PDA

View Full Version : leaving asap to get new tip help

Cory
07-15-2005, 02:12 PM
im going to get a new tip today.im an experinced player have a good stroke, talisman soft medium hard?dont want to lose my draw skills.using a tiger medium now.never used a talisman.thanks alot cory

caedos
07-15-2005, 03:08 PM
There are many threads you can look up in the CCB archives on tips.

My currant favorites (vanilla, peanutbutter, and napolitano):

Moori Medium (QIII - I think)
Sniper

Not so favorites but plenty good:
Talisman tip line (wears out a bit quicker)
Tiger tip line
Triangle (yes, I still like a one piece tip on a couple of mine at the house)

I have not tried any tips new to the market within the last year or so, and I may not. Most tips on the market do a fine job. What kind of feel, sound, and hittable area on the cueball would you like?

Carl

Cane
07-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Moori III Quicks on my 9-Ball cue
Moori III Mediums on the cue I use for 14.1

I guess it's just personal preference, though. I got along for a long time on Triangles before I was introduced to Moori.

Later,
Bob

Cory
07-15-2005, 06:46 PM
i cant get mooris right now,tiger hercules lepro talisman only.just got back bought talisman med pro,6 dot cue ball,masters chalk.the cue ball is soooooooo cool.i shoot and stare shoot and stare.lets you see spin off balls and rails,love it.id like a solid feel and lots of draw on my tip.going to put my tip on now.

Troy
07-15-2005, 09:09 PM
"Lots of draw" is more a function of your stroke than the tip. You may also learn that the Polka Dot Cue Ball is a bit larger and heavier than other CB's. Enjoy.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cory:</font><hr> i cant get mooris right now,tiger hercules lepro talisman only.just got back bought talisman med pro,6 dot cue ball,masters chalk.the cue ball is soooooooo cool.i shoot and stare shoot and stare.lets you see spin off balls and rails,love it.id like a solid feel and lots of draw on my tip.going to put my tip on now. <hr /></blockquote>

recoveryjones
07-15-2005, 10:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Moori III Quicks on my 9-Ball cue
Moori III Mediums on the cue I use for 14.1

I guess it's just personal preference, though. I got along for a long time on Triangles before I was introduced to Moori.

Later,
Bob <hr /></blockquote>

I'm curious Cane, Why the quicks for nine ball and why the mediums for straight? I know nine ball is more of a power game and straights is basically shorter shots played at one end of the table.

I'm currently using a moori 3 medium for nine ball and was kinda wondering how a Moori quick might benefit me. RJ

Cane
07-16-2005, 06:27 AM
RJ, Well, my reasoning may be wrong, but here it is. Like you said, 9B is more of a power game, and I generally hit the CB a LOT harder than I do in 14.1, 1P or 8B. Again, I may be wrong here, but I feel like I get a better strike on the CB with the hard tips than with the mediums. Generally in the other games, I'm shooting stop shots or natural roll shots 80% of the time, where in 9 ball, I'm using a LOT more inside and outside spin, a lot more power draw, a lot more force follows and I just have more confidence in the hard tips for those kind of shots. Maybe confidence isn't the right word... lets say that I just feel like it's easier for me to apply the extreme spin on the CB with the hard tips. For me, in 9 ball, you generally need to twist the cookie more than you do in other games. 8-Ball, 1P, 14.1 are finesse games, IMO, where you can choose a pattern to get to your link ball without generally having to drastically move the CB. Not so in 9-Ball. There is only one pattern... 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. If I have to spin a ball 4 rails with high inside, then I feel more confident doing it with the hard tip. This comes up in 9B a lot. I think it's rare in the other games to have to move the CB that much, so I'm more secure with the little softer hit of the medium tips for just shooting mostly stop shots, finesse speed shots and slight draw or follow shots.

Of course, I can spin the shine off of the ball with the mediums also, but I don't care for that "snap" hit when I'm playing finesse games, and like it when I'm playing power games.

I'm not sure if my reasoning is right for everyone, but it's right for my mindset on the games, so I just go with what works best for me. The hard tips for power games just seems to be my "recipe".

Hope that makes sense! Although, I'm not really even sure if it makes sense to me! LOL

Want me to throw in another kink? When I play 9Ball I use a 60" cue... For all other games I use a standard length cue. Again, just a personal thing, but in power games, I have more confidence in my play with the long cue.

later,
Bob

recoveryjones
07-16-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks Cane.A guy locally has several Moori tips so I'm going to take a quick on a test drive next tip change. Take care, RJ

Scott Lee
07-16-2005, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> "Lots of draw" is more a function of your stroke than the tip.

Troy<hr /></blockquote>

Thank you Troy! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott