PDA

View Full Version : Ballbreakers First Episode

Cane
07-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Well, I guess a lot of you watched it to. I'm sitting here at my keyboard with mixed feelings.

Con: It seems they chose the players more on personality than ability.
Pro: The show will probably appeal to the average Joe Poolplayer.

Con: The rules and format were a bit "out there"
Pro: Out there or not, it did make it fast paced and interesting.

Con: I didn't enjoy it.
Pro: Within 15 minutes of it's end, I got two phone calls from locals who thought it was the best game show they'd ever seen, so that again, confirms that it might appeal to the general poolplaying public.

Well, if nothing else, it's TV TIME FOR POOL! Maybe if a show like this enjoys success, it will get more people out playing which will help keep our precious pool rooms on their feet. Of course, out of every 100 that get out there and play, there are going to be one or two that take the game seriously and that's good for the game.

I hope the show goes over well, because I do think it will be perceived well by the average player. I really wish they had gone for a higher level group of players, but then again, if they had, then only a few of us would really enjoy watching it. What wee need are for the masses to watch pool on TV, even if it's C & D players in a Game Show format getting ball in hand when their opponent misses and STILL can't get a 4 ball out! LOL Sorry, had to throw that in there.

Other thoughts?

Later,
Bob

9 Ball Girl
07-18-2005, 09:38 PM
First, Ceebee is going to kill me 'cause I forgot to tape it for him! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

These are just ramblings as I don't have any particular order to state things:

At least these characters played better than the ones from that other Jeanette Lee hosted celebrity matchup show.

Lagging off the side rail? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Giving the shot back after your opponent leaves you bad? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

For the finals, ball in hand everytime there was a miss?

I wished I could've seen the Hooters girl shoot some.

I've come to the conclusion that this show is not for us (pool players. This show is meant for them (bangers, recreational, etc.) But, having said that, it's something to watch at 10 PM on Monday nights. Let's see how long this'll last.

Oh, one more thing, the woofing, the gambling, yada yada yada, it fits so well into the perception of our sport. /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Rich R.
07-19-2005, 03:26 AM
It wasn't great pool, but, at least they could play, unlike the last attempt at a pool game show.

It was a little bit entertaining, but I wish they would tone down all the yelling and taunting. However, that may be what attracts the general public.

dg-in-centralpa
07-19-2005, 04:56 AM
As I watched the show, I'm trying to figure out what Ewa is supposed to do. She looked somewhat uncomfortable sitting there not knowing when to talk. Is she that hard up for money to do a show like this? Why not get someone who can egg on the contestants, maybe Keith M.? His personality would fit this much better. Oh well... we'll see what next week brings.

DG

Brian in VA
07-19-2005, 04:58 AM
I found it interesting, in a car-crash-I-can't-turn-my-head sort of way. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have to describe it more as a game show that is based on the game of pool. The out there rules were designed to speed things along and make it a shooters / bangers game which would appeal more to the casual player. (Almost as if the producers were simulating the show and said, "we need to spice this up. How can we change it without alienating pool players?"

Perhaps the most telling comment came from my wife, who is not a pool player but supports my habit. She found it quite entertaining. "Wow, that was wild!"

I think the woofing and side betting made it interesting, adding to the "game show" format. The set looked like a game show.

Entertaining? I think so. I'll continue to watch it.

Good for the game? Time will tell. The jury is still out for me on this one.

Would I like to play in it? Absolutely!

Brian in VA

Rich R.
07-19-2005, 06:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> As I watched the show, I'm trying to figure out what Ewa is supposed to do. <hr /></blockquote>
I think Ewa was suppose to look good.
She succeeded. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve Lipsky
07-19-2005, 07:58 AM
I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the level of play. When they were doing the auditions at ABC, we kinda got the impression they wouldn't even consider someone who could run a rack (however badly).

So I must say I was shocked when they all demonstrated the ability to sort of play. Although that last rack included some of the worst decision-making this pool player has ever seen, lol.

- Steve

Fred Agnir
07-19-2005, 08:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the level of play. When they were doing the auditions at ABC, we kinda got the impression they wouldn't even consider someone who could run a rack (however badly).

So I must say I was shocked when they all demonstrated the ability to sort of play. Although that last rack included some of the worst decision-making this pool player has ever seen, lol.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>Ditto, Steve. They hit some surprisingly good shots, better than I would have expected out of over half our league members. And, they were in front of the cameras woofing it up.

That being said, I couldn't stomach more than a few racks before I had to flip.

Fred

houseman
07-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Personally, I liked the show for what it was, entertainment. It is there for people that have fun playing pool and talking stuff. I see the same kind of play every day in my pool room.
Who ever thought there would be d.j`s or bands in pool rooms ??? Entertainment equals money.
Us small rooms that want to stay pool rooms can hardly keep the doors open. Hoping this will make people come to the rooms again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric.
07-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Post deleted by Eric.

9 Ball Girl
07-19-2005, 12:39 PM
So what is it that the show is looking for when they venture out for new prospects?

Bob
07-19-2005, 12:45 PM
I thought the show was terrible and gave a horrible representation of pool players in general .

Eric.
07-19-2005, 12:48 PM
I haven't the foggiest. From what I heard and saw, they aren't necessarily looking for "good" players.

Eric

catscradle
07-19-2005, 12:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Well, I guess a lot of you watched it to. I'm sitting here at my keyboard with mixed feelings.

Con: It seems they chose the players more on personality than ability.
Pro: The show will probably appeal to the average Joe Poolplayer.

