PDA

View Full Version : i cant jump tell secrets please

Cory
07-17-2005, 01:38 PM
i have read about 8 books on pool.hepled alot,but cant clearly understand how to jump.where to atrike cue ball.center ball? 45 degs?i dont have a jump cue woud like to start with my playing cue.thanks, cory

John in NH
07-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Hi Cory,

My jumping ability improved 10 fold when I got my jump break cue, equipment does make a difference, my recomendation would be get yourself a jump cue, most of the top brands are more than adequate when it comes to jumping, for some reason some of the pros today are offended when a player takes out a jumb cue, it reminds me of golf when Tom Kite introduced the L wedge, now everyone has one in their bag go figure.

Regards,

John

Billy_Bob
07-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Jump Cue Instructions...
http://www.bunjeebilliards.com/using-a-bunjee-jumper.html

Sid_Vicious
07-17-2005, 04:12 PM
John is right, equipment makes all the difference. I have only one cue I'll trust for a serious jump and the rest are a dismal failure unless the hop is really small. The tip is the most important fact in the mix even in actual jumpers. It needs to be seriously hard. On top of the hard tip, the balance and weight of the long cue is heavily considered in it's air-ability features. A light house cue with a thin tip is best sometimes. The only mechanical advice I'd have is to use a super light grip forward on the forearm area, hike the butt very close to your armpit in elevation, tip-toe if need be and POP the vertical line of the resting point of the CB on the slate, AND STAY MOTIONLESS. Follow through is wrong IMO for a jump, long or JC equipment. I'd buy me a 50+ dollar JC and forget about the long cue...sid

Cory
07-17-2005, 05:08 PM
thanks soooooooooooo much loose grip is the key.you guy n girls are great .thanks ,cory

stickman
07-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Like Sid, I think the tip is very important. Even though I see some that jump adequately with an ordinary playing cue, it is much easier with an actual jump stick. I recommend a phenolic tip, and am partial to to the Raven jump tips. The biggest fault I see in new jumpers is too firm a grip. It requires a light grip. A light grip allows the cue to rebound off the cueball so the cueball doesn't become trapped between the slate and the tip of the cue. A light jumper also aids, for the same reason. I echo Sid's advice about staying motionless. Just as any shot, no jerking, popping up, ect. That is the primary cause for mis-hitting the cueball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dr_dave
07-17-2005, 06:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cory:</font><hr> i have read about 8 books on pool.hepled alot,but cant clearly understand how to jump.where to atrike cue ball.center ball? 45 degs?i dont have a jump cue woud like to start with my playing cue.thanks, cory <hr /></blockquote>
There is some great advice in this thread. Also, FYI, more advice can be found in a different thread (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=200423&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=).

Regards,
Dave

Snyder1
07-18-2005, 06:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cory:</font><hr> i have read about 8 books on pool.hepled alot,but cant clearly understand how to jump.where to atrike cue ball.center ball? 45 degs?i dont have a jump cue woud like to start with my playing cue.thanks, cory <hr /></blockquote>

Like you, I could NOT get the ball off the table with my playing cue. I bought a jump cue &amp; voila !! Its so easy you won't believe it with a jump cue. Do yourself a favor &amp; buy a jump cue - its in the physics of short cue/light weight/phenolic tip &amp; makes jumping so much easier ...

JS

cheesemouse
07-18-2005, 07:18 AM
Cory,

Staying on the question you asked, a good way to start learning how to loft the cb with your playing stick is to set up ob's with NOT enough room between then for the cb to pass thru without contacting one or the other...now place the cb some short distance from these ob's, slightly jack up your stroke, and using a normal follow thru jump the gap...you have to start somewhere and learning how to jump gaps and edges is as good a starting point as any. Once you understand this simple concept you will be setup to learn more on your own and from others.......hope this helps...

Sid_Vicious
07-18-2005, 08:40 AM
You can also lay a cue across the short length with the tip underneath one of the long rails, hop the lowest point, and move up in graduations of height. It is less intimidating IMO...sid

wolfdancer
07-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Loose grips, loose change, loose women...who could ask for anything more????
The best tip I had for jumping a ball...is to imagine an equator, or center line on the O.B....relative to the angle
you are using to hit the O.B.
now just hit slightly below that equator, and using the light grip, open bridge, snap stroke, etc...you can even jump with a light..say 17 oz, one piece cue.
We got players up here use their jump cues so much...they forgot how to kick at a ball....and their foul % is about the same.

ceebee
07-19-2005, 04:39 AM
In reality, every shot can't be a simple JUMP. The Jump Shot is thought to be a series of bounces, the 2nd one being half of the 1st, the third being half of the 2nd &amp; so on. Taking this into mind, there are some jump shots where the second bounce is on top of the object ball or off the table.

