PDA

View Full Version : How flat is table slate?

Chopstick
07-15-2005, 09:14 AM
I have always had doubts about the uniformity of the grind on my slates. I had been considering having them reground or trying to do it myself. I happend to find this aluminum sanding bar and decided to give it a try. I have one of those Starett levels and it does register hills and valleys on the slate.

When I put the sanding bar across it I found out why. They use a big wheel to grind these things and sometimes it digs in a little deeper in spots. This picture is the remnant of one of those grind lines. In some places the anomalies are pretty deep. I don't have a way to accurately measure these things other than how much work it takes to get them out.

I don't recommend anyone doing this. The only reason I tried it is because I already knew the slates were bad and decided to buy new ones so I had nothing to lose by trying this. So far it looks like I will be able to salvage these.

http://www.bobthebarfly.com/IMG_0418.JPG

Bob_Jewett
07-15-2005, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> ... The only reason I tried it is because I already knew the slates were bad and decided to buy new ones so I had nothing to lose by trying this. So far it looks like I will be able to salvage these.
... <hr /></blockquote>
What brand of table?

Cory
07-15-2005, 02:00 PM
10/1000th of an inch

Chopstick
07-15-2005, 02:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> ... The only reason I tried it is because I already knew the slates were bad and decided to buy new ones so I had nothing to lose by trying this. So far it looks like I will be able to salvage these.
... <hr /></blockquote>
What brand of table? <hr /></blockquote>

It's a 9 ft. Diamond PBA table. I bought it in the early nineties. It's the equivalent of the Professional today. I called Diamond and tried to buy new slates and replacement frame peices. My frame is layered plywood and the long ones warped.

They basically didn't want to hear from me and said they would call me back with a price. Needless to say they never called. I tried to buy slates from another source but they told me regular slates won't fit on a Diamond table. So, here I am, trying to make the best of it.

I'm almost finished with the center slate. It's working pretty good so far.

Troy
07-15-2005, 03:26 PM
The preferred West Coast method is to fill the low areas with Bondo® and sand smooth/flat. That's what Ernesto of Socal and Scarecrow of NorCal would do and they are two of the best.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>
It's a 9 ft. Diamond PBA table. I bought it in the early nineties. It's the equivalent of the Professional today. I called Diamond and tried to buy new slates and replacement frame peices. My frame is layered plywood and the long ones warped.

They basically didn't want to hear from me and said they would call me back with a price. Needless to say they never called. I tried to buy slates from another source but they told me regular slates won't fit on a Diamond table. So, here I am, trying to make the best of it.

I'm almost finished with the center slate. It's working pretty good so far. <hr /></blockquote>

tateuts
07-15-2005, 05:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> The preferred West Coast method is to fill the low areas with Bondo® and sand smooth/flat. That's what Ernesto of Socal and Scarecrow of NorCal would do and they are two of the best.

Troy
<hr /></blockquote>

Ernesto came over and did my Olhausen. He said "Chris, there is usually Grade 1 slate and Grade 2. Grade 1 is the best. Yours is about Grade 4!" Man, somehow he got it level. But it's much better to have good slate. Sometimes you get slate that's not ground right. I was disappointed that Olhausen would use junk slate. The table was built in the early 1990's.

Chris

sneakypapi
07-16-2005, 05:31 PM
I play on an Olhausen alot of the time and find the quality to be subpar in my opinion. The pockets always sag even after being fixed, the table has low spots that never seem to be leveled correctly and the cushions break down very quickly.

cdsracing
07-21-2005, 05:24 AM
I don't know who you spoke with at DIAMOND; however, I would like to personally reconcile the issue. This table was produced before my time (at DIAMOND) and before DIAMOND had a relationship with a high quality slate company. Not knowing exactly how old your table is 15 - 20 yrs., at that time DIAMOND purchased slates from the table manufacturers in the US. DIAMOND slates are now ground to within +/- .005". DIAMOND will make it right.

Chad Scharlow
812-288-7665

Chopstick
07-21-2005, 11:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cdsracing:</font><hr> I don't know who you spoke with at DIAMOND; however, I would like to personally reconcile the issue. This table was produced before my time (at DIAMOND) and before DIAMOND had a relationship with a high quality slate company. Not knowing exactly how old your table is 15 - 20 yrs., at that time DIAMOND purchased slates from the table manufacturers in the US. DIAMOND slates are now ground to within +/- .005". DIAMOND will make it right.

Chad Scharlow
812-288-7665 <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks. I'll give you a call.