PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter

Fran Crimi
07-15-2005, 06:26 PM
OK, so who's getting the book Saturday besides me?

Fran ~~~ HP fanatic.

9 Ball Girl
07-16-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm going to buy it for my little sister (she's 29) who, along with her 4 year old daughter, is a huge Harry Potter fan. She has every book. I tried reading the first one and although the movies are cute, I just couldn't get into the literature part of it.

Happy reading! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wendy<---more of a Stephen King, Bentley Little, etc. fan...

dg-in-centralpa
07-16-2005, 05:52 AM
My wife and daughter will eventually get it. They've seen all the movies and love'em. I saw the first movie and thought it was more of a kid movie so I never saw any of the others. I didn't try reading the books. Although I've hardly read any books in the past 10 years.

DG

PQQLK9
07-16-2005, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> OK, so who's getting the book Saturday besides me?

Fran ~~~ HP fanatic.

<hr /></blockquote>

My nine yr. old grand daughter Erika who has read then all. She loves them.

ryushen21
07-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Wendy....have you read Stephen King's Dark Tower series. they are excellent.

Fran Crimi
07-16-2005, 08:32 PM
I thought they were just kids books, and after noticing adults reading them, I decided to see what all the hoopla was about so I bought the first book. I couldn't believe it. It's really such great fun. I ran out and bought the next three in a hurry and patiently waited for the fifth and the sixth.

If you get the chance, grab your daughter's copy of the first one and start reading. I bet you won't regret it. The movies aren't even close. They leave out a lot of significant details.

Fran

Rich R.
07-17-2005, 05:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> OK, so who's getting the book Saturday besides me?<hr /></blockquote>
My wife's sister and her family came to the house yesterday. They had to stop along the way for my nephew to pick up his copy of the new HP book.
All day long, he would steal any minute he could, to read the book. He just didn't want to put it down.

BTW, my nephew is 22 years old and getting ready to graduate college in December. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My wife will be reading it next. She has read the rest. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

dg-in-centralpa
07-17-2005, 08:09 AM
I moght do that next week when I go on vacation.

DG

Fran Crimi
07-17-2005, 04:31 PM
I'm not surprised at all to hear that, Rich. Rowling is a literary genius. I think she said it took her 5 years to write the first book. That's because she mapped out all 7 books before she wrote her first line. As a result, her characters are so well-defined that she makes you feel like they're your personal friends, children and adults alike.

It's the classic good vs. evil theme and the backdrop is a world you couldn't possibly thought would ever exist, yet you find youself living in it right with the characters.

Each book represents one year, and you watch both adults and children grow over 7 years while they do battle against the most evil of evils. The kids grow from 11 to 17 and you laugh at the kids as they struggle through puberty and their interactions with the adults. A lot of it is truly funny.

Yet, these aren't your typical children's books in that there's violence and pain and death, and when a character dies, you feel the loss just like you've lost a close friend.

That's good writing.

Fran

Barbara
07-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Well I had mine delivered on Saturday.

Unfortunately I was in Secaucus at the time.

Barbara

Fran Crimi
07-18-2005, 09:52 AM
Congrats on your great finish in Secaucus! Let me know what you think after you read the book. I'm done, eyestrain and all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

9 Ball Girl
07-18-2005, 10:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>I'm done, eyestrain and all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran <hr /></blockquote>Fran, was the book all that you thought it would be? Was it worth the waiting on lines, etc...?

Fran Crimi
07-18-2005, 11:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>
Fran <hr /></blockquote>Fran, was the book all that you thought it would be? Was it worth the waiting on lines, etc...? <hr /></blockquote>

Wait on lines? Not in my neighborhood. People here don't read. I love my neighborhood. I never have to get on a waiting list to take a best seller out of the library, either. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The lines let up after the first day, anyway. There are plenty of copies out there.

Yes, Rowling came through again in a big way. There's a lot going on and it takes at least two, maybe three readings to absorb it all. This is the only series of books I've ever read three times. There are clues that lead from one book to the next and it often helps to go back and reread something in a previous book to help you understand a particular character's actions in the newest book.

It's amazing, because in the thousands of pages written, she does not break consistency one iota. One-liners that you may have thought insignificant in a previous book, suddenly prove to become extremely important in a subsequent book.

I can't imagine what she has to do to maintain consistency like that.

Fran

9 Ball Girl
07-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Wow. And to think that it all started with her writing these stories for her kids. At least that's what I heard. She had no idea that it would become such a big "thing" for both children and adults.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll try to read it one more time--if my sister lets me borrow the first book!

Fran Crimi
07-18-2005, 12:38 PM
I think you should try again. I think all 5 are out in paperback now so they're not expensive. And this is one of those rare cases where I find that it helped having seen the movie before reading the first book, because the characters were so perfectly cast. It's easy to picture them in your mind.

Fran

9 Ball Girl
07-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Well, I'm sold! I'm going to give it another try-being that I saw the movies.

Barbara
07-18-2005, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Congrats on your great finish in Secaucus! Let me know what you think after you read the book. I'm done, eyestrain and all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Fran. You were missed. Hugs! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara

dg-in-centralpa
07-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Barbara,
How did you do?

DG

Fran Crimi
07-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Turns out I could have been there afterall.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Last minute cancelation because my cousin's baby had to have emergency surgery and the last thing they needed was a visit from a relative in the middle of all that. So I decided last minute to postphone the trip until the fall. Just not enough time to get myself over to Secaucus.

The baby is fine though, thanks to a great team of doctors.

Fran

Barbara
07-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Duane,

I came in 4th, one out from winning the Q.

Rats! On winning the Q, trust me.

Barbara

Barbara
07-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Fran,

I hope the baby's doing fine.

I'm sure we'll be back there next year or at least in the immediate area, so plan on it. You know your membership is always in good standing with me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
07-19-2005, 04:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>...The baby is fine though, thanks to a great team of doctors.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

glad to hear little Guido is doing well.

modern medicine amazes me sometimes

Troy
07-19-2005, 11:20 AM
I much prefer J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.
My poker nickname is Gandalf.

Troy