PDA

View Full Version : Test to be a "certified" referee?

Billy_Bob
07-25-2005, 10:40 AM
I heard someone say that there is a written "open book" test to become a certified referee.

Anyone ever heard of this? Are any of these tests on the internet? Link?

I would like to get a copy; my reasons...

1. I think it would be a good way for me to learn the rules.

2. Would be a good thing to give to new league players.

3. I would love to have a copy available while playing someone who does not know the rules, but insists they do. Then hand them this rules test.

Barbara
07-25-2005, 01:36 PM
Billy Bob,

If you want to become a BCA Certified Referee all you have to do is ask them to send you out their test, complete it, and send it back.

To become a BCA Certified National Referee, you have to take their course and test at the 8-Ball Nats in Vegas in May.

At least, that's the way they were doing business before the BCA sold off their leagues. I have no idea what they're doing now with the Refs so I would suggest that you contact them.

Barbara

theinel
07-26-2005, 10:21 PM
Barbara is correct in everything that she says. I was a certified ref (too lazy to renew this year) and have taken the open book test (I think I got a %92 or %93). It was overall very easy although there were a few questions that I was unsure of mostly because I thought the question or the rule book was poorly worded.

My first complaint about the process was that they didn't tell me which questions I got wrong and what the correct answers were which would have been very good to know.

My other complaint would be that because the test is so easy I know a person who passed the test and doesn't know the rules very well at all who continually gives people very bad rulings.

Keep in mind that if you want to, or do, advance to the to the National level you have to take training at the Nationals and then ref at one of the events which means that you can't play in that event. This seems obvious that you can't play in and ref an event but it's a it of a bummer.

I am hoping that the Mark Griffin either improves the program or spins it off into it's own organization so that it can self regulate itself.