PDA

View Full Version : This shot came up last nite..

Tom_In_Cincy
06-16-2002, 11:50 AM
The shot was made by my opponent, (he usually will shot a safety in this situation) but for some reason he was feeling a little froggy. (copy the START(.... )end data below and paste into the wei table and see the table setup for this shot)

START(
%AQ3N2%Bq7P9%CE8T1%DE6I3%Ek2R0%FY7Y0%GJ0E8%HK7Z6%I Q6X4%Pp1Y6
%UR8O0%Vo1Y5%WD2O0%XQ8N7%Yi5C9%ZC4N8%]D6D6%^P5M7%eC1`6
)END

The inside english (top right) allowed the cue ball to head to the end rail with just enough speed to come back down table for a shot on the two ball.

He told me that he compensated for the squirt by aiming at the one ball as if he was aiming it directly into the middle of the end rail. I had to try this shot 10 times before I finally made it.. Practice drill time.

06-16-2002, 02:39 PM
I am clueless.
What, where, or who is the WEI table??

Thanks in advance..
Carson

Sid_Vicious
06-16-2002, 03:06 PM
Not being less than respectfull bit I have to ask...is it not just a chance that the zone percieved for shape was as much seen as end-rail to end-rail, and that the spin back for the angle on the long rail for the 2 was one of those things us 9-ballers leave to us "lookers" to believe as "what we planned?" I studied for the best safety here and somehow came back figuring that the follow stroke of agression was "the" way to hit this shot(MPO)....sid~~~again I ain't saying it wasn't intended but there was a hell of a zone for that stroke

Barbara
06-16-2002, 03:08 PM
Go down to heater451's post on the WEI table. He's got the intstructions posted on how to use it. It's a software application that allows you to "place" a table setup and the program copies it into a string of characters so that all you have to do is copy the string of characters and click on "paste" at the WEI table location and you can view the table setup.

It was sritten by some guy in his spare time. Fred Agnir has more info on this. It's a way cool program to view shots.

Barbara~~~a computer software geek, but not THAT BIG of one...

Tom_In_Cincy
06-16-2002, 03:13 PM
Carson,

from a previous post from this weekend about the WEI table.

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=ccbboard&Number=18375& page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=2&fpart=

Tom_In_Cincy
06-16-2002, 03:27 PM
Sid,
I agree with your observation, and that the safety would have been the normal shot.

The top right (inside english) according to my opponent was to make sure that the cue ball came down the top side of the table to get the angle on the 2 ball for a shot and then shape on the 3 ball. There wasn't much of a problem to get out after he made the one ball.

Sid_Vicious
06-16-2002, 06:05 PM
Tom...To continue the discussion, what was the safety you would've stroked? Thanks for the counter, this is fun...sid

SPetty
06-16-2002, 09:10 PM
It would be totally great if, when you use the WEI table to diagram shots and post them here, that you include a link to the WEI table itself as well!

06-16-2002, 11:30 PM
START(
%AQ3N2%Bq7P9%CE8T1%DE6I3%Ek2R0%FY7Y0%GJ0E8%HK7Z6%I Q6X4%Pp1Y6
%UR9N5%Vo1Y5%WD2O0%XQ8N7%Yl8P4%ZC4N8%[M4D6%\Q5M2%]D8R2%^M0D0
%eB0a4
)END

I might have tried this but im fairly aggressive I might have gone for the shot also although i think its about a 30% shot or worse for me with that much inside and an elevated cue because of the closeness to the rail... I think the safety would be more prudent.

06-16-2002, 11:31 PM
read a thread that was made a few days ago about a downloadable version works great.

Rod
06-17-2002, 02:07 AM
Quote, He told me that he compensated for the squirt by aiming at the one ball as if he was aiming it directly into the middle of the end rail.I had to try this shot 10 times before I finally made it.. Practice drill time.

That is a low percentage shot Tom. Having said that it is tempting enough that I might shoot it though. If I had to aim as far off as your friend did, I'd never shoot that shot. My aim would be about 2" left of the corner. It is good for practice just so you have a good idea where to aim at that distance with english. Where did you aim the 1 ball? Maybe all these people with predator shafts might care to say where they aim the ball? It is individual on where we aim, but in the end the smoothest stroke gets more results. You want to penetrate the 1 ball and a hit at type of stroke will not work.

