PDA

View Full Version : valley teflon ultra cloth??

vinnie717
07-21-2005, 01:13 PM
Is this cloth any good the pool table dealer said it would be good for a garage and it will play faster than the championship 21 oz cloth.what are your opinions on this cloth?

thank you
vince

dad8
07-21-2005, 03:35 PM
The cloth will play fine and enjoy the g.c.3.The difference between the two cloths are.21oz Champion ship 75/25 whool/nylon blend using a short fiber so that meens you have a napp..The valley cloth is a worsted whool using a long fiber the length and width.The advantage no napp or not as much anyways and a dupont treatment to protect the cloth from moister and spills.Why don't you put 860 simonis on the table.

Bob_Jewett
07-21-2005, 04:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote vinnie717:</font><hr> Is this cloth any good the pool table dealer said it would be good for a garage and it will play faster than the championship 21 oz cloth.what are your opinions on this cloth?... <hr /></blockquote>
If you plan to play in any competitions, try to get the same cloth that's used there. I don't know of any pool halls that use teflon-coated cloth -- that's more for places where beer is often applied to the cloth. I would worry about how draw will work on that surface.

If your table is going to be in a garage, you will probably need to worry about keeping the moisture out of the cloth. If you have a bare concrete floor, don't go for the high-end set of balls you asked about before.

dad8
07-21-2005, 06:23 PM
The teflon coating in the cloth is a selling point for billiard retailers some of these brandseven offer a 5 year garranty at least Brunswick does stain &amp; soil free for five years.I,ve played on the Centinial cloth a lot and it plays well and drawing a ball it seam to have a little more grip then the 860 simonis I played Monica Webb and Helen a few games and they liked it&gt;but because most turnaments are played using simonis thats what they prefer.

Rod
07-21-2005, 09:22 PM
I've played a lot on this stuff. Actually it may be a good choice for a table in the garage. Moisture and the elements will slow down any table but the effect is much less on this cloth.

It's slick stuff so more break in time is needed to mellow it out. This was on bar boxes that took a lot of abuse but the cloth held up well.

Rod

vinnie717
07-22-2005, 05:20 AM
thanks for your replys and the description says its worsted does this mean its like simonis 860?and will it affect english.

thank you ,vince

Billy_Bob
07-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Me and another player had trouble with draw shots on this cloth. Did not get what we expected. This was with new cloth. I remember looking at the cue ball after I shot and giving it a nasty look. Thinking... Now how did that happen?

I recently played on a table with older Teflon cloth and it was fine. Did not have any trouble.

So either just new cloth will play differently or old and new cloth are the same and I have just learned to adapt to different cloth?

I second the motion for getting the same cloth as what everyone else uses in your area.

Rod
07-22-2005, 08:27 AM
Worsted refers mainly to the weave as I recall so yes they would be similar although I haven't a clue on the thread count. All new cloth is slick and english is effected, so there is that break in period for either. The teflon cloth being more slick than the 860.

Rod

vinnie717
07-22-2005, 12:18 PM
is it good or bad if your cloth is slick?

Bob_Jewett
07-22-2005, 03:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote vinnie717:</font><hr> is it good or bad if your cloth is slick? <hr /></blockquote>
When the cloth is slick, back spin stays on the cue ball for much longer. Also, when the draw takes, it takes more slowly and you get wider arcs on the cue ball's path. In general, draw is much easier on slippery cloth. Some people like it for that reason.

If the rails are slippery, it's a little harder to get some extreme angles off the cushions and it can limit the position you play.

All new cloth is slick. Some cloths will lose that slipperiness in a few days. Evidently, the teflon cloth takes longer.