PDA

View Full Version : brunswick cenntenials vs super aramith pro

vinnie717
07-19-2005, 01:38 PM
What are if any diffrences between these two sets of balls and are they worth 180$$ a set?

thank you
vince

BigRigTom
07-19-2005, 04:07 PM
The Brunswick Centennials are being used on ESPN and the Super Aramiths have been around for a long time. They are both great and high quality. Unless you are planning to run some kind of controlled test....I would venture to say you won't be able to tell the difference. They are slightly different in appearance and that is strickly a matter of personal preference if you like one more than the other get it. For home use they are both rather pricey but if you want the best you pay the price. It would be hard to find fault with either set.

I know that is probably not what you want to hear but it is in my opinion the truth.

Barbara
07-19-2005, 04:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> The Brunswick Centennials are being used on ESPN and the Super Aramiths have been around for a long time. They are both great and high quality. Unless you are planning to run some kind of controlled test....I would venture to say you won't be able to tell the difference. They are slightly different in appearance and that is strickly a matter of personal preference if you like one more than the other get it. For home use they are both rather pricey but if you want the best you pay the price. It would be hard to find fault with either set.

I know that is probably not what you want to hear but it is in my opinion the truth.
<hr /></blockquote>

Ditto!

Barbara~~~spent last weekend sorting out sets between the two and then some...

Cane
07-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Yes, they are worth the money, and from what one of my vendors says, they are both made by Saluc, so same balls, basically, just a bit of a different look. You will not be disappointed with either set.

Later,
Bob

Cory
07-19-2005, 11:15 PM
imo i would choose the aramith pros. #1 you get the six dotted cue ball which is great for watching your spin off balls and rails and #2 they were the balls used in the world masters tournament '04 the only bad thing about them is the pink four <font color="pink"> </font color>

The_Teach
07-20-2005, 01:09 AM
I love the Aramiths, although have not played with the centennials as they are even more pricey over here!!!

The stragest thing is that I can buy Aramith cheaper in the states than in Europe when they have been made here!

JimS
07-20-2005, 04:06 AM
Fred has the definitive word about this subject.

Imo you'll notice no playing differnce and there is no differnce in quality so it just comes down to which one looks better to you.

I like the Centennials. I just like the appearance.

Fred Agnir
07-20-2005, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote vinnie717:</font><hr> What are if any diffrences between these two sets of balls and are they worth 180$$ a set?

thank you
vince <hr /></blockquote>The differences are in the details.

Saluc of Belgium (http://www.saluc.com/html/home.htm) contract manufacturers both of them. Super Aramith Pro is one of Saluc's brands. The Centennials are manufactured for Brunswick. The Centennials have more detail, therefore they cost more for the added processes.

They are both made from the same resins, and are manufactured to about the same tolerances. However, whatever the tolerances are, there is no guarantee that they are exactly the same as Brunswick would determine the tolerances of the Centennials, while Aramith/Saluc would determine the tolerances for Super Aramith Pros.

IMO, the cost is worth it. These are the two of the premier sets of balls available along with maybe one other (a German name that escapes me at the moment).

I bought my Super Aramith Pro set from http://www.billiardsexpress.com

Fred

JPB
07-20-2005, 09:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cory:</font><hr> imo i would choose the aramith pros. #1 you get the six dotted cue ball which is great for watching your spin off balls and rails and #2 they were the balls used in the world masters tournament '04 the only bad thing about them is the pink four <font color="pink"> </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Why do you like the TV set? I am so much less likely to buy the measles ball and wrong color set.... Not trying to be a jackass, I am asking. I wouldn't have the TV set on my table. I have centennials and would have the regular best aramiths with proper cue ball and proper colors.

Bob_Jewett
07-20-2005, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote vinnie717:</font><hr> What are if any diffrences between these two sets of balls and are they worth 180$$ a set?... <hr /></blockquote>
I think it depends on which table you're going to use them on. I learned how to play on a "Sears special" with particle-board bed and rolls that would baffle Tiger Woods. It would have been pointless to spend the extra money -- the experience would not have improved much.

On a slate table with good cloth, you should get Aramith (SALUC) cast phenolic balls. At the extreme low end of their line is a set has the numbers stencilled on, and I'd avoid that, but I think you'll find any of their "numbers cast in" sets to be nearly identical for most play. When your game improves to the point that a significant fraction of your misses are due to equipment malfunctions, then you may want to look into getting a higher-end set.

If you do get a higher-end set, you should put in extra effort to take care of them. Your playing area should be carpeted. You should get the special ball cleaner that Aramith sells. You should check for exposed hardware (bolts, tacks, nails, staples) in the pockets that can nick balls.

Rod
07-20-2005, 10:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JPB:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cory:</font><hr> imo i would choose the aramith pros. #1 you get the six dotted cue ball which is great for watching your spin off balls and rails and #2 they were the balls used in the world masters tournament '04 the only bad thing about them is the pink four <font color="pink"> </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Why do you like the TV set? I am so much less likely to buy the measles ball and wrong color set.... Not trying to be a jackass, I am asking. I wouldn't have the TV set on my table. I have centennials and would have the regular best aramiths with proper cue ball and proper colors. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm the same way however I use Arimath Pro. Got a deal I couldn't pass up. About the spinning off the rail etc. I know how/direction the c/b is spinning because I hit it there. LOL It amazes me the buzz people get seeing the direction the c/b spins. It always did, you just don't have the special effects. Which I prefer.

Rod

NickyD
07-20-2005, 05:37 PM
I just went to the billiardsexpress.com website and the Super Pro Aramith set is $167.50 with the Centennials at $162.50 !!! Something about a Holiday sale, first time I have seen the Brunswick set for less!! Could this be right?

BTW, my first post after lurking awhile, very informative site, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Nightstalker
07-20-2005, 05:50 PM
I prefer the look of the Centennials to the Super Pros. I dislike the coloring of the TV set, but think the measels cue ball is alright.

cheese_ball
07-21-2005, 07:41 AM
Cane-
You are correct... these two sets of balls are IDENTICAL in weight, size, tolerance, material and play. The only difference is the extra $100.00 you'd be paying Brunswick!!! These are the same set of balls with a "make-over."

Cane
07-21-2005, 07:47 AM
Cheese, yeah, but the Brunswick balls ARE pretty! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Personally, I use the Aramith Pro balls. Like you said, same balls, less money.

later,
Bob