PDA

View Full Version : Hey Dr. Dave - Closed bridge and draw...

Billy_Bob
07-27-2005, 07:18 AM
I've noticed a lot of people say they draw better when using a closed bridge. I have noticed this myself.

But why? Seems the shaft would want to move down and that an open bridge would support any shaft movement downward?

...Wait! I just looked at my open bridge and my closed bridge...

With my open bridge, there is just my thumb sticking up in the air for support - pressing downward on the shaft easily moves my thumb down.

With my closed bridge, I notice I also move my 2nd to index finger over under the shaft, so I then have two fingers resisting downward movement of my shaft. So may not be the closed part which helps, but the moving over of the 2nd to index finger?

Maybe this would be an interesting thing for future high speed videos - looking at an open bridge during a draw shot -vs- looking at a closed bridge during draw shot?

Fred Agnir
07-27-2005, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> I've noticed a lot of people say they draw better when using a closed bridge. I have noticed this myself.

But why? Seems the shaft would want to move down and that an open bridge would support any shaft movement downward?
<hr /></blockquote> It's not what happens during the stroke, but what happens before the stroke. The top finger helps those that tend to raise the stick out of their bridge before contacting the cueball.

Fred

Bob_Jewett
07-27-2005, 10:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> I've noticed a lot of people say they draw better when using a closed bridge. I have noticed this myself.

... <hr /></blockquote>
Most people have lousy back-hand mechanics. I'm one of them. I have to close my bridge on hard shots to keep the stick in my bridge. The person who has the best draw where I play uses nothing but an open bridge for draw shots, even table-length warp-speed shots. He has control of his backhand. He's also a snooker player.

dr_dave
07-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Billy_Bob,

I agree with Bob and Fred that the main advantage of a closed bridge is that it prevents the cue stick from raising up during the stroke. I've heard other people claim a closed bridge is more stable, but I don't think this is true for everybody. I use an open bridge for most shots (even power draw), and I think my open bridge is just as stable as my closed bridge. Also, the open bridge has advantages that I like (see previous thread (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=176236&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1)).

I hope others will share and explain other reasons why they prefer a closed bridge for draw shots. Maybe there is something else we are missing.

Regards,
Dave

...Wait! I just looked at my open bridge and my closed bridge...

With my open bridge, there is just my thumb sticking up in the air for support - pressing downward on the shaft easily moves my thumb down.

With my closed bridge, I notice I also move my 2nd to index finger over under the shaft, so I then have two fingers resisting downward movement of my shaft. So may not be the closed part which helps, but the moving over of the 2nd to index finger?

Maybe this would be an interesting thing for future high speed videos - looking at an open bridge during a draw shot -vs- looking at a closed bridge during draw shot?
<hr /></blockquote>

bluey2king
07-27-2005, 01:24 PM
Billy is was just the oppsite for me. When I went to an open bridge I was able to keep my cue tip lower. One I was flexing my bridge hand on hard shots thus lifting the tip. I found this by using a target cue ball I could see I was not hitting it where I was aiming. Two open bridge allow better vision of the end of my cue stick. Three open bridge I focused better on the smooth stroke ie keeping it on my hand rather than just belting it. Try it left handed I think you will see what I mean.
Bluey