PDA

View Full Version : You gotta see this

Tom_In_Cincy
06-15-2002, 09:54 PM
Instructors.. this is a must?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.wired.com/news/gizmos/0,1452,52990,00.html>http://www.wired.com/news/gizmos/0,1452,52990,00.html</a>

06-15-2002, 10:10 PM
I didn't even know there were things like Harley Davidson bars and the United States Poolplayers Association! And who the hell would wear a $3,000 system in a bar anyway? ( The computer had to cost at least $2,000 of this, doesn't speak volumes for the programming, does it?) /ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif

06-15-2002, 10:32 PM
Please do NOT confuse their "United States Poolplayers Association" (USPA) with the REAL "United States Pool Players Association" (USPPA).

The USPPA has been in existense for many years as a pool handicapping organization and is the primary force behind the Reno/Sands Open each June and December. www.usppa.com (http://www.usppa.com)

Troy

Troy
06-15-2002, 10:39 PM
Ooops. Posted with a different browser and didn't log in.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Please do NOT confuse their "United States Poolplayers Association" (USPA) with the REAL "United States Pool Players Association" (USPPA).

The USPPA has been in existense for many years as a pool handicapping organization and is the primary force behind the Reno/Sands Open each June and December. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.usppa.com>www.usppa.com</a>

Troy <hr></blockquote>

Patrick
06-15-2002, 11:28 PM
Virtual Pool 3 is 100 times cheaper, with a perfect stroke.
You will need a good stroke for that helmet, it doesn't matter how good aim the helmet has, you will not make every ball without a perfect stroke.

Patrick

06-16-2002, 07:51 AM
Troy, I think it would take a real idiot to not figure out that the org. quoted was purely fictional. But then, somebody buys all this stuff, right? LOL

PQQLK9
06-16-2002, 09:13 AM
&lt;Another drawback is the system can't calculate where the white ball will end up, and so can't think ahead&gt;.

and neither can I

Troy
06-16-2002, 09:53 AM
You might be correct Lorri, but the "fictional" org has a website.

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr> Troy, I think it would take a real idiot to not figure out that the org. quoted was purely fictional. But then, somebody buys all this stuff, right? LOL <hr></blockquote>

Scott Lee
06-16-2002, 10:00 AM
Personally, I thought it looked very interesting. It seems to have a lot of potential as a learning tool, because you are using your own cuestick, and playing on a real table...unlike VP3, which has no reference in the real game.
Once you have the fundamentals and mechanical skills ironed out, it seems like you might be able to utilize this program pretty effectively, for some quick, short-term results. I'd love to try it out sometime myself!

Scott Lee

Patrick
06-16-2002, 12:07 PM
Speed control is the most important part in pool, it is also the hardest part to master.
Aim is the easiest to learn, if you shoot with a different speed, then you need to aim differently.
That helmet would be most effective on centre ball shots, it doesn't calculate deflection and throw if you use spin, this helmet could work on beginners with a good stroke, but advanced players don't benefit from it.
When you reach a high skill level in pool, speed control is all that matters, this is why Virtual pool 3 is so good, the only reason why I play it is to get better speed control, you can reach a higher level in speed control with Virtual pool 3 than what is possible on a real pool table.

Patrick

PQQLK9
06-16-2002, 12:56 PM
Good thoughts Patrick....I'm still using VP2...used to shoot everything too hard (on real tables) but found out that "speed kills"....

TonyM
06-17-2002, 12:37 AM
That's very interesting! Thanks!

Oh and by the way, The Science Fiction show that was the inspiration for the idea was "Quantum Leap" with Scott Bakula. It was an episode where he played an old black pool player.

Tony

06-17-2002, 04:00 PM
funny

06-17-2002, 04:04 PM
Get right outta town!! Guess you learn something new every day, don't you? I stand corrected, Thanks, Troy! /ccboard/images/icons/blush.gif