PDA

View Full Version : POSSIBLE VIRUS ALERT

Troy
06-15-2002, 05:43 PM
I just received an e-mail from "PULPLAR1" (???) with two attachments suggesting an update to IE or Netscape that I might enjoy. Nothing was caught by Norton, but I did NOT open the attachments.

Troy...~~~ Just a warning folks

Jay M
06-15-2002, 08:34 PM
I got a copy of the same email with a subject line of "A Windows XP Patch" it's a new version of the Klez virus which is more volatile and dangerous than the others. you don't have to even open the file, just save it to your drive and when you open the directory that contains the file (Which has a .pif extension) and you are infected. Norton detects it, but can not clean it. It's pretty ugly. If you get one of these emails, do NOT even preview it, just get rid of it.

As a general rule, if you aren't expecting an email with an attachment, do NOT open one. If I get an email with an attachment and am not expecting one, I will pick up the phone and call the person or send them an email to verify that they sent it deliberately. Under NO circumstances open an attachment with the extensions .scr, .pif or .exe (.exe may be sent to you if you are involved in application development, but these also seem to be the majority of the virii)

Jay M

Troy
06-15-2002, 10:03 PM
Thanks Jay... While it appeared that "PULPLAR1" was the originator, the header contained the e-mail address of Mike Hurst, Director of the SCWBT. I do NOT put any blame on Mike for the e-mail or the virus 'cuz I realize these things can pick up e-mail addresses.

Troy...~~~ No 'puter person so I wouldn't know what to do if infected.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jay M:</font><hr> I got a copy of the same email with a subject line of "A Windows XP Patch" it's a new version of the Klez virus which is more volatile and dangerous than the others. you don't have to even open the file, just save it to your drive and when you open the directory that contains the file (Which has a .pif extension) and you are infected. Norton detects it, but can not clean it. It's pretty ugly. If you get one of these emails, do NOT even preview it, just get rid of it.

As a general rule, if you aren't expecting an email with an attachment, do NOT open one. If I get an email with an attachment and am not expecting one, I will pick up the phone and call the person or send them an email to verify that they sent it deliberately. Under NO circumstances open an attachment with the extensions .scr, .pif or .exe (.exe may be sent to you if you are involved in application development, but these also seem to be the majority of the virii)

Jay M <hr></blockquote>