Con: The rules and format were a bit "out there"
Pro: Out there or not, it did make it fast paced and interesting.

Con: I didn't enjoy it.
Pro: Within 15 minutes of it's end, I got two phone calls from locals who thought it was the best game show they'd ever seen, so that again, confirms that it might appeal to the general poolplaying public.

Well, if nothing else, it's TV TIME FOR POOL! Maybe if a show like this enjoys success, it will get more people out playing which will help keep our precious pool rooms on their feet. Of course, out of every 100 that get out there and play, there are going to be one or two that take the game seriously and that's good for the game.

I hope the show goes over well, because I do think it will be perceived well by the average player. I really wish they had gone for a higher level group of players, but then again, if they had, then only a few of us would really enjoy watching it. What wee need are for the masses to watch pool on TV, even if it's C &amp; D players in a Game Show format getting ball in hand when their opponent misses and STILL can't get a 4 ball out! LOL Sorry, had to throw that in there.

Other thoughts?

Later,
Bob <hr /></blockquote>

BIG CON: Adelphia doesn't carry Game Show Network. Hopefully, the show will last until comcast takes over.

9 Ball Girl
07-19-2005, 12:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob:</font><hr> I thought the show was terrible and gave a horrible representation of pool players in general . <hr /></blockquote>For us as pool players, I agree with you. But for your regular TV viewing audience out there, this just looks like your stereotypical pool player--the money, the gambling, the woofing, etc.

Brian in VA
07-19-2005, 01:23 PM
I'm not so sure about the show being a horrible representation of pool players, Bob. Mention was made of the fact that the cowboy who won is a single dad and wanted to use the money for his daughter's college education. His opponent in the final spent a little time raving about how much fun her grandchildren are (and she had some game, too, I thought) so at least there was some human interest in the show and it seemed very genuine. If they played some of that up, I think it would add to the "joe lunchbucket" appeal of the show. Just my 2 cents, I could be wrong.

Brian in VA

dg-in-centralpa
07-19-2005, 02:32 PM
You're right Rich, she did succeed. Wish I could do that, but with my looks...lol

DG

sack316
07-19-2005, 02:41 PM
I'm so mixed about it too, as a pool player I was actually almost offended in a way, but as a spectator I must admit I even missed most of Raw to watch it, just because I couldn't turn away (don't know if that was for good reasons or bad). All I know is my girlfriend is learning the game and is at best an APA SL 3 right now said, "Damn Johnny, you could beat these people... wait a minute, I know I'm not very good and I could beat her and her" and I thought about it, she was right. It did have a good sense of excitement and urgency to it. I like the side bet part, and the options presented to the person controlling the table.
On a side note, the lady that came in second, wasn't that Stuart's Mom on Mad TV? If ya don't know what I'm talking about, watch Mad TV reruns on Comedy Central... then you can at least enjoy that part of the show if nothing else /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
07-19-2005, 05:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr>If ya don't know what I'm talking about, watch Mad TV reruns on Comedy Central... then you can at least enjoy that part of the show if nothing else /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>I don't know about that but I do know that her name was Barbara and the broad's a professional tap dancer.

Rich R.
07-19-2005, 06:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> You're right Rich, she did succeed. Wish I could do that, but with my looks...lol

DG <hr /></blockquote>Duane, we're both in the same boat. We don't stand a chance. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rich R.
07-19-2005, 06:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I don't know about that but I do know that her name was Barbara and the broad's a professional tap dancer. <hr /></blockquote>
9BG, your partially correct. Although she was a professional tap dancer, at one time, when they introduced her, they said she was the owner of a software company.

bicuda
07-19-2005, 11:09 PM
Hi, this is the "Bitchacuda" Barb Lee from the premier episode. Regarding the comment on "decision play" FYI: you don't have very much time to shoot - you are on a 15 second shot clock under extreme pressure. I challenge anyone who can shoot well in a regular hall to try it under lights/cameras up your nose/20 grand on the line/cloth that ran like lightening under the intense lights/and a tight shot clock. I did the show mostly to have fun which is certainly what I did! I am happy I got as far as I did, but to tell the truth, "cowboy" got me with his college fund for the kid. I couldn't get that out of my way, but hey, no excuses - it WAS the wrong decision on the 7 ball. You should audition for next season! Best, the "Bitchadua"!

pooltchr
07-20-2005, 04:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> I must admit I even missed most of Raw to watch it, <hr /></blockquote>

No offense intended here, but this statement pretty much sums up what I expect is the target audience for the show.

sack316
07-20-2005, 12:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> I must admit I even missed most of Raw to watch it, <hr /></blockquote>

No offense intended here, but this statement pretty much sums up what I expect is the target audience for the show. <hr /></blockquote>

no offense taken, I know folks like me are a big part of what every network wants tuning in.and Of course your comment wouldn't be offensive, Raw is the highest rated cable show at that time, we're the majority! (lol)

catscradle
07-21-2005, 04:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> I must admit I even missed most of Raw to watch it, <hr /></blockquote>

No offense intended here, but this statement pretty much sums up what I expect is the target audience for the show. <hr /></blockquote>

no offense taken, I know folks like me are a big part of what every network wants tuning in.and Of course your comment wouldn't be offensive, Raw is the highest rated cable show at that time, we're the majority! (lol) <hr /></blockquote>

So I can follow this little conversation. What is "Raw"?

Wally_in_Cincy
07-21-2005, 04:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>So I can follow this little conversation. What is "Raw"?
<hr /></blockquote>

pro rasslin'

Wally &lt;~~ once saw hulk hogan body slam andre the giant in person