PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Cuttoff A Moori H For Another Moori H

Sid_Vicious
07-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Ok I've played with Moori hard tips and like them, but the last install from the same lot of tips is just not feeling anything like the same. I won't change to another manufacturer nor hardness on purpose so I wondered if anyone here has trashed a Moori thinking it was one of the rare, inconsistent ones...sid

SpiderMan
07-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Have you checked it under the binocular microscope?

SpiderMan

eg8r
07-28-2005, 10:42 AM
As in any manufacturing business there are tolerances. Not every single tip will be exactly the same as another, so I would suggest you cut it off and try again. If the problem reaches a point of consistency, then you might think about a different manufacturer.

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
07-28-2005, 11:35 AM
It's in my car today if you feel like looking at it, but yea, looks perfectly fine as far as I can tell. This'll be the first Moori I've cut off, but I guess that'll be just what I'll have to do to settle my mind. First thing I am going to though it shorten it by half to see if the crown may have something screwy with it. Oh well...sid

Barbara
07-28-2005, 12:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Ok I've played with Moori hard tips and like them, but the last install from the same lot of tips is just not feeling anything like the same. I won't change to another manufacturer nor hardness on purpose so I wondered if anyone here has trashed a Moori thinking it was one of the rare, inconsistent ones...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sid,

Just because Mooris are layered doesn't mean they can't be inconsistent within the same hardness rating scale they use.

I have two Moori Ms on my shafts and the tips are definitely different from each other. One tip is definitely harder than the other one. I had a similar difference in hardness with Talimans tips, too.

Barbara

Sid_Vicious
07-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Barbara...You probably isolated the situation. Regardless if it is or isn't abnormally hard, I'm going to chop it off and hardness test the remaining Moori tips I have on hand and select one from the lower end of the hardness range just to see is the cue responds again. No sense in twiddling at all with it...SidTheMooriTipKiller ;-)

Billy_Bob
07-28-2005, 02:58 PM
I have 3 cues with Moori III Hard tips and have replaced the tips a few times. So I would say I have bought, installed, and played with 5 or 6 Moori Hard tips. And they have all played the same (which is why I like them so much).

FYI - I bought all my tips at cuestik.com (because they have the best price). Also I use super glue, then that rubber band gizmo to hold tip down on shaft, then when tip centered on ferrule, glue still wet, I smash the cue into the wall to get rid of any air bubbles.

Barbara
07-29-2005, 08:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> SidTheMooriTipKiller ;-) <hr /></blockquote>

Sid, Sid, Sid....

Cutting a tip off and wearing it down to the thinness of a dime are two completely different things. And until you wear down two Moori tips to dime thinness in a 9 month period, then we'll have something in common. But until then, I'm still the Head Tip Killer around here, so don't you forget that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara

Sid_Vicious
07-29-2005, 08:56 AM
You got that did ya ;-) sid