On the other hand you can shoot more of a stun type of stroke and play the c/b two rails back up to the same area, with left english, since the lanes are open. It would have to be shot fairly crisp. Here again, if the aim is correct, it's all in the stroke. For anyone who hasn't tried these types of shots, I think it should be shot at a closer distance in the begining. At least to the point where there is more room for a bridge and a more level cue. The other shot, START(
%AQ3N3%Bq7P9%CE8T1%DE6I3%Ek2R0%FY7Y0%GJ0E8%HK7Z6%I Q6X4%Pp1Y6
%UR8O5%Vo1Y5%WD1X4%XQ5O5%Yi5C9%ZC4N8%[g0H3%\F5Z8%]D6D6%^P5M7
%eA5a7
)END

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/preset/9ball.html

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/download/pooltable2.exe

Fred Agnir
06-17-2002, 06:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> He told me that he compensated for the squirt by aiming at the one ball as if he was aiming it directly into the middle of the end rail. I had to try this shot 10 times before I finally made it.. Practice drill time. <hr></blockquote>

The aimpoint is specific to the cue, I'd say. That shot, with that length has an aimpoint (for the object ball) for me left of the pocket by just a little. I'd not sure how hard you had to hit that ball to get it back down table, but it seems from that position, swerve would have played a significant role.

I'm not trying to toot my horn, but this is one of those shots that I don't consider difficult anymore. I owe it to the understanding of how squirt is incorporated in my game.

Here's a challenge shot of a similar style taught to me by Grady nearly 15 years ago (when he opened my door to the world of squirt).

START(
%BN6O6%IP6D5%P\7T3%QA6E8%WD5D6%XM8N8%YW7D4%ZD6S3%[P2Q0%\[3S9
%eC1a1%_E1T2%`L1R7%aO3P4
)END

The idea is to come up between the 9 and side pocket with a similar pattern. Depending on stroke and table conditions, keep moving the cueball to the right (towards the side pocket by the 9ball) to see just how far you can go and still get the position. I use a high spin/speed stroke much like any high spin draw shot, aiming the object ball at point A (I shoot with a Schuler).

Fred

Sid_Vicious
06-17-2002, 09:36 AM
Conservative, what I saw too. As long as the 1 ball ends back by the 2, anywhere on the same short rail away from the corner, you've done most of the job. The natural speed of the hit on the one to get the distance down table should allow your CB to roll far enough to pinch to the short rail and maybe optimally behind the 3. Bottom line is that it is about as safe as you can play that for a safety and yes, it would be there in the thoughts when deciding the way to play the one. It does make one think twice, especially with having to shoot over the rail...sid

SPetty
06-17-2002, 09:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr> read a thread that was made a few days ago about a downloadable version works great. <hr></blockquote>Yes, it does. Thanks - that'll work!

Ryan
06-17-2002, 11:18 AM
I haven't read the previous responses, but it appears that the easiest way to duplicate the shot would be to shoot the CB w/follow while aiming the left side of the ferrule directly in line with the left edge of the one.

Eric.
06-17-2002, 12:33 PM
Nice shot. I do tend to use inside english on a fair amount of shots, although that one, due to the distance of travel, would not be my choice with an open rack!

Tom_In_Cincy
06-17-2002, 06:15 PM
That's the safety that I would have attempted. Good, diagram.

Tom_In_Cincy
06-17-2002, 06:20 PM
Rod,
I think that the fact that you are coming too close to the corner pocket, and that you must get by the 3 or the 8 ball is enough for me to not want to attempt your shot as it being too risky. I like the safety much better, and would never had tried to make the inside cut, like my opponent. I am just too conservative.

Rod
06-17-2002, 07:59 PM
Well Tom, like Clint says, a mans got to know his limitations! Either shot is not a bargain. I did shoot both of them today for a few minutes. I wasn't completely warmed up but made 5 of 5 with right english and good position. It doesn't take very much right because of the angle. When I missed I hit it fat. I found at that distance my aim is left edge of the pocket. There seemed to be a little swerve, if I did not hit it crisp enough. Just to let you know my bridge was on the slate inside the pocket. The other way was kind of tough, not quite enough angle. I made it 2 or 3 times and hit the 8 ball. I did manage to make it 2 times, but it takes a firm hit. The tables I play on are kind of slow. Good shot though, glad you brought it up.

Barbara
06-17-2002, 08:01 PM
Tom,

Nice shot!!! Thanks for sharing that with us!!

Barbara~~~would be satisfied to make the ball, period...

06-18-2002, 09:53 AM
thanks