never would have

ceebee
07-19-2005, 06:13 AM
Ask yourself this question. Are you in charge of your body &amp; what you do to it or put in it?

The "little person", in you, keeps you from quitting such a treacherous habit, the "little person" wants to have some fun and the "little person" wants to have that fun, RIGHT NOW. The "little person" doesn't give a rat's ass about tomorrow or what the consequences are, the "little person" wants that smoke or that alcohol or that candy bar, right FUKKING NOW.

You wouldn't voluntarily walk in to a room full of smoke, so why light up &amp; smoke another cigarette. Did you know that cigarette smoking actually affects your eyes? How in the Hell can you possibly shoot Pool well, when your eyesight is diminished? Drugs of any kind are a crutch, you can't be a consistant winner, leaning on a crutch.

However, you are in charge &amp; you will probably do what the "little person" requests of you. Only when you have educated the "little person", will you become your best.

I know that smoking &amp; drinking is wrong. Hopefully I can succesfully educate my Little Person.

Voodoo Daddy
07-19-2005, 06:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote feetdoc:</font><hr> ok here is the bog question...why did any of you ever start smoking to begin with? <hr /></blockquote>

I hung witha tough crowd growing up...cigarettes were the lightest thing smoked back then. Until I was 18, I never smoked more than 4 cigarettes a day. The day before I quit...27 yrs later I was burnin' 2 packs a day.

houseman
07-24-2005, 03:38 PM
I quit 2 1/2 years ago after using that 7 day smoke away they had on tv. After 2 days I was done and haven`t smoked since. I would like one right now but I DON`T DO IT.

catscradle
07-25-2005, 05:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houseman:</font><hr> I quit 2 1/2 years ago after using that 7 day smoke away they had on tv. After 2 days I was done and haven`t smoked since. I would like one right now but I DON`T DO IT. <hr /></blockquote>

It is the strangest thing, that never quite goes away. I quite almost 30 odd years ago and ever once in a while, maybe every couple of years, I crave a cigarette, very strange.
Same with drinking, quit 10-12 years ago, but every now and then have an urge, also very strange.
That is just something that goes with the territory I guess. At bad habit never quite goes away completely, better to never start the bad habit.

Voodoo Daddy
07-25-2005, 06:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Wasnt gonna say nuthin cause its not very important but it has been 3 weeks for me, on the patch and lots of gum. I kicked a 27 year habit mentally, now its a physical challenge...plus I'm down 70 lbs with the help of TrimSpa. Yeah, me and Anna Nicole take the same stuff. Good luck with quiting...it aint easy unless you want it to be. <hr /></blockquote>

Update, no patch...very lil gum. I go into the pool room and smell smoke and it doesnt bother me at all. On the 1 month mark I lit a Marlboro to see if I still had cravings, it tasted nasty and I putt it out fast...wow did that taste bad /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif In fairness, I will never turn my nose up at a smoker...hell I was one!!