PDA

View Full Version : 2005 US Open

thecardman
07-22-2005, 06:23 AM
So, who's all going to this year's US Open? Whether it be as a player, spectator or even helping do something at it.

This is my first trip to the Open - in fact, it's only my second time in America (the first was 3 years ago on a "magician's special" holiday, a week at a convention in NYC and a week at the Magic Castle in Hollywood - awsome!), so I'd like to ask - what should I watch out for at the Open? And what about the stuff after the tournament day has finished, what should I look for there?

I could go on and on asking (potentially) really dumb questions about the US Open, but the main one is who's going?

Maybe see you there?

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HarryDC
07-22-2005, 06:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thecardman:</font><hr> So, who's all going to this year's US Open? Whether it be as a player, spectator or even helping do something at it.

This is my first trip to the Open - in fact, it's only my second time in America (the first was 3 years ago on a "magician's special" holiday, a week at a convention in NYC and a week at the Magic Castle in Hollywood - awsome!), so I'd like to ask - what should I watch out for at the Open? And what about the stuff after the tournament day has finished, what should I look for there?

I could go on and on asking (potentially) really dumb questions about the US Open, but the main one is who's going?

Maybe see you there?

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hello,

Hope you have a great time! Well, lets see! Bring some beach
cloths as the beach is close by, golf clubs coz the courses are close by, and some dosh for the pool venders which will be there. Weather forcast hazy hot and humid.

Hey, will there be any Scots playing in the tournament?

Cheers

Rich R.
07-22-2005, 06:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thecardman:</font><hr> I could go on and on asking (potentially) really dumb questions about the US Open, but the main one is who's going?<hr /></blockquote>
Many of us will be there, as usual. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You can find the latest post, by 9 Ball Girl, showing the list of the people who are entered in the 2005 CCB tournament. There will be other CCB members at the Open, but that list will give you an idea of some of the people who will be there. A few go for the whole week, others will be arriving sometime during the week and still others will arrive for the final weekend.

If you haven't already, you may want to sign up to play in the CCB tournament, which is on the last Saturday of the Open, at Q-masters, the pool room owned by Barry Behrman. It starts at 10:00am on Saturday morning and we try to get everyone out in time for the evening session at the Open. It is a fun tournment and the main purpose is for CCB members to get together and have a good time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Send a PM to 9 Ball Girl if you want to join in.

We also get together for dinner on Friday night and again, you could let 9 Ball Girl know if you want to be included in that.

As far as the Open goes, you will see the best pool players in the world. Enough said. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If you thrive on a lack of sleep, you can go to Q-Masters and see or participate in a lot of action all night long. It is open 24 hours a day, during the Open.

Travel safely and we'll see you there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
07-22-2005, 07:34 AM
Yup, I'll be there from Monday thru Monday. Speaking of which:

<font color="red">We're just about</font color> <font color="blue">59 days away from the U.S. Open (http://www.usopen9ballchampionships.com/)</font color><font color="red"> and thought I'd bring this up again.</font color>

CCB 4 Tourney
in Memory of Frank Glenn, Dave "Mr. Ingrate" Syrja, and Chris "Chris Cass" Aiardo

When: Saturday, September 24, 2005
Where: <font color="blue">Q-Master Billiards</font color> (http://www.q-masters.com/index.php) in <font color="blue">The Green Room (http://www.q-masters.com/gallery.php)</font color> (first 3 pictures in the 3rd row on page 1)
Time: Warmup starts at 10 AM, quickie Player's Meeting at 11 AM, Play starts after
Format: Round Robin Scotch Doubles (not Jack and Jill)

Player List
1. 9 Ball Girl
2. Rich R
3. landshark77
4. Doctor_D
5. Eric.
6. cueball1950
7. JackPot George
8. Kato
9.Brian in VA
10.JMD in VA
11.pooltchr
12.Nostalgia
13.tateuts
14.LJC_Cues
15.pooldaddy9
16.Tom_in_Cincy
17.VoodooDaddy
18.dg-in-centralpa

PM me with Count Me In! in the subject line if you'd like to play in the tourney. Also, if you're interested in donating a little something for our <font color="blue">U.S. Open Raffle</font color> (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=195214&amp;Forum=Al l_Forums&amp;Words=9%20Ball%20Girl&amp;Match=Username&amp;Sear chpage=2&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=195041&amp;Search= true#Post195214), PM me too.

<font color="red">Prize</font color>
1st and 2nd Place CCB Trophies (US Open Replica Plaques) - Brian in VA, Harold Acosta
Surprise Gift - 9 Ball Girl (Wendy)

<font color="red">U.S. Open Raffle Items</font color>
1 $695 Cue-Tech Pool School (http://www.poolschool.info) Tuition - randyg
1 Audrick Custom Cue (Philippines) - cueball1950 (Mike)
1 Butterfly Jump Cue - cueball1950
1 2005 Silver Dollar - cueball1950
1 Guissepe 2x4 Case - LJC_Cues (Luke)
Bags of Nuts - Barbara
1 Cue - mtuckeriii (Murray Tucker III)
$300 Half Day Scott Lee Lesson - Scott Lee

CCB Dinner

Where: <font color="blue">The Yukon Steak Co.</font color> (http://www.yukonsteak.com/)
When: Friday, September 23, 2005
Time: Meet at 5 PM in the lobby of the Holiday Inn. Reservations will be for 5:30 PM.

I'm going to make the reservations about 2 weeks before the date so if you guys can let me know if you're going to the dinner I can have a close to accurate count of people for the reservation. Also keep in mind that the date for the Tribute to <font color="blue">Steve Mizerak</font color> (http://usopen9ballchampionships.com/steve_mizerak.php) is Friday, September 23 from 4:30 - 6:30 PM

Wendy&lt;---Jack of All Trades, Master of None...Dishaw 37 /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cane
07-22-2005, 09:35 AM
Wendy, Unfortunately, I'm going to have to ask you to remove me from the players list. Would like to go, but this move into the new house has put me in a position such that I can only afford one "big" trip this fall. So, I'm going to Vegas in October to play in the 9ball open and maybe the banks open. Me, Caedos, RandyG and some other Dallas crew will be there. Sure will miss being able to hit the Open, but the Vegas thing is very important to me.

Man, October is going to be a busy month... Teaching in Raliegh the first weekend, Charlotte the second weekend and Vegas for the entire last week. I probably won't get out of my recliner for most of November! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
Bob

9 Ball Girl
07-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Too bad. Maybe next year. Kick ass in all of your tournaments and have fun! Tell Billie I said How You Doin'!

Cane
07-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks, Wendy, I'm sure going to miss being able to meet the CCBers in September, but like you said, maybe next year. Billie was here drinking coffee with me and she said "Tell Wendy Howdy."

Later,
Bob

ras314
07-22-2005, 10:57 AM
A word of caution, if you want to see the TV table do not buy seats in the Capone Cues section. The TV camera and operaters, hangers ons, ect will block your view. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Any chance you get, go watch or join in the action at Que Masters. If you can stand the smoke. Some great matchups there last year and you could be close enough to enjoy them.
Some of the pros were giving a LOT of weight, but wanted a big payday. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
07-22-2005, 11:03 AM
I love going to Q-Masters. I've always felt that that's what a real pool room should be like (between the music, the action, the smoking, etc). Since they've banned smoking in NY, I've gotten used to it, but for some reason when I'm at Q-Masters, it doesn't bother me one bit like it does at other smoking places.

ras314
07-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Yeah, but the smoke can get so thick it's a problem trying to watch a hot chick in a short red dress and heels play way over across the room. Won't mention the name but the initials started with "Wendy". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
07-22-2005, 11:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Yeah, but the smoke can get so thick it's a problem trying to watch a hot chick in a short red dress and heels play way over across the room. Won't mention the name but the initials started with "Wendy". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Brian in VA
07-22-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm never there when I need to be. Dammit! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Brian in VA

9 Ball Girl
07-23-2005, 11:10 PM
19.thecardman

thecardman
07-24-2005, 09:10 AM
To everyone who responded many, many thanks. I really appreciate the information.

Harry, Scotland will have a representative. Pat Holtz won out qualifying tournament last Sunday, winning the final against Michael Valentine by 9 racks to 8, to win an expenses paid trip to the US Open. He should put up a good show.

ras314, I'm in the Josey Cues section - the 2 side sections were sold out when I went to get my seat.

And Rich and 9 Ball Girl, I cannot wait for the CCB Tourney and, if everything permits, the CCB dinner. I'll be in touch soon.

One more wee quick question - what sort of companies sell their wares at the Open? Are there certain companies that are always there? That sort of thing.

Many thanks once again and best wishes - oh and see you all in 8 weeks time! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jim Walker
07-25-2005, 05:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thecardman:</font><hr> So, who's all going to this year's US Open? Whether it be as a player, spectator or even helping do something at it.

