PDA

View Full Version : Signal Booster

Rod
07-20-2005, 12:09 AM
I'm getting poor recption on local tv channels, 5, 10, 12 etc. However channels like espn or 25 and above seem very clear, not perfect but good.

I want the local channels to come in clear. I read this on the motorola site.

I have a good quality picture on the highest channels and poor quality on the lower channels.
This could indicate a poor fitting connection and removing and reconnecting cable connections is recommended.

I've already done this to no avail. Think an amplifier would help? BTW don't say call the cable company. We have free cable here and if I get them involved in may cost me.

Rod

Rich R.
07-20-2005, 02:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> This could indicate a poor fitting connection and removing and reconnecting cable connections is recommended.<hr /></blockquote>
Rod, did you use a "contact cleaner" to clean those connections, before reconnecting?
Just a thought. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chopstick
07-20-2005, 04:31 AM
I once asked Spiderman about these amplifiers. The way he explained it to me is if the poor signal quality is the result of interference then an amplifier does not help since it will amplifier will amplify the interfering signal as well.

Spidey can explain it better than me. I have tried some of the cheap ones before. They didn't work.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-20-2005, 04:42 AM
It's quite simple Rod. Your outside cable melted earlier this week. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
07-20-2005, 05:07 AM
You sure it ain't in your channel tuner? An amp won't help if it is(IMO). If you are on conventional cable, your filter for that band mey be flaking out. sid

SpiderMan
07-20-2005, 05:12 AM
Your description implies that you receive the VHF channels (2-13) poorly, and the UHF channels well. Is that the case, or is there a gradual degradation as you go up?

My first suspect would be the receiver itself. Did you try a different TV at the same connection?

If this checks out OK, then my next suspect would be a defect causing an effective highpass filtering effect in line with your cable. This could be a faulty connection, or a defective DC block in line with the cable. The DC block/filter is typically a small cylindrical item with type-F connectors on each end.

Another possibility is that you may have a bad component such as a signal splitter that is loading the line more at low frequencies. You can try removing all extraneous components, and connecting only one receiver to the basic incoming cable. If this works well, then I'd consider using a distribution amplifier to split the signal to multiple sets.

SpiderMan

Cueless Joey
07-20-2005, 07:58 AM
I don't know how a signal amplifier can help your setup.
You are receiving cable signal, not vhf or uhf off the air.
I'd switch to DirecTv if possible. DirecTv with super VHS hookup is da nuts.

Rod
07-20-2005, 08:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Your description implies that you receive the VHF channels (2-13) poorly, and the UHF channels well. Is that the case, or is there a gradual degradation as you go up?

What are UHF channels? In the range of say channel 18, I recieve it poorly. The upper channels like 33,43,55,etc, are good but I detect some grainy lines and there not as sharp as they could be.

My first suspect would be the receiver itself. Did you try a different TV at the same connection?

I'm direct, no cable box. The TV,VCR,Amp are all new. The picture wasn't any better with old components, I just upgraded for better features.

If this checks out OK, then my next suspect would be a defect causing an effective highpass filtering effect in line with your cable. This could be a faulty connection, or a defective DC block in line with the cable. The DC block/filter is typically a small cylindrical item with type-F connectors on each end.

I don't have a clyindrical item. I run direct into the cable outlet. There was at one time long cylinders but they limited what channels you could view and even then interception wasn't all that great. I was told if you can plug in and get cable, then you can have it. My neighbor who plugs in right beside me says his interception is clear as a bell. I haven't seen any clear bells but I'll take his word for it. I'm beginning to think this guys eyes aren't that clear. Or his aming method is faulty. LOL

Another possibility is that you may have a bad component such as a signal splitter that is loading the line more at low frequencies. You can try removing all extraneous components, and connecting only one receiver to the basic incoming cable. If this works well, then I'd consider using a distribution amplifier to split the signal to multiple sets.

I don't know what a distribution amplifier actually does but I'll try a google. I have been trying to learn more but google keeps sending me in the direction of broadband internet. Even though I have typed in cable TV in many cases. It's hunt and choose and I'm not going anywhere.

I read about the motorola signal booster which had very good reviews. I see there on ebay for under thirty bucks.

Rod

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Rod
07-20-2005, 08:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> It's quite simple Rod. Your outside cable melted earlier this week. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Always helpful Wally. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Actually I melted earlier in the week.

Rod
07-20-2005, 08:58 AM
Rich, they are clean. I even replaced the new cable ends just in case. I've tried three different outside cable outlets total. It's weird, they all are a little different. I hooked back in to my regular outlet, got a poor picture across the whole scale. I turned off the TV, then after 4 hours turned it back on. At that time most upper channels were back to normal, a pretty good picture. Beats me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rod