PDA

View Full Version : apa rant..

dvsmnstr
07-29-2005, 10:05 AM
hey guys, something happend last night that really got under my skin.. I'm usally the calm cool captain who hates to argue with other teams. Well our last match the other team was short players so we had to pick someone to play twice. (our bylaws state if your short and a player is leaving early you have to notify the other team so they can get that match in) So I pick a player on there team and they all say "he has to leave he can't play" ok whatever I don't care so I pick someone else and as we are playing that guy who had to leave was STILL there.. ok maybe he has to leave soon.. then he is keeping score and playing on the other table in the bar?!?! he stays the whole night even after the match is played.. I just let it go and contacted my league op and hopefully he correct's this because it really got me pissed..

SpiderMan
07-29-2005, 10:43 AM
I played APA for two seasons a few years ago, and in our league such an action would certainly be worthy of protest. In that case, we had to protest in writing by detailing the incident on the back of the score sheet. The opponents would append their comments, if any. The LO might contact either for additional details, but he would make a decision prior to publication of the weekly stats.

SpiderMan

catscradle
07-29-2005, 11:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dvsmnstr:</font><hr> hey guys, something happend last night that really got under my skin.. I'm usally the calm cool captain who hates to argue with other teams. Well our last match the other team was short players so we had to pick someone to play twice. (our bylaws state if your short and a player is leaving early you have to notify the other team so they can get that match in) So I pick a player on there team and they all say "he has to leave he can't play" ok whatever I don't care so I pick someone else and as we are playing that guy who had to leave was STILL there.. ok maybe he has to leave soon.. then he is keeping score and playing on the other table in the bar?!?! he stays the whole night even after the match is played.. I just let it go and contacted my league op and hopefully he correct's this because it really got me pissed.. <hr /></blockquote>

Sounds to me like you were pretty calm about it, you let it continue to a finish and notified the LO. Maybe you were pissed, but you behaved well.
In leagues around here it's a forfeit, I like your rule better.

JPB
07-29-2005, 02:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I played APA for two seasons a few years ago, and in our league such an action would certainly be worthy of protest. In that case, we had to protest in writing by detailing the incident on the back of the score sheet. The opponents would append their comments, if any. The LO might contact either for additional details, but he would make a decision prior to publication of the weekly stats.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Nothing like a recreational activity that requires appellate briefing and oral argument. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Barbara
07-29-2005, 02:40 PM
That's just not right. The person should have left. Now that I know what it means to "put up" in the APA, I hope you didn't lose because of the situation.

In my truly recreational 8-ball bar league we play 11 games starting with a doubles and alternating with a singles game in between. You need to have 5 different shooters for the singles games or you automatically forfeit 3 games, but other than that, you only need 4 players to make up the 6 doubles games. Sometimes a team captain will request that the fifth player be allowed to play/pull all her games early and it's only a courtesy of the other captain to let this girl play her matches up front. I've had to request to leave early a couple times and fully expected the opposing team to refuse this request, but they didn't. One time another teammate of mine had a bad cold and was making up the fifth girl, but lingered for 3 games after the requisite singles game from her and that really irked the opposing team. I told her that beer wasn't going to make her cold go away and she had better go home. Yeah, the opposing team complained to the League Prez and since that was me, I offered to nix her win. She went home and they declined.

You were very tolerant of the situation and I applaud you. I hope the LO does right by you.

Barbara

OnePocketChamp
07-30-2005, 06:28 AM
I am also a APA team captain and the circumstances you described is an obvious violation of the APA rules of play, not to mention unsportsman like conduct. Now heres the kicker---you have to immediately protest the match by writing protest on your score sheet and describing the reason on the back. If you fail to do this then the match stands as played and your option to protest is waived.
I hope that you did not give this team a sportsmanship rating of 10 on your score sheet, which allows them the extra point.

TCIndepMo
07-30-2005, 08:30 PM
In my APA area (Kansas City and Mo suburbs) "double plays" are limited to teams with losing records ONLY and players will skill level of TWO or THREE only. This means only the weakest players, on the weakest teams, get to play twice so short handed teams are allowed to select their own player to play twice. This eliminates stuff like "no, you have to pick someone else because the player you selected has to leave in 5 minutes, etc". Doesn't solve every single problem, every single time but you don't have the problem of selected players declining then hanging around to watch anyway. Often these situations involve teams wanting to play their best sandbagger again. But, by limiting this to the weakest teams/players those complaints are reduced and it just means the suspected sandbagger would have a second match go into the database. If the TWO goes 2-0 in the same night, he probably won't stay a TWO for long.
BTW, I am the APA league operator in this area, I wrote this version of the rule for our LOCAL BYLAWS and it has been approved by the APA national office in St Louis. Other LOs might have their own idea on how to handle this as some do not allow "double plays" at all. But this works in the Kansas City,Mo APA area.