Maybe see you there?

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

The tournament day usually ends around 1-2am if you are a spectator like me. Reasonable people go to bed at that time. Unreasonable people may go to Q-Masters for more action. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Jim

Voodoo Daddy
07-25-2005, 05:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jim Walker:</font><hr> Unreasonable people may go to Q-Masters for more action. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Jim <hr /></blockquote>

VOODOO~~~very unreasonable /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ras314
07-25-2005, 07:06 AM
Jim,

Are you the Jim Walker that used to work at USNMDL?

9 Ball Girl
07-25-2005, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jim Walker:</font><hr> Unreasonable people may go to Q-Masters for more action. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Jim <hr /></blockquote>

VOODOO~~~very unreasonable /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>Wendy&lt;---extremely, down right unreasonable (just ask Ron Park and Tommy Kennedy! LOL)

9 Ball Girl
07-25-2005, 11:49 AM
20.Jim Walker

Rich R.
07-25-2005, 12:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thecardman:</font><hr>One more wee quick question - what sort of companies sell their wares at the Open? Are there certain companies that are always there? That sort of thing.<hr /></blockquote>The vendors at the Open vary a little bit from year to year. There is not a huge amount of space for vendors and they set up in the hallways.
Usually, there are a couple of cue makers and several cue dealers, as well as some general pool equipment dealers and maybe a case dealer or maker. If you really want to see a lot of dealers and cue makers, you will have to schedule another trip in March for the Super Billiards Expo, in Valley Forge, Pa. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim Walker
07-25-2005, 01:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Jim,

Are you the Jim Walker that used to work at USNMDL? <hr /></blockquote>

I don't think so. What is a USNMDL ?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Voodoo Daddy
07-25-2005, 03:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote thecardman:</font><hr>One more wee quick question - what sort of companies sell their wares at the Open? Are there certain companies that are always there? That sort of thing.<hr /></blockquote>The vendors at the Open vary a little bit from year to year. There is not a huge amount of space for vendors and they set up in the hallways.
Usually, there are a couple of cue makers and several cue dealers, as well as some general pool equipment dealers and maybe a case dealer or maker. If you really want to see a lot of dealers and cue makers, you will have to schedule another trip in March for the Super Billiards Expo, in Valley Forge, Pa. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, so you can pass Rich &amp; Cathy in the hallway and never see them again /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Nostroke
07-25-2005, 04:04 PM
I don't think so. What is a USNMDL ?

That is the United States Network of Major Delusional Losers.

I was a Captain for many years with them. Now I have an honorable lifetime membership.

OK-So its not my best material. Im bored.

Barbara
07-25-2005, 04:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr>That is the United States Network of Major Delusional Losers.

I was a Captain for many years with them. Now I have an honorable lifetime membership.

OK-So its not my best material. Im bored. <hr /></blockquote>

Dave,

You're killing me! LOL!!

Barbara

ras314
07-25-2005, 08:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jim Walker:</font><hr> I don't think so. What is a USNMDL ?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>
United States Navy Mine Defense Laboratory. Heard it called lots of things. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry, same name, state, and age as someone I used to know, was just curious.

Rich R.
07-26-2005, 03:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr>Yeah, so you can pass Rich &amp; Cathy in the hallway and never see them again /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Or you can work in a cue maker's booth, where the wait to get to the front of the line was 6-months, not to mention the wait to get a cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo Daddy
07-26-2005, 04:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Or you can work in a cue maker's booth, where the wait to get to the front of the line was 6-months, not to mention the wait to get a cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Touche`. The line was long but worth the wait. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

cueball1950
07-28-2005, 09:13 PM
I would also like to donate a NEW Never used 2x2 vincitorre real leather case to the prize fund. so wendy, work your magic and add it to the prize list. i am disappointed with the list this year being so small. but what the hell. i will find more things to donate as usual. Gosh i feel like Santa Claus again this year /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif...............mike

9 Ball Girl
07-29-2005, 05:58 AM
I'm assuming that would be the list for the CCBers? I haven't hear Yay or Nay on the Raffle thing so I'm going to add it to the list to raffle off for the CCBers (actually, that list consists of either 1st or 2nd prize and my Surprise Gift).

Speaking of which, if the Chris Cass raffle doesn't go through, for those of you who donated, do you want it to go to the CCBers raffle list? (those items originally started off as the CCBers' raffle like last year)