PDA

View Full Version : Keith McCready - 2005 VA State 9 Ball Champion!

JMD in VA
07-25-2005, 11:38 AM
"The Earthquake" rumbled in Virginia this weekend as he went undefeated to win the 2005 Virginia State 9 Ball Championships. He play 15 yr old sensation Chris Futrell from VA Beach in the Finals and won 11-7! It was as exciting to watch as the score shows.

Congratulations to our New Champion and our Runner-Up.
Keith now goes on to the 30th US Open to represent Virginia and DC. Good Luck Keith!

A Very Special Thanks to The Playing Field and Parrot Cues for Sponsoring this year tournament and putting up the money for the U.S. Open spot. To Brian Keller (Brian in VA) for once again making the trophies for this year's tournament. To Rich R. and Cathy for driving down to watch the tournament and to come see me. Sorry about the directions! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

I would personally like to thank everyone that participated in this year VA State 9 Ball Championship! Especially those who came back this year. It is players like you that make this event a success. For those who played for the first time, thanks for coming. Thanks also to the poolrooms who ran qualifiers for this years tournament. I hope everyone made it home safe and I hope to see everyone come back next year at the 2006 VA State 9 Ball Championships.

Joshua M. Dickerson
Tournament Director/ Promoter
JMD in VA

9 Ball Girl
07-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Hi Josh! Congratulations on yet another tournament well done! Maybe next year I'll go down just to check it out! Congratulations also to Keith for the win! From what I read from JAM's post on AZB, Keith had his work cut out for him! Way to go Keith!

RailbirdJAM
07-26-2005, 04:03 AM
Hi, Josh! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Congratulations are in order for pulling off the Virginia State 9-Ball Championship tournament the second year in a row without a hitch. Everybody had a wonderful experience, and the matches ran expeditiously and smooth as butter, thanks to your expertise, dedication, and passion for the game/sport.

I have been to The Playing Field in Richmond on several occasions, and I am always greeted by the staff and locals with a warm welcome. There is nothing better than a tournament down South, and this one was no exception, by any means.

This year's finals was a real treat for me, not only because Keith McCready (my horse in this race /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif) won the event, but the finals was one that captured everybody's attention, witnessing 15-year-old Chris Futrell battling it out with a seasoned veteran. There were some incredible shots, safety plays, break-and-runs, but the thing that impressed me the most was the professional demeanor of Futrell who some folks were labeling as the "Corey Deuel of the new millennium." /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

It was really GREAT to see Rich R. and his lovely wife make the trek. Seeing familiar faces in the crowd is always nice for me and mine!

Todd Elkins of Parrot Cues was on site, not only providing cue repair and maintenance, but his sponsorship guaranteed the succcess of the second Virginia State 9-Ball Championship, the second of what I hope is many more to come.

Keith is very proud that he was able to hang in there and win when all the dust settled, and when we got back home in the wee hours of the morning, the only thing he wanted to grab out of the car was his beautiful first-place placque, which was provided by Brian of Virginia, hand-made from an actual Virginia walnut tree, a beautiful specimen from the Commonwealth State. What a great keepsake, one which will always be a reminder of the joy that we both experienced at the 2005 Virginia State 9-Ball Championship.

Thanks again, Josh, and we will both be looking forward to seeing you on the tournament trail very soon! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

RailbirdJAM

Rich R.
07-26-2005, 07:13 AM
Jen, you pretty much summed it up. It was the "Old Guard" against the "Young Guns".

There were great matches thoughout the tournament, but the last several were outstanding. Another young player, Brandon Shuff, finished in third place.

Also, let's not forget that Keith and young Chris went hill-hill, before Keith captured the hot-seat. It set up a very exciting final.

IIRC, Chris broke in the first game of the finals, came up empty, and did not see the table again until it was 4-0, in Keith's favor. At 5-1, most would have thought that this 15 year old kid was done, but nobody told Chris, as he came back to take the lead 6-5. After that, both players played solid, with Keith squeezing out the win.
Chaulk up one for the old guys. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Josh ran a great tournament and, as usual, I took a few pictures. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I attempted to get them posted yesterday, but ran into some problems with this damn internet. I will try again as soon as I can. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

BTW, don't be surprised if you see Chris Futrell entered in the U.S. Open, as he plays out of Q-Masters. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
He may surprise many of the older players.

Kamixel
07-26-2005, 10:59 AM
I believe it would be a mistake for Chris to play in the open. He has the rest of his life to play in the open. If he plays in it and finishes well he will never be able to sneak up on shortstops, which he should be able to do for years if he does it right.

