PDA

View Full Version : Hillary Clinton Draws Applause From Hispanics

PQQLK9
07-19-2005, 01:04 PM
Hillary Clinton Draws Applause From Hispanics

By Darryl Fears

Tuesday, July 19, 2005; Page A05

Speaking on the grandest stage of the nation's largest Hispanic civil rights organization yesterday in Philadelphia, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) made no mention of presidential ambitions, but many said her message and delivery had the aura of a campaign speech.

Clinton touched on nearly every issue that was important to Hispanics, the nation's largest ethnic group and a crucial voting bloc. She said she wanted to make sure Hispanic children got a fair education, and that families had medical insurance to ward off health problems such as asthma and lead poisoning that affect kids. She also talked of supporting legislation that would make it easier for immigrants to send money back home, which Hispanics do at a rate of about $200 per month.

Politics Trivia
Of the following presidents, who held the most state dinners? (see answer below)
Ronald Reagan
George H.W. Bush
Bill Clinton
George W. Bush

"You are doing your part to make sure that every child has a special place in the American dream," she said at the National Council of La Raza convention. "But I don't know if your government is doing its part right now to make your job easier."

A thunderous ovation followed, the first of many rounds of applause.

"To me it sounded like a campaign speech," said Nellie Moreno of Phoenix, who said she was surprised that Clinton did not talk about immigration, temporary-worker programs and the border with Mexico. "I was hoping to hear something," she said. America Jones of El Paso said she heard what she wanted. "I hope that she will run, whether it sounded like a campaign speech or not," she said.

Clinton's remarks followed those of Education Secretary Margaret Spellings, who also pitched to Hispanic parents, doing her part in the tug of war between the Republican and Democratic parties for Hispanic hearts and minds.

Spellings drew a spattering of applause that sounded like drizzle compared with Clinton's downpour. Last year, about 60 percent of Hispanic votes were for Democrats.

Of the following presidents, who held the most state dinners?
Ronald Reagan Correct Answer
George H.W. Bush
Bill Clinton
George W. Bush
During his eight years in office, Reagan held more than 50 state dinners, compared to Clinton's 30 dinners in two terms. After last night's dinner, George W. Bush will have hosted five and George H.W. Bush held 20 during his four years as president. Clinton, however, held the largest official state dinner in White House history when he hosted more than 700 guests in September 2000 web page (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/18/AR2005071801530.html)

TomBrooklyn
08-10-2005, 02:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> She said she wanted to make sure Hispanic children got a fair education <hr /></blockquote>
What does that mean? Are Hispanic kids getting unfairly treated in school??? I'm Hispanic and I got treated the same as everyone else in the schools I went to. I got treated better than most in fact. Dang Government gave me a practically free college education. They were even paying me to go to school for a while.

Cueless Joey
08-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Way to milk them.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Why are Hispanics any different?
Is she going to go to some Asian civil rights group and promise their kids "fair education"?
How about this? Is this fair? A teacher told me, her turnover ratio goes up after Christmas. Apparently some kids go to Mexico for Christmas and come back months later.
Because of the no kids left behind program, they advance to the next grade the year after. She even gets students who do not speak English in her class. Now, how is she supposed to teach Office 2003/2003 to someone who does not speak English? Guess what, she goes to the principal and complain about it. She can't kick them out. She has to partner them with other bilingual kids.
People whine about how "bad" education is in this country.
I'm an immigrant.
Give me a freakin' break.
In HIGH SCHOOLS here, we teach Autocad, MasterCam, DreamWeaver, Softimage, Maya, Office 2003, Windows networking, woodworking and automotive technogy.
If these kids didn't take these FREE classes for granted, they'd way way way ahead

TomBrooklyn
08-11-2005, 09:15 AM
I get a kick out of young people who don't take advantage of the free education provided by the Government for grades 1-12. (and even college in some cases) Some may not pay attention, screw around, cut classes and ultimately drop out.

Then when they are young adults, they complain they have trouble finding a good job and they cry out ..."We're not qualified for anything -- we have no training!!" Yuk yuk, thats a good one.

Politicians like Hillary Clinton pretend this doesn't go on and just make promises for additional funding to get themselves reelected. People like her pretend they are interested in the public good, when in fact they are mostly interested in keeping themselves in a cushy job well paid job with a lot of clout. Bleh.

pooltchr
08-11-2005, 09:39 AM
Does it matter whether or not they are here legally?
If they are here legally, they should have every benefit every other child has.
If not, they shouldn't be here at all, much less taking advantage of the "free" (Paid for by you and me) education and medical care.
Steve