PDA

View Full Version : Another new Pool Room

Cane
07-31-2005, 12:23 AM
In these days when pool rooms seem to be closing right and left, it's great to see someone put an effort into opening a quality room. There is a NEW room in Fort Smith, AR. Although I know it's off the beaten path for most of you, if you're ever travelling down I-40 through Arkansas and Oklahoma, its close to the interstate and a great place to play.

The room is called Billiards Down Under. It's in the basement below a night club in Downtown Ft. Smith called Area 51. The room had 12each, 9' GCIII's PERFECTLY level with 860 Simonis. He also has a 12' Snooker table and a 10' 3 cushion table that he is going to put in very soon.
For those not into the 100" tables, there are at present, 6 Valley Cougar Bar Boxes there and maybe more to come. The room owner wants to make this a PLAYERS club... no loud music, no yelling, screaming, talking too loudly, making unnecessary noise, etc. Hopefully, this will be a quality room when the public catches on that it's there.

There will be bi weekly tournaments and larger tournaments as time goes on. I have absolutely NO financial interest in the place, but I'm going to talk to a couple of regional pro tour promoters and see if we can't get a good tournament there in the near future.

The place is really great, if you like the "old time" style pool room. You go down stairs in an 80 year old building to the basement. When you turn the corner, you see a line of 12 pro 9 tables, all perfectly neat and clean. No bar in the basement yet, but a snack bar, tables to sit at, plumbing exposed in the old basement ceiling, yet painted tastefully, and really reasonable rates. $3 an hour practice time in the daytime, $7.50 an hour after 8pm for two or more at a table. The owner makes it clear to those that are... hmmmmm... playing for something other than fun, that he does NOT expect or want a cut or any of the action, he doesn't want any kind of steering fee. All he wants is to give people a great place to play pool at a reasonable price. I'll be there for anything he has going on.

Later,
Bob

Vagabond
07-31-2005, 05:35 AM
What is the name and number of the Exit from I-40? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cane
07-31-2005, 07:23 AM
Vagabond,

LMAO... to tell you the truth, I don't know! I never go down that part of the interstate! I used all the backroads that the whiskey runners of the past used. For the locals, I'd say, "You know where you get off the Interstate to go by Belle Starr's old whore house? Well, just get off there, then head down Garrison past the old gallows and its right there before you reach the old Fort Church."

Seriously, if you ever pass through, just let me know. You get a free tour of the new room and all of our local dives... er, establishments!

Later,
Bob

PQQLK9
07-31-2005, 11:17 AM
Quote "You know where you get off the Interstate to go by Belle Starr's old whore house?

Now that might be worth the trip. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SPetty
08-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Area 51
812 Garrison Avenue

Vagabond
08-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Thank u M`am. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cane
08-01-2005, 11:22 AM
LMAO... Now that's bad. Spetty lives 240 miles from me and found the address before I did!

Bob (hanging head in shame)

SpiderMan
08-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Those are really good (low) table rates for a place that's trying to make it as a poolroom (not a "bar"). Is the ownership perhaps affiliated with the upstairs club?

SpiderMan