JPB
07-26-2005, 03:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kamixel:</font><hr> I believe it would be a mistake for Chris to play in the open. He has the rest of his life to play in the open. If he plays in it and finishes well he will never be able to sneak up on shortstops, which he should be able to do for years if he does it right. <hr /></blockquote>

You may be right, but if so it is sad. A 15 year old should focus on being great. If our game is in such a state that a 15 y/o has to figure out how to hide his speed...

This is another reason why it is looking more and more that the great young players will be from other parts of the world.

Rich R.
07-26-2005, 09:10 PM
The ground was really shaking in Va.
Here are some pictures of the action.
Josh will have to help me with names for some of these players.

Brian at his best.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/ped2fdb5d36e32f746ddce3d8c541f625/f316e19d.jpg

The ground started shaking on Saturday as Keith began.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/pf69450e8d97b5e3340e2a02f087ea7ff/f316e18a.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/p135c7e0885ddb9dfaf4872d72aa08edb/f316e17d.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/p6fb8d61d270169d81429a9d1348cb134/f316e166.jpg

Check out this guy's cue. You'll never roll a cue on a table again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/p8c2f5f5a8b0b2c792d9e6d8209f187c8/f316e15a.jpg

This is Todd, maker of Parrot Cues, the major sponsor of this event.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/pc76dd3839e2093e9dba58952a0e1253a/f316e14c.jpg

This guy is a dentist and he can use that toothpick in his hands. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/pf43d9b1debb6e6c40edaa65341c55dc4/f316e13f.jpg

The Charts, the Cash and the Trophies.
The Trophies were made by Brian. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/p12ca9a2ab51a7eef947e2d89a06eee90/f316e12c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/p64493401100d91a0a51fa2e375d1202c/f316e125.jpg

Keith gets down to business, on Sunday.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/p22f89214af9f1da0547cf9bb36d84182/f316e119.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/p74da79b8eefc575ddd178af029068061/f316e10f.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/pb886f368abb2892c2e9bee47b82bf8a7/f316e105.jpg

This is one of the many young guns at the event, Brandon Shuff, who finished Third.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/pa305f14ac73ca5955bd5feb6ac64ee5f/f316e0fc.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/p4dcf7d8a470b10e36b0c2f67a8026b9f/f316e0e2.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/pa86ef914964b741d8d2c9b5bbc37f12c/f316e0d9.jpg

Chis, the young gun, faces off with Keith of the old guard.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/p5dc1cec1b1b1e3658cc62782bbeaa70a/f316e0cd.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/pefc99c28de656d25785a041eb287fbac/f316e0c7.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/pa581cf88166fd5eae7f097ec0ec9e0e9/f316e0c0.jpg

Keith, the winner, with second place finisher, Chris.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/p68bb5995c7f99e54b0a43a8e3491ba50/f316e0b8.jpg

Chis, Josh and Keith.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid179/p54585774d0c93980bd41ad8860490840/f316e0aa.jpg

This was a great event. Congratulations to Josh and winners, Keith and Chris.

Rich R.
07-26-2005, 09:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kamixel:</font><hr> I believe it would be a mistake for Chris to play in the open. He has the rest of his life to play in the open. If he plays in it and finishes well he will never be able to sneak up on shortstops, which he should be able to do for years if he does it right. <hr /></blockquote>
I don't believe any one has to learn how to "sneak up on shortstops". There is a lot more to this game, other than the quick hustle.

Kamixel
07-27-2005, 06:03 AM
There is also a lot more to the game than playing in tournaments. Spend all week playing and a good finish would be to double your $500 entry fee. Reality is he's not going to finish high enough to make a good chunk of money, so why let hundreds of players see him play. I'm just saying if he wants to make money at this game, which I'm pretty sure he does.

Rich R.
07-27-2005, 06:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kamixel:</font><hr> There is also a lot more to the game than playing in tournaments. Spend all week playing and a good finish would be to double your $500 entry fee. Reality is he's not going to finish high enough to make a good chunk of money, so why let hundreds of players see him play. I'm just saying if he wants to make money at this game, which I'm pretty sure he does. <hr /></blockquote>
Like I said, there is more to this game than the quick hustle.
As long as players only think about the hustle and taking advantage of low level players, pool will never get the respect that it deserves and it will continue to live in the past. JMHO.

RailbirdJAM
07-27-2005, 07:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> The ground was really shaking in Va.
Here are some pictures of the action.
Josh will have to help me with names for some of these players....<hr /></blockquote>

Hi, Rich R. Long time no "see." /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Your pics are fabulous! I can help out with a few names.

The player with the crooked stick, or maybe I should say ergonomically correct cue, is Ron Zampko. He attends every single U.S. Open and plays out of Q-Masters. Ron finished 4th place.

