PDA

View Full Version : Olhausen Eclipse 9 ft vs. Diamond Home 8OS

cuepaul
07-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Hey everyone - I'm a new poster, but a thankful reader. This site is wonderful! I hope y'all let me know what you think of a buying decision I am weighing.... Pardon me if this runs a bit long while I explain things.

I have been wanting to buy a furniture quality, great playing table for awhile, but have been waiting for my sons to get old enough to be able to play on it, without too much fear that they'll damage it. They are now ready, at 7 and 8 years of age, using the wonderful Trouble Shooter shorter but well-balanced cues.

I got divorced two years ago, and ever since then my large, empty, unused living room has been screaming for me to fill it with a pool table. Its footprint is about 24 ft X 16 ft, with ample extra "air room" on several sides, so I know it will easily accommodate a 9 ft table, with room for some seating and walk-through lanes.

From all I've read, and based on personal experience in playing 9 ft tables, I know that I'd be a dummy not to buy that size table, given all the room I have for it, in the best part of the house for it to become a magnet for family time with the boys, friend time for them with their pals, and grown-up time for me with my pals.

If I ever remarry and have to move the table, it could squeeze a bit into my basement (using shorter cues for some shots), although for that space an 8 ft size would be better. The lady I'm seeing has already been given notice of the intended whereabouts of the table, and hasn't balked at all! (Maybe she's a keeper!)

If I could afford a Diamond Pro or Diamond Pro-Am, even used (the only ones I can seem to find anywhere are on Diamond's site or tournament sites for those used just for one tournament), I would likely be buying one of them.... But the boys would go without lots of luxuries, and I won't do that to them.

If I could find a great condition Brunswick Gold Crown I or II (or other high quality antique from that company's glory days), I would surely consider buying one. (If any of you knows of one in the Southeast - I live in metro-Atlanta, please let me know!!!)

Here's where my big thanks to all of you comes in. There are SO many table companies, and yet only a handful seem worthy of any serious attention: Diamond, Brunswick (but only for old GC I & IIs), and Olhausen. I've read a LOT about others like Connelly and old Gandy 9, but from what I can tell, I'd be better off saving for a Diamond Pro or Pro-Am than buying one of those.

As best I can tell, if I buy a new good looking and great playing table worth the money within my mid-to-high 3K budget (including delivery, installation, quality cloth, top balls, and lesser quality cues+balls+racks), I have two companies from which to choose: Olhausen and Diamond.

I haven't looked to see what a Diamond Home upgrade to 9 ft would cost (its web site says special order only and there is no local dealer), so its product would be any of the 46X92 home tables, which seem to be priced at mid to high 3K delivered and installed (about $700 for that combo to my home from the factory), for oak or maple (cloth+balls+cues+racks not included). I've looked and looked and looked, and haven't found anyone on this site or others who discusses the quality and playability and resale on a Diamond home table ... which makes me leery.

I've enjoyed reading all about Olhausens, especially how they're USA-made, and almost all of its line is warranted for life, including the Accu-Fast cushions, and its excellent resale value. I visited the local dealer today, and enjoyed chatting with a salesman and one of its area execs.

I looked at its entry models, and quickly saw that only the Reno was worthy of a further look. Once I modified its legs to look like the rest of my home's fine cherry and mahogany queen anne furniture (made by my now-deceased dad), and added wide rails, I realized that the one-level-up Eclipse was the way to go, if I buy an Olhausen.

Here's what I was quoted, for an Eclipse 9 ft: $3250 + $150 for hydraworsted cloth (or $225 for Simonis 860) + $99 delivery including installation and lifetime leveling if in same house + racks/cues/balls (mid-level package) + $150 Aramith SuperPro balls. I didn't chat about lighting or cue stands, but know I will if I proceed to a deal with that dealer.

Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

dad8
07-21-2005, 04:46 PM
You have been to Games&Things.Are you looking for a commercial table or more furniture style table.Also a new pool room in Duluth just opened Called The Pool Room just in front of Wild Bills bar At gwinnett place mall.This is his 2nd location the first one in Marietta Ga has Olhausen's tables in it the new place has Gold Crowns in it and he paid an average of 1700.00 more per table.And as far as warranty's that warranty they gave you is the sme warranty you get on Brunswick and Connelly Billiards and most of the rest.Every one fears buying a table that is built in China but those same customer trust Honda's to drive Olhausen will sell out to China as well its just a matter of time.7/8 inch slate does not meet any Turnament specs.You should check out Atlantic Billiards in Alpharetta 28 years in Atlanta sales and service.

cuepaul
07-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, including the note about the pool rooms on the northside. I'd like to get a great playing table that looks good enough to be in my living room area among fine furniture pieces. I forgot to confirm with the dealer that the Olhausen 9 ft gets 1" slate instead of the shorter tables' 7/8" slate (I've read somewhere that it does, but I'd want to nail that down). I would certainly upgrade it to 1".

I'll look at Atlantic's store in Kennesaw, nearer my home. I know it carries Brunswicks ... but other than the GCs (which are WAY above my budget), I can't find any good "vibes" for its current line.

Do you know any quality installers or others who would know of good deals on used older Brunswicks and other worthy tables?

dad8
07-21-2005, 06:11 PM
I will check around Atlanta Friday to see who has some used tables you might want to look at.I know most of the table mechanics around Atl and a few others that might have something worth looking at.I will be in touch.

cuepaul
07-21-2005, 06:44 PM
MUCH appreciated. Thank you for your help! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dad8
07-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Contact Scott at Southern Billiards in Loganville he does alot of billiard work around Atl.And deals with alot of used tables.I was not able to find a used Diamond or G.C. the tables that I have found most are priced to high.Theres a Brunswick Sports King in Athens thats mint.The man that has it is out of town.I will keep trying to get him on the phone.

cuepaul
07-23-2005, 06:02 PM
Thanks for everything. I really appreciate it. I'll give Scott a call as you suggest, and look forward to hearing back from you about the Athens table.

cuepaul
07-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Hey dad8,

I see from digging that you're likely with the Atlantic Billiards folks in town. I tried to see your tables in Kennesaw tonight, but got there too late for the 6 pm closing....

I became aware today of a deal for a two-year old used Gold Crown IV 9 ft table, plus GCiv light, plus centennial balls, plus simonis 760 cloth to be used in the reinstallation, all for $3100. I checked with the only guy who has ever installed or disassembled that table, and am checking with the cue guy who gave me the lead ..., and, assuming the cue guy gives the thumbs up, I'm likely going to buy the package and travel in a cargo van to pick it up.

I've gotten advice from a local installer about crating the slates and boxing the other parts. He confirmed that a cargo van will be plenty big enough to haul the load well.

Do you or any other users here have thoughts about that deal, as outlined? I can't play on the table, because it has already been disassembled, but it seems to me too good a deal to refuse....

Looking forward to your feedback ... especially because it appears you'd be my local dealer if I have any problems after the purchase!

dad8
07-26-2005, 02:16 PM
I work with Atlantic and have for a long time.Thats a great price on the G.C. at 3100.00.And I have moved plenty of tables from a van years ago.Who will be moving the table for you I know everyone in Atl and I can tell you if they will do a good job.Make sure this person is insured and bonded to protect your property if not you get the shaft if anything is damaged.There's a hand full of billiard hacks or so called mechanics running around Atl.

cuepaul
07-26-2005, 04:48 PM
dad8 - I decided against the GC4 deal. Too many doubts, centered on not being able to see the table intact or play on it, plus the hassle of missing work to go get it four states away.

Tell me about Connellys. I hear good things....

dad8
07-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Connelly lets start with the frame 1inch7/8 thickness center beam contruction.And when you order oak maple or cherry wood thats what you get.Slate min 1 inch now alot of there tables come standard with 1.25inch slate.Rails 4 rail bolts per rail.Cushions are called "Icon" there quiet the ball responce is great.I've played on about every type of table out there and I think Connelly tables in the mid price range can't be matched.Not by Brunswick or Olhausen.The only reason why there name is not as big as Olhausen or Brunswick they have not spent the advertising money,but they are moving up fast.We like there construction and the direction they are headed and there ability to build us anything we want.