PDA

View Full Version : YUK!! I'm in a SLUMP!

Plummerbutt
07-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Right now I couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a scoop shovel.

Three weeks ago I felt as if I'd hit dead stroke, couldn't miss ANY shot and the leaves were coming naturally. This utopia lasted for about a week.

Then two weeks ago it all went down hill.., WAY down hill. Even when I practice I can't hit squat! When I'm not hooking myself my leaves are a mile off. No confidence at all right now.

People that I normally whip are lining up to play me knowing that this is thier opportunity to get some revenge. This part has been on the bright side though because its actally been quit humorous. People are pretty good eggs in general.

I'm just going to keep plugging away knowing I'll eventually come out of it. At least I hope I will!

YUK! YUK! YUK!!!

theinel
07-22-2005, 06:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Plummerbutt:</font><hr> Right now I couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a scoop shovel.<hr /></blockquote>
I've been right there with you Plummerbutt since I got back from the BCA in Vegas.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Plummerbutt:</font><hr>No confidence at all right now.<hr /></blockquote>
For me that is the key. Assuming fundamentals are sound I think that lack of confidence and negative metal imagery are responsible for most misses. Lately I'm sure I'm going to miss and I do. When I get distracted and I'm not thinking my usual negative thoughts or the few times I know I'm playing someone who can't beat me I snap back to my normal level of play.

Good luck with the slump.

sack316
07-22-2005, 11:06 PM
we must be on the same schedule, because I also seemed unbeatable about 3 weeks ago. I was putting myself up against people that were way underranked just because I knew I could shut just about anybody down once I gained control of the table.
Then the other night in a big match I get smoked by this guy that's a good shot, but he has never EVER beat me, not even just practicing, he just has this complex against me. Well, true to form he didn't shoot very well, but his bad play was about 3 times better than mine was. Racks that I usually run out on with ease became a struggle to make 2 or 3 balls on. Luckily now my practice sessions have been good, so hopefully I'm back now... hopefully

p.s. I did manage to save face on my loss because he is convinced I took a dive so I don't move up before playoffs. I explained to him that I don't sandbag and that he just outshot me that night, but if he wants to believe that he still can't beat me then I won't stop him /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cane
07-22-2005, 11:59 PM
PB, Don't worry, it will pass. Usually the obvious cause of a slump is something mechanical, but then again, something psychological can cause you do abandon a mechanical routine. All kinds of things cause game breakdowns... money problems, girlfriend problems (esp if your wife finds out about her), car problems, trouble at work, divorce (although, I played my best pool during my first divorce, might have been a little relief thing going on there, ya know)... even good things can cause a slump... new car, new house, promotion at work, divorce (well, in some cases that IS a good thing... I can personally think of THREE times it was a good thing!!!)

I'm not one that believes slumps just come and go. I feel like they always have a cause and that the root cause always causes a player to change something very small in their game that takes them "out of stroke".

Whatever it is, it will pass. Hopefully, you just passed one of those peaks, are in a bit of a slump and when you come back, your game will be even stronger.

Later,
Bob

Barbara
07-23-2005, 07:41 AM
Five words:

Go back to the basics.

Also:

Bert Kinister's Shot #1.

This will tell you if you've got an alignment problem or if your stroke's not straight or if you're hitting the CB off-center.

I swear by this shot.

Barbara

Billy_Bob
07-23-2005, 08:42 AM
I read that some slumps are caused by learning something new and while you are learning this new thing, you are "thinking" about it each time. Then this new thing transitions to "auto pilot" to where you no longer need to think about it. And during this transition, you are in a slump. Then when you come out of the slump, you play better than ever and the new thing you have learned is now incorporated into your playing.

I've noticed this is the case with myself.

So the question is, have you been learning anything new in the past few months? Got new cue? New tip?, etc.

Sid_Vicious
07-23-2005, 09:08 AM
"This will tell you if you've got an alignment problem or if your stroke's not straight or if you're hitting the CB off-center."

You can't dodge the truth from this drill...sid~~~slumpsville too, months now and getting ugly

Fran Crimi
07-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Well, the whole country has been in a vicious heat wave. Heat can drag you down too.

Fran

Plummerbutt
07-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Cane--You cracked me up with the divorce stuff. LOL! You also make good sense of a slump situation. You are right, it is a fundamental error, I am WAY out of stroke. Example, when drawing the CB, I cannot get it to draw strait back, its usually running somewhere between 30 &amp; 60 degrees angle from strait line. I've never had this problem until now. And you are right about another thing.., I will shoot my way back to normal pool.., or I'll die trying.

Barbara, where can I check that stroke indicator?

Billy-Bob, you are also correct. I'm shooting with a new stick, just got it about 2 months ago. Felt great till this situation, now it seems like a forien object in my hands. Nothing seems familiar anymore. I'm also working hard to learn new shots and have been working at that quit dilligently.

I belive my trouble is caused by this, or a combination of these factors.

Focus, concentration, outside pressure, outside influences, attentiveness.

I'll leave divorce out of this.., at least for now. LOL!

Cane
07-23-2005, 04:15 PM
PB
Sounds like you're just hitting the CB a little off center. It doesn't take much to make the CB draw back on an angle instead of straight. Do the old Rock and Fire drill and see if that's what's happening.

Barbara. I don't have any of Berts tapes. Could you explain this drill?

Thanks,
Bob

Billy_Bob
07-23-2005, 09:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Plummerbutt:</font><hr>...I'm shooting with a new stick, just got it about 2 months ago. Felt great till this situation, now it seems like a forien object in my hands. Nothing seems familiar anymore. I'm also working hard to learn new shots and have been working at that quit dilligently.<hr /></blockquote>

Well then fear not! So far as that above "slump" theory goes, you will be shooting better than ever in a short period of time. Just wait it out is all...

Barbara
07-24-2005, 07:00 AM
Okay. Bert's Shot #1 is this:

OB is a couple inches off the long rail, two diamonds away from the corner pocket. CB is two diamonds away from corner pocket on the same side of the table. and lined up straight to the OB. The object is to shoot the OB into the corner pocket and have the CB "roll" into the OB's last position. It's not a stop shot, the CB should replace the OB's position on the table by rolling into it after contacting the OB.

I try to do one whole rack on each side of the table. I maybe execute this drill correctly 4-7 times out of one rack.

Barbara