PDA

View Full Version : Ball Breakers

9 Ball Girl
07-15-2005, 07:08 AM
Hope this is better than that Celebrity Shoot Out thing:

Ball Breakers (http://www.gsn.com/win/battle/index.php)

Chopstick
07-15-2005, 08:03 AM
Oh, it's a pool thing. I thought it was another one of those women's talk shows. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Keith Talent
07-16-2005, 07:57 AM
Wendy,

You know anything about how they're selecting the 16 players for this pressure-packed race to 1 tourney? I was just reading the official rules and they were pretty murky. Looks like they can take 14 entrants any which way, then the last two either through a drawing at Slate or even as a radio promotion.

Would be a kick to play in it ... suppose I suck badly enough, but it's possible my potential entertainment/marketing value isn't what it could be. You on the other hand ... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
07-16-2005, 08:31 AM
I don't know how they're picking folks but the Slate "auditions" if you want to call it that sounds tempting! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith Talent
07-16-2005, 08:55 AM
Come to think of it, now that I've had my coffee, I think the 14 slots are being filled by that list of dipsh%t bars like Jake's Dilemma that were mentioned in a thread last week.

Maybe if we dressed and acted outrageously enuf, we'd have a shot at the other 2 slots. Where's my '86 Keith Hernandez jersey and Rusty Staub wig now that I need them?

Scott Lee
07-16-2005, 10:52 AM
Keith...You crack me up! LMAO /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott

Wally_in_Cincy
07-18-2005, 06:40 AM
this is on tonight

i'll def check it out

Rich R.
07-18-2005, 08:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> this is on tonight

i'll def check it out <hr /></blockquote>
I'll set the VCR and check it out tomorrow.
Something tells me that there is no rush, but I hope I'm wrong.

SPetty
07-18-2005, 09:20 AM
TV review: Ballbreakers
Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:20 AM ET
By Barry Garron

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Despite the provocative title and the use of "America's Next Top Model" winner Adrianne Curry as "rack girl," "Ballbreakers" is mostly just a billiard competition among skilled four amateurs vying for a $20,000 prize, edited to eliminate most of the pauses between shots.

"Wheel of Fortune" fans should feel at home. Although games of nine-ball replace word puzzles -- and side bets are encouraged -- amiable host Sal Masekela has the demeanor of a Pat Sajak, and Curry channels Vanna White. Meanwhile, the contestants, in addition to their billiards prowess, are encouraged to rev their personalities to full throttle. (There's also a celebrity version in which the money goes to the winner's selected charity and the celebs each take home one of the sponsor's pool tables.)

Here and there, the producers try to raise the sex quotient. Commentary is provided by blonde expert Ewa Mataya Laurance, referred to as "the striking Viking." What's more, each quartet of contestants seems to include at least one hottie (a former Hooters waitress in the amateur version; a former Playboy Playmate in the celeb show). Even so, the name of this game is billiards, and "Ballbreakers"' success will depend largely on how many want to watch it and maybe learn from it.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=televisionNews&amp;storyID=2005-07-18T121959Z_01_N18624126_RTRIDST_0_TELEVISION-REVIEW-TELEVISION-BALLBREAKERS-DC.XML

ceebee
07-18-2005, 09:28 AM
The Game Show Network is not available on our Cable One. Does GSN broadcast the show via the website?

Cueless Joey
07-18-2005, 10:13 AM
Two players from my local hall made it to the show.
One male and one really pretty player and extremely nice person namde Maria.
The other guy is a local B+ player.