"The Dentist" is Dave Hunter, one of Richmond's finest players. He often plays on the regional tournament trail and is a true Southern gentleman.

The player standing on one leg with the black shirt and tan shorts is another strong Richmond player. He used to be the House Pro at The Playing Field and his name is John Dagonhartt.

The player with the open bridge hand is AzBilliard's "Black-Balled" a/k/a Walter Kochs, who finished 5th place.

The shooter with the glasses is Bernie Kirby who came in 7th place.

The player with the black hat turned backwards is Young Gun Brandon Shuff, one of my favorite local players, who came in 3rd.

The shooter with the blue hat turned backwards is Richmond's resident man of all games, Larry Kressel, who finished 6th place.

I'm wondering what's happening down there in Norfolk at Q-Masters. The Master's tournament begins today at noon. Shawn Putnam, Corey Deuel, Jose Parica are some of the top guns who showed up, but let me tell you, they don't have to like it if and when they have to play against Chris Futrell. I'll be following this tournament very closely!

Looking forward to seeing you and Cathy soon, Rich! It's always great seeing you guys!

RailbirdJAM

PQQLK9
07-27-2005, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kamixel:</font><hr> I believe it would be a mistake for Chris to play in the open. He has the rest of his life to play in the open. If he plays in it and finishes well he will never be able to sneak up on shortstops, which he should be able to do for years if he does it right. <hr /></blockquote>
I don't believe any one has to learn how to "sneak up on shortstops". There is a lot more to this game, other than the quick hustle. <hr /></blockquote>

tap ...tap ...tap,great pictures Rich.
Thanks.

Kamixel
07-27-2005, 08:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kamixel:</font><hr> There is also a lot more to the game than playing in tournaments. Spend all week playing and a good finish would be to double your $500 entry fee. Reality is he's not going to finish high enough to make a good chunk of money, so why let hundreds of players see him play. I'm just saying if he wants to make money at this game, which I'm pretty sure he does. <hr /></blockquote>
Like I said, there is more to this game than the quick hustle.
As long as players only think about the hustle and taking advantage of low level players, pool will never get the respect that it deserves and it will continue to live in the past. JMHO. <hr /></blockquote>

That's a great idea in fantasyland but that's not the way it is. If no pool players hustled they'd all be broke with the exception of the top 20. That's what keeps the cash in their pockets, not tournaments. If you stay broke you can't keep playing pool.....thus pool players hustle!

Rich R.
07-27-2005, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the help Jen. I know I heard all of those names over the weekend, but my memory ain't what it used to be. Come to think of it, it is bad, just like it used to be. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The one thing I could say for sure is, all of these guys could play some pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I too will be waiting for some reports from Q-Masters. I'm sure the name, Chris Futrell, will be coming up and we will not be forgetting it any time soon.

Cathy and I will definitely be seeing you in September, if not sooner. It is always a pleasure.

Rich R.
07-27-2005, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> great pictures Rich. <hr /></blockquote>
Thanks Nick.
I'm sorry they look so dark. There is always a little shift in brightness, when I post pictures to the internet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

RedHell
07-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Just for the record, young Chris played in the Open last year. I can still see the pressure on his mom's face. Meanwhile, Chris was quite comfortable and was enjoying the experience.

Brian in VA
07-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Quote Kamixel "thus pool players hustle!"

Hustlers hustle, pool players play pool. The two are not mutually exclusive but neither are they conjoined. There are plenty of very talented players here in Richmond that never play for money. There are plenty of money players here that have never hustled. Stereotyping will continue to hurt the game if it's allowed to continue.

Brian in VA

Kamixel
07-27-2005, 01:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> Quote Kamixel "thus pool players hustle!"

Hustlers hustle, pool players play pool. The two are not mutually exclusive but neither are they conjoined. There are plenty of very talented players here in Richmond that never play for money. There are plenty of money players here that have never hustled. Stereotyping will continue to hurt the game if it's allowed to continue.

Brian in VA <hr /></blockquote>

I guess that all depends on what you consider talented. I've been to Richmond plenty of times and the only descent players there gamble. Not too many good "funsies" players in the world. Lots of nice funsies players but they will definitely reach a ceiling and stop improving. Sorry JMHO.

Matt C. in Va

Billy
07-27-2005, 04:59 PM
Not too many good "funsies" players in the world. Lots of nice funsies players but they will definitely reach a ceiling and stop improving

Ralf Souquet I understand never gambled

and Strickland for the last 15+ years has played only tournaments

two pretty good 'funsies' players /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

jmo

JMD in VA
07-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Pic names:

1) Brian in VA
2)Keith
3 &amp; 4) Jeff Dolezal- Nat'l Wheelchair Players Assoc.
5) Ron Zampko
6) Todd Elkins- maker of Parrot Cues
7) David Hunt
8) Trophies and the Cash!
9) John Dagenhardt
10) Keith
11) Walter Koch
12) Bernie Kirby

You know the rest.
Thanks Rich. They look great!

JMD in VA

Brian in VA
07-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Matt,
I'm struggling to understand what you're saying. If it's that players will never reach their potential unless they play for money, I'll have to disagree. (If that were the case, Ralf Souqet has under-performed and I'm not sure anyone would agree with that statement.)

If you're saying that playing for money makes you a "hustler" I'd have to disagree with your definition of the word hustler. My definition is someone who doesn't show their true speed in an effort to get into a wager with the nuts. They aren't depending on their game for the win but on their ability to act or negotiate. I've played both golf and pool for money and I hardly think of myself as a hustler because I'm not hiding my speed (kind of hard to hide a lack of talent /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif) and usually attempt to negotiate a spot, if one is needed, to make a fair match. Fair match being either one of us could win. When you brand all those who play for money, hustlers, you stereotype unfairly and risk continuing to show pool in its worst light.

JMHO, too.

Brian in VA

Scott Lee
07-28-2005, 01:32 PM
[quote=KamixelLots of nice funsies players but they will definitely reach a ceiling and stop improving. Sorry JMHO.

Matt C. in Va
<hr /></blockquote>

Matt C...I would have to disagree with you here! Although gambling is just ONE way to 'test' yourself, it is not the end all be all for a poolplayer to improve. With the wealth of information available, including lessons from qualified instructors, there are many expert and pro players out there who do not gamble. Just because you cannot 'find' them, does not mean they don't exist.

Scott Lee

Kamixel
07-28-2005, 04:14 PM
I disagree with you on this Scott. I never said you could not be good without gambling, I only said you will not reach your full potential. Once enough money is on the line to get you out of your comfort zone (for some it's $1 for others it's $1000 or more)the level of concentration is raised so extraordinarily that you will improve. For those of you who mentioned Ralph Souquet, yes there are exceptions to everything, and he may be one. But I still believe if he were to gamble with the Champions: 1. He would lose to most of them at first, and 2. His game would improve a notch.

Matt C.

bobroberts
07-28-2005, 05:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kamixel:</font><hr> I disagree with you on this Scott. I never said you could not be good without gambling, I only said you will not reach your full potential. Once enough money is on the line to get you out of your comfort zone (for some it's $1 for others it's $1000 or more)the level of concentration is raised so extraordinarily that you will improve. For those of you who mentioned Ralph Souquet, yes there are exceptions to everything, and he may be one. But I still believe if he were to gamble with the Champions: 1. He would lose to most of them at first, and 2. His game would improve a notch.

Matt C. <hr /></blockquote>Key word being gamble not hustling.

Kamixel
07-28-2005, 07:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> [quote=KamixelLots of nice funsies players but they will definitely reach a ceiling and stop improving. Sorry JMHO.

Matt C. in Va
<hr /></blockquote>

Matt C...I would have to disagree with you here! Although gambling is just ONE way to 'test' yourself, it is not the end all be all for a poolplayer to improve. With the wealth of information available, including lessons from qualified instructors, there are many expert and pro players out there who do not gamble. Just because you cannot 'find' them, does not mean they don't exist.

Scott Lee

Maybe a few ok players that do not gamble. But VERY few good players and even fewer pros that do not gamble.

<hr /></blockquote>

Scott Lee
07-29-2005, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kamixel:</font><hr> [Maybe a few ok players that do not gamble. But VERY few good players and even fewer pros that do not gamble.

<hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

Kamixel...We'll just have to agree to disagree. Most pros gamble because they HAVE to, to make a living. When someone reaches a certain skill level, who's going to gamble with them (unless they are trying to hustle... another deadend)? Someone who plays just as good as them (a crapshoot), or someone getting giant weight (another crapshoot...most of the time). Neither one is a solid or easy way to make a living. Probably why most 'pro' poolplayers are broke much of the time. The smart ones do something else to make a living, and play pool on the side.

Scott Lee

Kamixel
07-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Scott,
Now I will agree with your last post. I myself made that choice to have a job and a family. Made a living playing pool for a few years and I had a good time, but at the end of the day what do you have.....nothing! Now I rarely get a chance to play serious pool and it shows as I no longer can beat anybody /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif but I have a whole lot more than when I played pool for a living. Don't regret my decision at all.

Deeman2
07-29-2005, 04:25 PM
Congratulations to Keither.