This scenario is reason enough to keep up one's skills, for kicking at balls.

Cory
07-19-2005, 10:22 PM
thank you all for your help and time. cory

Gayle in MD
07-22-2005, 08:40 AM
Hey Corey,
Robin Dodson goes to a lot of expos and such, and gives free jumping lessons with the FROG jump cue. She had me jumping the ball on my second attempt in Valley Forge. She's a great instructor, and as nice as she can be. One guy couldn't get it, and she kept him there till he did. It seemed like the follow through was the part that most people couldn't get.

Gayle in Md.

Sid_Vicious
07-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Thought I'd express something about the frog JC. I bought one of these a few yeas ago, and it was without doubt the worst formal jump cue I've ever owned. Spiderman was offered that cue for $25, bought it and is happy with it, but in my most sincere opinion, the Bungee, Lucasi and most any other Bungee style knock-off JC simply puts the Frog back on the bottom of the pond. I'll never miss that cue nor the loss I took on it..sid

Bob_Jewett
07-22-2005, 10:30 AM
See question/answer number 3 at:

http://www.sfbilliards.com/faq.html

You don't need a jump cue for a lot of jump shots, but it makes things infinitely easier on the tougher jumps. Personally, I think jump sticks should be banned.

Sid_Vicious
07-22-2005, 10:34 AM
That's one thing most jumpers do wrong, try to hit it too hard and cause the big bounces. I was told very plainly once by a local A++(maybe+++) that I didn't need to hit it near as hard, and it made a world of difference. It was, and still is a flaw which creeps into my jumps, but when you learn to take the adrenalin off of the pop and let the stroke do the work, your jumps are far more controlled, and EASIER. sid

Cane
07-22-2005, 10:48 AM
I agree with Sid on this. Hit it too hard and either it's going to skid across the table or fly off the other end. Smooth stroke, proper elevation, loose grip and a good finish... hey, sounds just like your normal stroke, doesn't it... that's because it is!

Everyone can jump, whether they know it or not. I had a student that said she couldn't even get the ball off the table at all, so I set up a shot where she had to draw the ball, but the CB was fairly close to the rail, so she had to elevate a little, with her normal cue. I video taped the shot and lo and behold, with the elevated cue and a 5 speed stroke, she jumped the ball about one balls height on it's way to the OB... the OB was airborne about half as much on it's apex on the way to the pocket. I showed her the tape in slow motion and told her "that's your jump stroke". She jumps proficiently now, especially with partial blockers on long shots. She was amazed that not only could she jump the CB, but that she jumped the OB that much with just slight elevation (probably about 30 or less). Now she will go after jumping a partially blocked object ball to the pocket with confidence.
It's all just the same fundamentals as your normal stroke. The only difference is your elevation and, initially, hitting through the core center of the CB. As experience is gained, you'll be able to jump draw, jump with follow, jump with masse, etc.

Later,
Bob

ceebee
07-22-2005, 03:49 PM
Practicing this jump shot (cue ball at center diamond of the rail - a few inches away from the rail - Object ball 4-6 inches out of the pocket - Barrier ball 5 inches away from cue Ball.) on a 9 foot Pool Table will give you some good practice &amp; some confidence.

It ain't easy, but it is easy with the correct STROKE. Good Luck in your practice.

stickman
07-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Sid, My favorite was a home-made jumper. It was a sneaky pete, with a fat tapered shaft. I installed an Ivor-X ferrule with a white raven jump tip. I turned a legal length handle to fit the shaft. I used it for breaking with the original butt and jumping with my turned jump handle. I sold it in a weak moment and regret it every since. It was the best jumper I ever played with. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Cane
07-23-2005, 12:04 AM
Stickman, I had a jump cue something like that. It was an old sneaky pete that was cracked on the butt end. I cut it off to 40", center drilled it, put the bumper back on, put a buffalo horn ferrule on it, a triangle tip on it that I'd soaked in cyanoacrylic then pressed wet and let cure and it jumped like crazy. A good friend of mine kept offering me more and more money for it until one day he offered just a little too much! He was over tonight, and he still uses the cue... matter of fact, he got plenty of practice jumping with it tonight! LOL

Bob

Ralph S.
07-23-2005, 01:50 PM
Sid, I too owned a frog jump cue. It was given to me free by a local gaming store owner. I have said it all along since i first tried using it. The are the worst jump cue on the market, in my opinion. I gave mine away to someone that didn't have a jump cue. I personally had problems with the construction and poor quality along with some playability issues.

Keep in mind, I have nothing against Robin Dodson. I just dont think the cue is all its croaked up to be. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif