PDA

View Full Version : loss of focus and inspiration

sack316
07-25-2005, 01:25 PM
hey gues and gals, this kind of goes off of the "i'm in a slump" thread, cuz I've kind of hit one too. And as much as I hate that I'm in one, I'm sure it's mainly due just to my lack of focus, concentration, and just caring in general. Like last night in league for instance, I just didn't care tio be there and wasn't much in a mood for people in general. Anyway, they work it out to where me and another good shot will play the last match because everone wasnts to see us play to 1) see a great match and 2) he and I have had some matchups before, but never since we have gotten sober (as we were formerly two renound drunks)
Yet of course since I was just out there in a crappy mood I played exactly that way... crappy. And I proceeded to take one of the worst whoopings I have ever taken. The worst part was that I didn't really care.
I want to play like me, and do well for me team (especially since playoffs start tomorrow). Maybe it's working in the heat all day and being so tired that evening, or maybe I'm burned out, or stressed, I just don't know. but I have never been to where I didn't care about a match and that scares me.
Any ideas on motivation tools, or what may be going on in my crazy little head? Any help is appreciated, and you guys have never let me down before!

Sid_Vicious
07-25-2005, 01:35 PM
You've been reading my mail! I know exactly where you're coming from...sid

Billy_Bob
07-25-2005, 03:19 PM
I used to drink quite a bit when playing pool. Then I quit drinking. It took me quite awhile to learn to play sober. But now I play much better than I ever did while drinking. So for that, give it some time.

So far as rather being somewhere else than playing pool or playing in a tournament, when I am like this, I lose or play poorly. But when I have nothing better to do, am bored, want to get out of the house, want to socialize, etc. Then that is when I play my best. So maybe take a break from pool or reduce your playing if feeling like this a lot?

So far as the heat goes, I don't feel like doing much of anything when it is hot. For that I say... Fall is around the corner (If you live in the north that is!)...

sack316
07-25-2005, 03:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> I used to drink quite a bit when playing pool. Then I quit drinking. It took me quite awhile to learn to play sober. But now I play much better than I ever did while drinking. So for that, give it some time.

So far as rather being somewhere else than playing pool or playing in a tournament, when I am like this, I lose or play poorly. But when I have nothing better to do, am bored, want to get out of the house, want to socialize, etc. Then that is when I play my best. So maybe take a break from pool or reduce your playing if feeling like this a lot?

So far as the heat goes, I don't feel like doing much of anything when it is hot. For that I say... Fall is around the corner (If you live in the north that is!)...
<hr /></blockquote>

I actually have played better since sobering up also (it'll be one year on Aug. 17), I think I'm probably just a little burned out physically from working so much that when the evening come and it's time to shoot 'em up my body decides it's not in the mood to cooperate. I'm gonna lounge around tonight, take tomorrow off of work and get rested up, then it's off to the playoff match tomorrow night. I'll let ya know if the day or two of vegging out helps me to refesh a little and get back on my game.

p.s. on a side note, since I've been in this little funk my poker game has come full circle and have been doing quite nicely in that aspect... hmmm... maybe I'm only capable of doing well in one or the other at a time.

Cane
07-26-2005, 05:23 AM
sack, man, that heat can kill ya! And it can kill your attitude towards recreation of all kinds. I don't know why I'm posting here, except to say that I worked cleaning out the shop at my old house in 107 weather yesterday and I didn't feel like even practicing last night. Went out to dinner and then did my couch potato immitation. Today I'll be setting up the shop here at the new place... a cool front today. Only supposed to be 102. I'm sure I won't be too enthusiastic about going to league tonight, but usually once I get there, I get a little more into the game.

Maybe it's just the heat of the summer that's got you down. Pray for cooler weather!

Later,
Bob

Fran Crimi
07-26-2005, 07:58 AM
I'm not a doctor, but your symptoms describe what I experienced the first time I went to a tournament in Vegas. It was over 100 every day and each day I became weaker and weaker and had to drag myself to my matches with no desire to play.

I couldn't figure out what was going on. I had a bottle of water with me at all times and was making sure I wasn't dehydrated, but it continued to get worse. I finally figured it out the last day I was there. I should have been drinking sports drinks to replenish the electrolytes and potassium I was losing in mass quantities by sweating. Water isn't enough.

When I got home I did some research and found that my symptoms clearly described a severe potassium deficiency.

Summer is tough. Make sure you don't dehydrate and also replenish those minerals that can't be replaced by just drinking water.

Even in the winter, we equate slumps with psychological issues, but things like stress can drain us of important vitamins and minerals. Nowadays, if I fall into a slump, the first thing I address is nutrition.

Fran

sack316
07-26-2005, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I'm not a doctor, but your symptoms describe what I experienced the first time I went to a tournament in Vegas. It was over 100 every day and each day I became weaker and weaker and had to drag myself to my matches with no desire to play.

I couldn't figure out what was going on. I had a bottle of water with me at all times and was making sure I wasn't dehydrated, but it continued to get worse. I finally figured it out the last day I was there. I should have been drinking sports drinks to replenish the electrolytes and potassium I was losing in mass quantities by sweating. Water isn't enough.

When I got home I did some research and found that my symptoms clearly described a severe potassium deficiency.

Summer is tough. Make sure you don't dehydrate and also replenish those minerals that can't be replaced by just drinking water.

Even in the winter, we equate slumps with psychological issues, but things like stress can drain us of important vitamins and minerals. Nowadays, if I fall into a slump, the first thing I address is nutrition.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

they thanks fran, my mind had pondered that as a possible problem, but it had yet to wrap a solution. I'll down some gatorade and vitamins, and hopefully with me actually getting a full and good nights sleep, maybe my attitude will be better.
To clarify, my attitude about the whole thing was my main concern. I don't mind losing a good match, I don't mind having an off night or even a losing streak because I know it's all a part of the cycle... but the fact that I just didn't give a crap from the get-go is something that is very out of character for me. Thank you all for your responses!

bluey2king
07-27-2005, 01:37 PM
For me Sleep!! I need a good nights rest before!! If I can I squeese in a Nap when I am really tired. It helps with my sence of humor and I dont get uptight over little things, in General I just focus better.

Stick
07-27-2005, 02:48 PM
That happened to me this weekend. I was debating wether or not to play in a tournament. I decided to play and got there just at 12:00 when the tournament was supposed to start. Well it got a late start and I got a bye in the first round, so I did not start playing my first match until 3:00 pm! By that time I was just thinking about how nice the weather was (for a change) and wishing I was somewhere else. Needless to say I played horribly.

My advice, take some time away from pool and enjoy some other things in life. Play when you really want to play. Hopefully when you do get back to the pool hall you will be excited to play again. Maybe watch a good pool video too.

Stick